Cost of ua?

<p>I have found so many different costs for the total cost of out of state students. Can someone please tell me what the total cost is per year for an out of state student. I plan to enroll for fall of 2012.
Undergraduate student
I will be a business major
plan to house in a standard double occupancy
don’t need parking</p>

<p>Thanks for the help</p>

<p>In-State Description Out-of-State
$9330 Tuition and Fees $22630
$10781 Room and Board $10781
$1100 Books $1100
$1158 Transportation $1608
$2300 Miscellaneous $2860
$24669 TOTAL $38979</p>

<p>this is from [Financial</a> Aid - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://financialaid.ua.edu/faq/costs.html]Financial”>http://financialaid.ua.edu/faq/costs.html)
OOS costs are the column on the right.
WE are OOS and this year we will pay appx $33,000…that does not include books or transportation ,spending money, sorority ect…Hope this helps</p>

<p>Thanks for this info. What kinds of expenses would be under miscellaneous, and why would it be more for OOS since transportation is a separate expense? We just signed up for a southwest credit card and earned enough points for at least 2 free flights. DH also has Continental frequent flyer miles. We are hoping to keep the travel expenses down. I know that OOS students might have to rent a storage unit over the summer.</p>

<p>I would think that “misc” might be for things like spending money, sorority or fraternity dues, eating out, Target trips ect, t-shirts ect…just the extras of life. We give DD an specified amount of money each week to spend. She is expected to stay in her budget and for the most part does a great job. The sorority part of it is a big added expense. We knew that it would run about $3200 a semester and now that she lives in the house it’s a little over $6000. In addition she has her meals at the sorority (included in the $6000), $300 dining dollars each semester and we give her appx $300 in Bama cash per semester. Freshman year she had the Greek 50 meal plan that gave her 50 meals to use at the dining halls…she had 25 left first semester and 40 second…when she wasn’t eating at the house (they have no meals Friday dinner thru Sunday) she ate out. She generally goes through all the dining dollars as they can be used at a variety of places and we usualy have to add to the Bama cash at least once.<br>
Also we have never spent $1100 a year on books! We did spend over $500 last semester but she had a couple of courses that have several texts. We have alwyas just used the Supstore on campus (book store in the Ferg) and this semester we just spent $126…she is renting textbooks from them …WOW what a savings!!!
Yes…some OOS students do rent storage shed and they also will share them with other students…several CC’ers have done this.</p>

<p>The above estimate for R&B includes the price for Super Suites and you’ve asked for standard double pricing…so your cost would be much less.</p>

<p>Description Out-of-State
Tuition and Fees …$22,630</p>

<h2> Room and Board - about - $8,000 (This is for **Standard Double **and meal plan )</h2>

<p>Basic costs to the university…about $31,000</p>

<p>Books will be about 600-1000 depending on how economical you are (buying used, buying online, etc)</p>

<p>Transportation and personal expenses will exist no matter where you go. The amount that you spend on personal expenses will depend on each student. Some students are from more affluent families and those kids have generous allowances. Some kids work for their “pocket money” and are quite thrifty.</p>

<p>Why is transportation estimated so much? What is transportaion made up of?</p>

<p>m2k correct me if I am wrong but wouldn’t transportation be the costs of getting to and from school as well as perhaps shuttles from B’ham to campus…maybe possible gas and car expenses if a student had one at school? I’ve always thought that most school make this a little high to make sure and accommodate all students traveling from various places. I would suppose if you shop airline sales this would be lower…or even ride share and split gas. We live 11 1/2 hrs away by car…last year DD flew back and forth at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Plane tix were roughly $225 round trip. She now has her car on campus and so she drove home this year at Christmas only…gas appx $225 round trip.</p>

<p>*Why is transportation estimated so much? What is transportaion made up of? *</p>

<p>there isn’t a standard for what a school determines “transportation” to be. It’s not an expense paid to the school, so the student has control over how much is spent.</p>

<p>Some schools are ridiculous and only put like $200 for transportation so that they can pretend that their COAs are lower.</p>

<p>In truth…transportation is supposed to consider:</p>

<p>parking decal
gas/car expenses
plane travel to and from school for fall and spring and maybe winter break
taxis, public transportation, shuttles, ziprides, etc during the school year.</p>

<p>Obviously, not every student has all of those expenses, so there’s some kind of estimating that is done.</p>

<p>The $1608 travel estimation is likely assuming fall airfare, winter holidays airfare, spring airfare, airport shuttles, taxis, zipcars, etc, during the school year. </p>

<p>Obviously, many are not spending anywhere near that much. With carefully made flight arrangements, shared rides, etc, many are spending less than that.</p>

<p>* was wondering if you could give me a brekadown for ua over 4 years…if I have 70-75k college fund and parent help, how can I pay for it. I plan to get a part time job at ua and have a full time job in the summer.
*</p>

<p>So, have you recently found out that you have 70-75k in your fund? If so, then you have about $18k per year from that. </p>

<p>*Can you give me a four year breakdown on how to cover the costs, and let’s assume the total cost yearly is 36k. This is made up of tuition, fees, room and board, meal plan, travel costs, and books, and some personal costs.
*</p>

<p>Description Out-of-State
Tuition and Fees …$22,630</p>

<h2>Room and Board - about - $8,000 (This is for Standard Double and meal plan )</h2>

<p>Basic costs to the university…about $31,000</p>

<p>Books will be about 600-1000 depending on how economical you are (buying used, buying online, etc)</p>

<p>If you’re assuming that you’re going to spend another $5k in books, personal expenses, and transportation, then assume that for all schools that you’re looking at. </p>

<p>I don’t think a student has to spend that much.</p>

<p>No I ment 2k personal and books and stuff. Tuition cost 34k says on the website.</p>

<p>The official cost of attendance includes the cost of the more expensive super suite dorms. The cost m2ck is using includes the cost of the less expensive traditional dorms.</p>

<p>I tend to not include food and most incidental expenses when calculating costs as those costs are present no matter where one lives though the freshman meal plan may cost more than you usually spend making your own food. Simply put, can you afford to pay for OOS tuition and fees, textbooks, rent, transportation, and $500 for additional expenses (buying for one person is more expensive per person than buying for a family) on top of your current expenses?</p>

<p>* No I ment 2k personal and books and stuff. Tuition cost 34k says on the website
*</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>the tuition is about… $22,600
Double room and meal plan is about… $8,000</p>

<p>So, direct costs are about 30,600 (paid to the univ)</p>

<p>Books, personal expenses, travel will be about the same no matter where you go.</p>

<p>Would the 5 person room in burke cost the same as a super suite? </p>

<p>Sent from my MB860 using CC App</p>

<p>5 person suite in Burke is not priced like the Honors Super Suites.</p>

<p>that suite has 2 prices…</p>

<p>If you share a room, you get the double occupancy rate
If you get the lone single room, you pay the single rate.</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/MBE_fivestudentsuite.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/MBE_fivestudentsuite.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2011-2012_Residence_Hall_Rates.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2011-2012_Residence_Hall_Rates.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;