Direct Costs

I am trying to figure out what I will be paying for DS to attend UA. He received the presidential + engineering stipend. On his financial aid package, it states total COA is 47,000 for out of state. Parents, please help me figure out what the direct costs to the college will be for an OOS student. I will be calling the FA office in the morning, but truly perplexed by the 47,000 number. Thanks. #Roll Tide

If he is getting full tuition, his costs would be room, food (if a freshman he has to be on the unlimited plan), fees, and $650 annual dining dollar amount (which they can get back if they do not use.) Figure out travel costs depending on where you live to to get an approximate amount. After this, deduct the $2,500 engineering scholarship to give you your COA. My sophomore has both scholarships and is in the dorms both years (suite living which is more expensive). I can’t tell you to the dollar amount, but with travel costs (hotel rooms & gas for move-in/move-out, 3 round trip airfares, and shuttle costs), the amount we pay per year for him is in the $11,000-$13,000 range ($5,500 to $6,500 per semester.) It was a little less his sophomore year because he didn’t have the food plan, but he still had to eat so I think it cost us closer to $11,500-$12,000. Next year he will be in an apartment and for him, his costs will stay the same as we have to pay for a 12 months lease (you can find cheaper living, but we weren’t able to do this for him.) Depending on your son’s classes, fees might be a little more or a little less. We really don’t give our son extra money to spend (except for laundry) as all his needs are covered. What he needs, he uses his summer earnings.

@kjcphmom That’s what I thought… just scared me a little when I saw that number. I figured the total to be somewhere near the 40,000 range minus the scholarships, so was a little stunned to see the additional 7,000 listed as total COA. I was hoping they would publish the 16-17 costs on their website last week, but it hasn’t been updated yet. I will call in the morning and get final 16-17 numbers. Thanks for your info, helps put my mind at ease.

I don’t know if they have the final 2016-17 numbers (I think that comes out in July) but give them a call. I have no idea why your COA was so high. Take a look at their breakdown to see. If costs are a consideration, check out the traditional dorms. I know the cost is a lot less there.

These costs have been discussed here before. You could research the past threads for some in depth answers, just check the dates of the posts when referencing costs to make sure that you are making accurate comparisons.

Basically, the COA listed is always on the high side of dollars. This helps the students to obtain financial aid in the way of loans (If needed). The COA indicates tuition, room, board, fees, books, travel and living expenses. Some of the expenses are fixed such as tuition, others like board are based on the highest cost option available, other costs such as travel will vary widely.There are certainly ways to keep costs down, which has often been discussed here in many threads. You can save money if you wish to economize, but you have to make choices with your student on where and how to save money.

Here is a breakdown from UA’s website:
http://financialaid.ua.edu/cost/

This is also from the website:

What is the Cost of Attendance?
The Cost of Attendance (COA) is a student’s estimated budget, including direct and indirect costs. The COA includes tuition and fees; room and board; allowances for books and supplies; transportation; loan fees; and miscellaneous/personal expenses. Aid cannot be awarded above a student’s cost of attendance, but if you have an unusual expense that might affect your COA you may contact our office to determine if an increase to your budget is appropriate.

If you additional questions, just ask.

From http://financialaid.ua.edu/cost/:

Direct Cost = $39,630
Indirect Cost = $6,656
Total Cost - $46,286

The FA office will NOT be able to give you the COA for 2016-17 - it is typically not finalized until late June or early July. But you can reasonably expect it to be comparable. The only cost that’s likely to have any kind of noticeable increase (based on what we’ve seen over the past few years) is tuition & fees, and the amount of the Presidential Scholarship will be adjusted accordingly.

FWIW, the indirect costs are, to a certain extent anyway, within your control. Yes, your student has to have books, but you can rent, rather than buy, or buy used instead of new. (And if your student can get the instructor’s permission to use the 2005 edition of the textbook rather than the 2015 edition, your savings will be significant!) Depending on where you live, you may not be able to avoid transportation costs altogether, but if your student opts to stay on campus for Fall Break and Thanksgiving, rather than flying home, that will reduce your costs significantly. And the “miscellaneous” costs are absolutely within your control.

-In addition, while you cannot control the cost of the Freshman Food Plan, you are under no obligation to take a food plan for years two through four.
-Also, although you or your student may be planning on one of the “suite style” dorms, there are traditional dorms which are considerably less expensive. The majority of students move off campus after year one and can save money that way.
-Travel frequency/mode is entirely up to you. Choosing a dorm that is open during breaks is possible.
-Not having a car on campus = cost savings.

Thank you all for the replies. From the link above I can clearly see where they arrived at the 47000 for 16-17 based on all the indirect costs added in. I can splurge on the dorm if he gets a room in Ridgecrest and will save on Flights as I travel weekly for work and have significant points built up.

About dorms (and I know that this has been discussed at length elsewhere), suite-style housing is not necessarily the best option for incoming students. Traditional dorm housing (with shared rooms and a door opening directly onto a hallway) is more conducive to an open and friendly atmosphere. Students can keep the door open when they’re in the room and be able to say “hi” to people walking by in the hallway. So, as impressive as the Ridgecrest suites are, the less expensive Paty may be a better option, especially for a student who’s less outgoing.

The COA is padded purposely so that those who want “it all,” and are willing to pay/borrow for it all, can do so.

The most expensive dorms is included. If you choose the standard doubles, then that reduces cost by about $4k per year.

Textbook costs can be controlled by purchasing used or by renting. Personal expenses and travel costs can be controlled by being economical and using careful options.

As mentioned above, if the student doesn’t spend his Dining Dollars, those are returned at the end of the year, and then could be used to purchase the following year’s DD’s…and so on.

After frosh year, many either buy a much smaller meal plan…or no meal plan at all.

You’ll need to have a conversation with your child about Dining Dollars, personal expenses, and other economical ways to trim costs.

My older son was rather spendy his first semester, so he got a campus tutoring job…that allowed him to earn about $70 a week, and also kept him additionally busy so he had less time to spend money (ha ha).

I agree that, as plush as they are, the Honors suites at Ridgecrest are not necessarily the best option for every student socially.

And UA has recognized the need for more affordable options in Honors housing by adding a few less expensive options, one of which is Blount Hall, where my son and several engineering students ended up two years ago as part of the “honors overflow.” Was a great “happy medium” between suite housing and the more traditional dorms. So check it out, especially if you have an Arts & Sciences student or a Nursing/Business/Engineering/Etc. student who likes to socialize with liberal arts students. It’s a much smaller building, located adjacent to both the Ridgecrests and Paty – the latter of which is home of the very-popular-with-hungry-engineers Raising Cane’s AND the Engenuity Lab.

That end of campus is also the closest to the engineering complex. I will add it’s not the best location for those rushing, but plenty make it work.

Blount Hall: http://housing.ua.edu/halls/blount/

2016-17 Living Learning Communities (includes Honors options): http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/living_learning_halls.cfm

Paty Hall: http://housing.ua.edu/halls/paty/

Raising Cane’s: http://www.cw.ua.edu/article/2014/06/raising-canes-furthers-retail-residential-dining

ENGenuity Lab (“The ENGenuity Lab connects your academic, social, and career networks in one place.”): http://students.eng.ua.edu/programs/engenuity-lab/

One more thing, I don’t believe the 2016-17 housing rate sheet has been released yet, but this was the pricing for 2015-16:

http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2015-2016%20Residence%20Hall%20Rates.pdf

And you can view the individual halls here: http://housing.ua.edu/halls/?CFID=10909936&CFTOKEN=86681608

Freshman FAQ: http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/general_faq.cfm

Hope that helps!

I believe tuition has increased around 9% each year for the past 10 - 12 years. That won’t be decided until late June/early July, I believe.

^^ I don’t think the OOS tuition has increased by 9% each year. It seems to increase about 3-4% per year. Instate rates may have increased by that % but the base is much smaller.

I’m pretty sure the OOS tuition for my daughter’s senior year was $3,800 more than tuition for her freshman year (she started in fall 2012). That would be about a 16.5% total increase while she’s been at Bama, which, while not insignificant, is not a 9% per year increase. That doesn’t mean Southlander’s numbers - stated over 10-12 years - are wrong (I don’t know because I haven’t gone back that far), just that the percentage increases over the past few years aren’t that large. I think the percentage increases in in-state tuition have been higher over the past few years than OOS percentages, though.

The price between traditional dorm and the suite dorms can save about $4K a year, as can the off campus housing that is lower cost versus the places with the amenities. OP it sounds like you have a handle on the costs. Off campus, have to weigh out closeness to campus and if w/o a vehicle. The first year unlimited dining is what it is - it makes sure kids eat enough and maintains the campus dining. Dining Dollars unused can be used for other things and also later cashed out - however they know most students will use them up because it is easy swipe for coffee, etc on campus.

Just be sure your student doesn’t overload on the fall term so DS can make a good adjustment to college expectations and maintain the 3.0 for scholarships. Doing well that first semester, and mid-semester one signs up for the next semester courses. Keeping Honors standing (at least 3.3 GPA) and keeping the priority for classes. Most classes do post mid-term grades, esp for freshmen.

A number of smart scholarship students have not had to apply study skills etc in MS or HS, and one cannot win in college with the procrastination that some can get by with in HS. If an assignment is to be electronically submitted by 11:00 pm, at 11:01 pm it will be a zero. Reading the chapters and studying the material before it is discussed in class - otherwise you are behind; need to be able to ask questions by earlier prep. Getting the tutoring available for free on campus if needed, and not getting behind. Following the syllabus (esp in CH 101; having the pre-lab work electronically in well ahead of time, because if there is a problem where it won’t take it a few hours before the due time, no sympathy it is a missed lab).

UA is an exciting campus, but be sure son has the maturity to do well academically. Roll Tide!