Course selection HELP

I have to decide between taking AP Bio and continuing a chorus class I really love. I have taken both advanced chemistry and advanced physics, but I’ve seen that some colleges (like MIT) recommend taking advanced lab courses in chemistry/physics as well as bio. I’m planning on applying to MIT for economics, but mostly liberal arts colleges otherwise.

However, I’m not really interested in STEM courses (although I perform well in them). I’m also planning to list accompanying w/ piano as one of my activities, and I’ve accompanied my chorus for the past three years in addition to other ensembles. I’m worried that dropping chorus starting next year will look inconsistent.

What should I do??

Have you taken any HS level bio coursework?

No they don’t. Neither MIT nor any other college students or requires advanced coursework in all three (or even 2) main lab sciences.

Be aware that every single MIT student takes calc through MVC, calc-based physics, bio, and chem at MIT unless they have earned credit elsewhere.

5 Likes

I’ve taken the state standard minimum biology course for graduation.

Yes I think I misread the MIT website, I just checked again (they recommend 3 lab sciences but not advanced): What to do in high school | MIT Admissions

I understand that MIT specifically may not be a good fit for me. Overall though I’m wondering whether AP Bio will be more helpful in college admissions than dropping chorus is harmful. Also chorus isn’t weighted in our school so it is dragging down my GPA and class rank by a minor factor, too. But I do really love chorus.

Take the course you enjoy more

It’s not “dragging down” your gpa. It’s akin to a pimple on an elephant’s ass.

Chorus vs AP bio will not be the reason a college rejects you.

3 Likes

Take Chorus.

Why?

MIT admits 4.8% - and slouches aren’t applying.

So you give up what you love - and the odds are still highly stacked against you.

I guess I’m looking at it from a risk/reward perspctive.

Good luck.

1 Like

I didn’t realize elephants could own donkeys with complexion issues.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll keep that in mind.

I think you are fine since you have completed a sequence of bio, chem, and physics. Plus chorus is important to you and that should be a consideration as well.

Think about if you can fit another science in your schedule (maybe something like AP Environmental Science if offered ) to keep a well-rounded and rigorous academic program without giving up chorus.

2 Likes

I also think that you should take the class that is right for you. It sounds like this is chorus. Taking the classes that are right for you is going to make it more likely that you will get accepted to universities that are right for you (and yes this approach has worked well for us).

MIT is STEM heavy.

Different high schools in the US calculate GPA in very different ways. Top schools such as MIT and top ranked liberal arts colleges will look at your grades. I would not worry about how your high school computes GPA.

2 Likes

Surprised no one has posted this yet, but its worth a read: Applying Sideways | MIT Admissions

1 Like

Economics majors at various colleges vary in math intensity. MIT will be on the higher end of math intensity. If you want to go on to PhD study in economics, PhD programs expect additional upper level math and statistics courses as undergraduate preparation.

The only reason that I would recommend AP Bio for a person who wants to go into econ is that AP Bio is useful general information that can help you to understand, just a little, the basis of medical care in your future.

In your case, IF you are a truly talented accompanist, who can accompany college choruses or be the rehearsal pianist for musicals, this is something that can help you to get into colleges that don’t have associated conservatories or schools of music, since most colleges like to have a vibrant on-campus student performing arts scene, so capable accompanists are in demand. This might be the thing that moves you past the “good enough to accept, but so are 10,000 others, so put em on the wait list” pile into the “she has a talent we need, in addition to great qualifications” accept pile. I’m not saying that will happen at MIT, but it might happen at other schools, and meanwhile, having taken AP Bio instead of chorus won’t make enough difference at MIT or anywhere else, either.

So I’d say, do what you love (chorus) and try to parlay your accompanist abilities into the desired EC that gets you into a highly selective school that you want.

3 Likes

Thank you all so much for your advice!

2 Likes

It appears that sticking with chorus would be a better fit for you given your hobbies and long-term college goals. It would be beneficial to concentrate on your love of music and keep up with chorus since you do OK in STEM classes but aren’t especially interested in them. Focus your commitment to accompanying and taking part in ensembles, which demonstrates your passion and musical talent.

1 Like