Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

That page suggests that it is really loss of muscle that is the hazard for the elderly. It seems that they are trying to use weight or BMI as a proxy of muscle, just as it is often used as a proxy for body fat. Wouldn’t it make more sense to try to track muscle and body fat over time to see if there are any worrisome trends? Of course, such measurements may be more involved than just stepping on a scale.

2 Likes

I agree, but most of us are figuring BMI based on simple correlation of weight and height-- so it does make some sense to me. When I was going to the gym regularly in 2019 my weight crept up, and I’ve lost about 8 lb. during the Covid lockdown. And my home exercise routine is decidedly less intense and way less likely to build muscle – so if I had to guess, I think that I have lost muscle over the course of 2020. I don’t think that completely accounts for the weight loss – but it is something that I need to think about. I actually started to think about it when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis - at that time my weight was even lower (BMI of about 21).

Anyway, my comment was only in relation to covid eligibility guidelines. Given my age, I am already eligible and fully vaccinated. Needless to say, a BMI of 20 is on the thin side of normal, whether or not we older people can benefit from keeping our weights up in the higher ranges of the normal band.

2 Likes

BMI over 30 is obese, and BMI over 25 is considered overweight which is in some places considered a health condition in terms of getting the vaccine as it’s on a secondary list of conditions. So they very well could’ve meant 25 and not 20.

NJ recently pushed the BMI to be eligible from 30 down to 25 - they also added type 1 diabetes, dementia, and moderate asthma to the conditions list. They also are phasing in educators, restaurant workers, and grocery workers.

In Ca BMI has to be 40 to qualify. It’s frustrating as each state sets their own qualifications.

2 Likes

NJ is close to a free-for-all (since BMI > 25 is two thirds of the adult population), while CA seems to be trying to get as many people in each priority group (particularly the lower SES ones who have more difficulty in the rationing competition) vaccinated before moving on to the next priority group.

People will complain either way. Probably the forum demographic (mostly high SES, computer savvy, able to travel, and able to take time off during the day) will be favored more in free-for-all situations where there will be more intense competition to get rationed vaccines.

2 Likes

yep I agree about NJ - between anybody who ever smoked and the endless list of conditions - basically everybody is eligible (which is why it is so hard to get an appointment)

Yes it was, she felt horrible, the only place she had been was the grocery store. She gave it to another friend too (they dined in one if those outdoor bubbles) and her husband. So far I’ve had it, my husband, and 3 of our children (only 1 who lives at home).

So I asked my sister in law, who is a director/RN at a hospital in the state, she recommends waiting the 90 days for the vaccine, and she’s had a ton of experience with covid patients and that’s their recommendation for patients. Unfortunately I think it’s too early to have a definite answer.

2 Likes

There is a Facebook page, NJ vaccine hunters, where folks not only share tips but many try to find appointments for those not able to get them for themselves.

We have CO Vaccine Hunter FB group. It’s very helpful, and I am impressed by the volunteers that help strangers needing a bit more assistance. (It crossed my mind that here is slight risk there sharing personal info, but happily no credit card numbers needed to sign up.)

3 Likes

90 days is the CDC recommendation for those that received monoclonal antibodies, but the official science (so far)says, “there is no recommended minimum interval between infection and vaccination.”

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html#SARS-CoV-2-infection

2 Likes

H and I will now be eligible week after next. Only a very few private sites, and none of the govt. sites, are allowing registration for vaccine appointments if you’re not currently eligible. I’ve got us signed up at two, but based on comments on area forums it seems unlikely that we’ll get any vaccine within the next month. I plan to stay up late (or set my alarm) to try registering just after midnight and again at 6:30 a.m. as soon as we qualify.
We have multiple risk factors, but that hasn’t made any difference here.

After seeing the large number of Covid-19 deniers and erroneous claims about vaccines in our area, I am surprised by how swamped the vaccination sites have been.

I’ve definitely have heard a mix of recommendations. I’m 2 week in now, and still wake up every morning with a fever, so I might just take the more cautious route.

In CT everyone 16 or older will be eligible for the covid vaccine as of April 5!

11 Likes

In CA here…oh what a cluster!!

First round, CA had a system based on job-based risk. It included the usual top priority groups - HC providers, assisted living residents and staff, home health care, etc.

Then CA had a very convoluted next step…it factored in workers’ risk of exposure so transportation workers were at a higher priority than water and sanitation workers. Also, ‘equitable’ distribution was a top driving principle…which of course lead to an immediate spat of who - exactly - was more underserved and vulnerable.

With the above in place CA found itself in a solid 50th position when calculating amount of vaccine actually distributed. So, because so much of the stuff was sitting in freezers, and not in peoples arms, additional supply was limited…because well…you are supposed to use what you have before asking for more.

So…CA decided to move to an age based system…to make things easier and faster…

Those 65+ were moved to the second tier which included

-Educators
-childcare - daycare, foster care and library staff
-food and ag (including production, processing and delivery, farms, animal care and forestry)
-fire and law enforcement
-emergency services (including utility workers, disaster workers, shelter staff and social workers)

After this group came the 55+…except that’s not what is/has happened.

Since the agreement to move to an age based system, the following have been moved to the front of the line:

• individuals 16-64 at high medical risk
  • transit and transportation workers
  • the homeless and incarcerated
  • those living in congregate settings.
  • communities identified as underserved (via zip code)

The above resulted in 40% of the vaccine supply held on reserve for certain underserved communities and 10% for educators. CA now hovers around the 43-45th position in vaccine distribution based on available supply.

Now mind you, one does not need to present documentation for an underlying health condition, and if one goes to a mass vaccination site - you pretty much don’t have to prove ANYTHING, you simply ‘self attest’. The exception is for health care providers - they need to show proof.

Oh, and CA was sending out special secret codes to certain groups which could then be entered into the registration system. Turns out folks were forwarding those codes to others. So now they send out ‘one time only’ codes.

All of the above has resulted in some pretty crazy stuff…

• If one makes labels for the wine industry one is technically food and ag - and qualifies
  • If one volunteers at a language school - only held on Saturdays, hasn’t been in person since March 2020 and won’t be in person until at the earliest Sept 2021 - one got the special educator code.
  • One county decided that educators NOT in the classroom would get priority over those who WERE in the classroom - because - well, if you’re in the classroom you are clearly comfortable while those who have refused to return to in person were not comfortable. Hence, we must make the uncomfortable - comfortable.

Included in the currently eligible:

• Uber drivers, Uber eats delivery folks, etc
  • Anyone in the Cannabis industry is considered to be a HC worker.
  • The construction worker who happens to be building an addition to a hospital - yup - eligible
  • the construction worker in downtown SF who ‘engages’ with the street living population - not eligible
  • the person who provides marketing and positioning services to a local hospital - yup, considered ‘secondary HC worker’

And some wonder why there is rampant line jumping in CA…maybe it’s because we don’t have a line…we have Woodstock.

9 Likes

D was a volunteer vaccinator today. Her medical group has volunteered several days. This was a second dose clinic so people had a lot of questions about side effects, but all were very appreciative.

1 Like

Oh…wait…there’s more on the CA front. According to CA - a BMI of 40 gets you to the front of the line.

BUT…if you live in SF…a BMI of 30 gets you in the line…

The registration system only gives you the option of a BMI 40 or greater. So…SF says just say 40…even if you are 30…it’s okay…

It’s safe to assume the check in process will not involve a scale or a measuring tape…

6 Likes

I am sorry,@dietz199, it does seem dysfunctional in California right now. Hope you are able to get a vaccine soon-fingers crossed for you.

1 Like

It might be where you live. I am VERY HAPPY with things in my bay area county – getting my vaccine was seamless and I haven’t seen anyone complaining on Next Door. 31% of the adult (over 16) population has been vaccinated, and 47% of those have completed the vaccination series. We are down to a 1.3% positivity rate on Covid tests, only a handful of people currently hospitalized for Covid.

And the process of getting a vaccine locally is pretty seamless for those of us who opt to participate in the county’s mass vaccination drive-through events.

3 Likes