Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location

KFF surveys suggest that about 61% want to get the vaccine ASAP (or have already gotten it).

However, this varies considerably by demographic groups. Some parts of the state are probably quite close to general availability due to high rates of vaccine refusal, while other parts of the state probably have at least two months to go before general availability (and three and a half months before everyone who wants a vaccine gets fully vaccinated).

Someone told my daughter that she was eligible a couple of days ago based on one of her campus jobs, and she got an appointment nearly immediately near campus. She got her first shot today. She is immensely relieved sheā€™ll be fully vaccinated before flying home in May.

11 Likes

But they are limiting themselves if they will only go to places within walking distance.

I live in a city and if I only went to places I could walk to, that would limit me to two Kroger pharmacies (each about a mile) and if I really wanted to stretch my legs, there is a Walgreens about 3 miles and a Safeway about 4 miles. I shop at the Safeway all the time and the last time I was there there was a line of about 10 people waiting for vaccines, waiting out in the regular part of the store and then going into a VERY small waiting room for the shot and 15 minute waiting period. Personally, Iā€™d take the chance of a taxi or Uber (offered for free in many areas) to a better clinic set up than the local pharmacies that werenā€™t designed to be clinics. In the fall when these pharmacies do flu shots, they do them in the parking lot and donā€™t have a 15 minute observation period.

If they do not feel safe at any other setting (or getting to those settings), they are just going to have to wait longer. There is talk of them setting up mobile clinics to reach more inner city locations and under served communities, but those will take longer to set up and figure out. Right now, most states are pushing quantity over convenience. How many shots can they get into arms and how quickly.

Georgia is offering vaccines to everyone 16+. The private school my daughters attend is holding vaccinations for all staff, students, and family members. Wake is doing first come , first served vaccines for students currently. Havenā€™t heard about Northwestern.

1 Like

I wonder if that is the same private school my daughter works at. did not know they are doing families as well. D got her first dose 3 1/2 weeks ago on her own when it opened to educators (she is a full time sub)

Everyone over 16 is as of today in CT. We have a lot of mega sites, plus the health districts are doing mobile units in places that arenā€™t closer to a larger site. It will be interesting to see if folks have trouble schedulingā€¦because in the last two weeks that hasnā€™t been an issue from what Iā€™ve heard.

DH just left to get his second shot.

3 Likes

NYS opened to everyone over 30 on Tuesday and drops that to 16+ next week. While I was able to get appointments for most of my family in the first 15 minutes at a new mass site about 45 minutes from NYC, there have been very few appointments available anywhere since then. If an appointment opens up at a city, state or pharmacy site (Iā€™m looking for something earlier for one of my kids), it is gone by the time I can click on it. They met Bidenā€™s early deadline for making people eligible, but thereā€™s still not enough supply. I wonder if CT will find something similar, @thumper1?

thank you for the tip about PA, @vpa2019! We got an appointment in PA! so relieved.

4 Likes

Is NYS opening to ALL 16+ or just those with preexisting conditions?

All 16+ in NYS as of 8am on April 6th. My D reported the new state site in Rockland County, NY was pretty empty and very organized this morning.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to schedule my 16 and 18 year old this morning with no luck yet. Iā€™m sure all the websites are just inundated today. Iā€™m confident Iā€™ll be able to find them both an appointment in the next week or so if I just wait a few days since there were plenty of appointments days ago.

1 Like

The Patch lists locations of Westchester County vaccine locations every Monday. Also, try a s s e m b l y. state. ny. us without the spaces for a list of new locations just added.

You donā€™t have to type the link that way. assembly.state.ny.us is fine.

1 Like

Maine opening up vaccines to people 16 and over next Wednesday, April 7. Hey, just realized thatā€™s my daughterā€™s 23rd birthday!

3 Likes

Itā€™s interesting to hear of ā€œvaccine tourismā€ and people getting vaccinated in another state. In New Hampshire, Gov. Sununu is not even allowing out-of-state college and boarding school students to be vaccinated. He says they should travel back to their home states. :thinking:

Did mine at the Delta Museum parking lot. Didnā€™t even have to get out of the car. Daughters did theirs at Publix and had to go inside.

4 Likes

Just SMH on that one!

Found a site just an hour and a half away from us in PA where theyā€™ve been having spots left open for at least a few days now - so DIL and son will be getting theirs on Monday!

Sheā€™s high risk due to asthma, so qualifies anyway. He technically works in food production/agriculture (itā€™s how he earns his living) so is on the list ā€œenoughā€ to make it work. Both wanted the vax, but were unwilling to travel super far or take any spots from those more at risk. Since these spots have remained open for days (vs minutes) with appointments on Monday, none of us feel guilty about their signing up.

Theyā€™ll be getting Pfizer - just like the rest of our family! Soon our chips will all be in sync and Iā€™m told if we go into 5G territory weā€™ll be able to access the internet with just our mind. :grinning:

8 Likes

Pretty sure you meant 16 and older

AUGUSTA (WGME) ā€“ Governor Janet Mills announced Thursday that all Mainers age 16 and older will be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine beginning Wednesday, April 7.

More positive Pfizer data from original trial participants:

Vaccines providing lasting immunity and working against variants are both big deals.

4 Likes