Credit Hours allowed on merit scholarships

<p>How many hours are allowed to be taken per semester? </p>

<p>I know at some colleges (like Georgia) 15 hours are needed to be considered full time. I think UA is still 12 hours for full time? is there a “normal” load for Honors college kids or those on the Presidential scholarship? </p>

<p>Just trying to get an idea so the incoming students don’t take more (or less) hours than they should. Thanks!</p>

<p>A student on the Presidential, Crimson or National Merit package can take up to 20 hours a semester. Full time is 12 hours. Many students take 15 or 16. Sometimes, those who are in the sciences/engineering take 17 or 18. </p>

<p>My son, who is a junior, is taking 18 this semester. He’s well ahead on credit numbers, but he liked the course selection.</p>

<p>For an incoming student, I’d recommend at least 15 hours. You should not be overwhelmed, nor should you be bored.</p>

<p>presidential scholarship will cover at least 18 hours/semester. a friend with only the collegiate scholarship found out the hard way that it only covered 1/2 tuition for 16 hours.</p>

<p>The Presidential will cover up to 20 credits per semester</p>

<p>Although, most schools consider 12 credits to be “full time” (which is typically for FA purposes), a student usually has to take at least 15 credits each semester to graduate on time (unless the student has a lot of AP Credits).</p>

<p>while an incoming frosh with AP credits might only take 13-14 credits that first semester, I think most scholarship kids take around 16/17 credits each semester so that they can graduate on time.</p>

<p>Any specific posting on the University of Alabama website showing the national merit scholarship covering up to 20 hours? I want to be positive it’s covered before I sign up for 18.5 hours.</p>

<p>I don’t think there is anything on the website, but since many kids with the Presidential/NMF sign up for that many hours and have it covered, we know you won’t get charged.</p>

<p>There’s nothing to fear. Sign up for your classes, if a charge shows up, then contact Scholarships and they’ll cover it. If for some odd reason it doesn’t get covered, then you just drop a class. </p>

<p>Someone here might have a copy of the letter from Dr. Judy Bonner stating that the scholarship covers up to 20 credits.</p>

<p>That said, as an incoming frosh, you may need to get a signature to take that many credits for fall…not because of any scholarship issue, but because that’s considered a heavy load for an incoming frosh.</p>