CWRU Class of 2025 Decisions

I can see no reason why your daughter was deferred. Crazy!

My son was rejected (and was waitlisted at a school with a more competitive acceptance rate.

2 Likes

I’m still baffled with the deferred decision. Daughter likes Case and thinks Case is a low reach/high match. We also have submitted financial documents to FA office, so it was a big surprise.

Daughter still wants to try her luck via RD route so we will find out in March.

2 Likes

This is my first and only child so I won’t know what is normative and what isn’t but this year seems baffling to say the least…

Baffling and how frustrating :((

Congratulations!!

Decision: Accepted

Application Type (ED/EA/RD): EA

SAT: 1560- M 800 EWR 760
SAT II: 800 Math I/II
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.86
Weighted GPA: 5.46
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): None officially (Figured in the top 5%)
APs/Honors: 5 APs and almost all the rest are Honors courses
Senior Year Course Load: 5 APs

Subjective

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Girl scouts (from elementary school), classical dance, multiple honors societies, robotics club positions etc.
Summer Activities: Research projects with college profs
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8/9 Discussed travel experience across dozens of countries
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 2 math (9) and science (9)

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Computer Engineering
State (if domestic applicant): NJ
School Type: Large public high school
Hooks (URM, first-generation college, etc.): female in STEM

Scholarships/Finan. Aid Received: 25K University Scholarship

1 Like

Congratulations !!

Thank you and congrats!!!

Decision: Accepted

Application Type (ED/EA/RD): ED

Objective
SAT I (breakdown): Applied test optional
ACT (breakdown): n/a
SAT II: n/a
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): n/a
Weighted GPA: 4.14
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
AP (place score in parenthesis): n/a
IB (place score in parenthesis): no test but the scores:
Psychology SL (5)
IB bio (5)

Senior Year Course Load:
IB math App&Int SL 2
IB Chem SL 2
Dual enrollment at NOVA community college:
World history/geography DE
English 12 DE
Photo 1
Digital Art 1

Subjective
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Club soccer for about 12 years
Track and field 10th-(current)

• Hurdle and Pole Vault captain

Job/Work Experience:
Commonwealth Running management: grades 10,11,12
Lifeguard and Cashier: grades 9,10
Volunteer/Community service: n/a
Summer Activities: n/a

Essays (rating 1-10, details): I’d say my essay was pretty solid, but I’m not sure. Wrote about my passion for pole vault

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): Had my math, psych, history teacher, and coach write them. I think that my psych teacher, history teacher, and coach wrote good letters because I formed a pretty strong relationship with them

Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: nursing (maybe minor in psychology)
State (if domestic applicant): VA
Country (if international applicant): n/a
School Type: public
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):
Asian (adopted), female

Scholarships/Financial Aid Received:
Bolton scholarship: $10,000
Aid: $6,000
( feel like I’m at the low end of financial aid. Maybe bc of our financial situation idk )
Demonstrated Interest:
Talked to the track and field coach about potentially being on the team. Also attended many of the online webinars they held

1 Like

Decision:
Deferred
Application Type (ED/EA/RD): EA

Objective

SAT I (breakdown): 1530 (780 math, 750 English)

Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.8
Weighted GPA:4.05
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
AP (place score in parenthesis): Chem-5, APUSH-3
IB (place score in parenthesis):N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP lang, calc, AP gov, choir, AP Bio, AP Spanish
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):N/A

Subjective

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): 10+ years dance(now teaching), 5 years Martial arts, School medical club(officer), School cultural club(choreographer), Intern for a congressional run, Volunteering 100 hours, Tutor

Essays (rating 1-10, details): maybe 6-7/10
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 8/10. Both teachers know me well. Not sure about my counselor’s rec letter.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Bio
State (if domestic applicant): CA

School Type: Public
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): N/A

I am just reading with interest since I am helping a friend’s daughter. She got accepted EA with 4.0 unweighted and 34 Act. Got some $25,000 merit.

Just because you have the stats /grades doesn’t mean they automatically accept you. There are thousands of qualified students for limited spots at every school. Yes, they are trying to protect yield. Getting deferred means your still in the game. They are building a class. In that class they can only take so many band members, athletes, great Stat students. Only so many stem kids vs business minded kids and so on. The person I am helping also got deferred from another school and I had this talk prior to them that it’s not about you and don’t take it personally. It’s about them building their class. Trust me, Been there with 2 kids and we are all like “but it’s my kid… How did they not accept her /, him”.

Georgia tech has one of the best academic blogs about the why of it. It’s an entertaining educational read of the process.

But… Did you let the AO for case for your school know that this is a school you want to go to? She did on my instruction. My only advice is to do so.

She was deferred at another school and she is an all A student. Has all the Ecs etc. There is nothing left to show for the qualified applicant… Again, it’s about what the school is looking for.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice.

Before D applied, I read about Case’s Yield Protection practice and already expected it may happened to us. I’m also ok with Case’s decision not accepting or deferring her based on the “FIT” factors they set. I was not happy on how they did it in the deferred letter. They still want to sell the “ED2 option” as a good way to show “enthusiasm and commitment they bring to our community”.

Daughter is still want to reapply RD since she likes the school. I will tell her to reach out to Case’ admission counselor to show interest. This whole college admission process is really driving us parents insane :slight_smile:

Yep. The ED2 is another point of interest but you have to know if you can afford it also. Case is a great school but you have to know if you can afford it. Just remember one tidbit I gave to my kids… “You will get accepted, deferred and denied and wait listed from some really great schools” That’s exactly what happened :wink:

1 Like

We told our D the same and also let her know that we can only afford to X amount for COA. So, she knew that acceptance doesn’t guaranteed she will go there. :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Application Type (ED/EA/RD): Rejected

Objective

SAT I (breakdown): 720 ebrw, 740 m
ACT (breakdown):
SAT II:
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.97/5.00
Weighted GPA: 5.76/5.00
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): probably top 15%
AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Euro (5), AP Seminar (4), AP Physics (4), APUSH (5), AP Research (4)
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load: AP Stats, AP French, AP Biology, Honors Writing, AP Psychology, AP Calculus AB
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar

Subjective

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): FCCLA (communications manager), Future Health Professionals (Co-president), Ethnic fair dancer, school ambassador, blog article editor for health-related NFP, blog writer for student-led mental health NFP, lots of research experience, recent job as grade assistant, hospital volunteer
Job/Work Experience: recent job as grade assistant
Volunteer/Community service: Information desk volunteer at local hospital and lots of community service through FCCLA
Summer Activities: Took geometry over summer after 9th, did research internship summer after 10th, took AP gov summer after 11th
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9/10 maybe? one of my safety school AOs texted me and said she appreciated the topic :slight_smile:
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 8/10 for all (got three from science related teachers who I used to always go to for extra help including my AP research teacher who hopefully spoke about my year-long research project)

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: psychology
State (if domestic applicant): IL
Country (if international applicant): USA BUT i am considered int’l student
School Type: Competitive public school
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Scholarships/Finan. Aid Received:

@violetpurple1
Sorry about the “R”, but we all know that the college process is unpredictable. You have amazing STATS and I’m sure you will be accepted to one of your dream schools and be happy there.

Cheers

1 Like

Thank you!

Class of 2025 will have some testimonies to this !

1 Like

Wow ! You are a phenomenal candidate. Your place is in a more deserving institution.

For those that were deferred this year (or in previous years), how much did you write for the optional short answer/did you choose not to answer it? Also, if you were deferred in previous years, were you accepted or denied (and did you defer your admission to EDII or RD)?

1 Like