CWRU Class of 2025 Official Discussion Thread

I wonder if being “need aware” factors into their decision making.

Had 36 act SSP 4.0 waitlisted.
Admitted to MIT RD.

1 Like

My S had 36 ACT , 3.99 GPA and National merit finalist… he is in waiting list… Don’t understand their selection process…

1 Like

Just curious would you turn down MIT for CWRU?

@Lillwitz I wonder if being “need aware” factors into their decision making.

Case has need aware admissions.

It depends.

What is the net cost for both?
What do you what to major in?
What are your future plans?

So if it was the same price, you want engineering and want to go get a PhD? MIT
Case is cheaper, you want pre-med? CWRU

3 Likes

@bopper You may not know the answer but thought I would ask. My son was accepted he is majoring in physics/pre-med. At CWRU are you able to start research and shadowing your freshman year?

I have been at admitted student meetings as a volunteer and they definitely talked about freshman being able to do research.

The SOURCE program helps match students and professors for research.

For shadowing, I think that is more up to you to organize although the CWRU AMSA Student association(google it) seems to indicate that they may have resources for that. Also if you as a parent know any doctors socially or even your own doctors, you can ask if your child can shadow. We had success with that.

Volunteering is also important (see below once Covid is less of an issue)

What kind of Pre-Health Advising is there at Case?

Case has a dedicated Pre-med Advisor, Wesley Schaub.

The pre-health advisor also maintains a Pre-Health Professions Canvas page for current and past CWRU undergraduate students interested in the health science professions. The Canvas page provides additional resources for students and is used to communicate information about group advising sessions, application preparation and workshops, clinical and research opportunities, and guest speakers on campus. Students may request access to the Pre-Health Professions Canvas page by sending an email to Wesley Schaub.

Pre-Health Advising | Career Center | Case Western University 2

You will need to take the pre-med pre-req courses.
Info can be found here:

You may want to get involved in research.
Info is here:

You may want to volunteer at a hospital:
Case is literally surrounded by hospitals. For example:
Volunteer Opportunities at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center - UH Cleveland | University Hospitals 1

You may want to get more info about applying to med school:
You could attend activities such as:
https://case.edu/studentsuccess/node/346

You might want to join a medically related student organization:

Explore CampusGroups (Login 2) for the most up-to-date information about student pre-professional and health-related organizations at CWRU.

https://community.case.edu/amsa/home/

7 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such helpful information.

3 Likes

Anyone here who interviewed for PPSP dental? Did you guys get your decisions yet?

Debating between Case Western Reserve and Wake Forest. Plan on studying computer science. But looking at Wake’s CS Departments website, not really impressed and I don’t think its rated/ranked very highly whereas Case’s CS Program looks very good and rated good. I think overall Wake is better school but not for CS. Anyone have any experience or thoughts? Thanks.

anything stem, case>wake any day

2 Likes

Yes, I agree 100% Wake is a great liberal arts. CWRU is where STEM is. Just take a look at the website go to specific major and you can see all the research and accomplishments there. Down side for CWRU is location and lack of sports. North Caroline is nice southern weather.

Yes, that is my initial assessment also. Hard to pass up Wake but think CWRU is best for CS in long run. Was impressed with this program and Wash U. Didnt get into Wash U. :frowning:

My son also wanted WashU for physics/pre-med but got waitlisted. CWRU is in top 3 at this point. He isn’t sure how he feels about the weather and not having big sporting events. Have you visited campus? That is next on our list.

1 Like

If any of you guys get rejected/waitlisted dont be disappointed! I got rejected from Case Western EA but the later got into UNC (OOS), BU (Honors), BC, Northeastern (Honors), and waitlisted from Vandy and WashU. The college admissions process is just so random.

Any word on the separate scholarships?

Plan on visiting 4/17
Already registered for visit

Has anyone visited campus? If so, thoughts?

Someone on another thread that had visited was worried about safety as they arrived closer to campus but fine once there. So thinking surrounding area not so hot? But actual campus fine?

Visited about 2 years ago when my sister visited as well. You can easily end up in the wrong area if you walk too far but, around the school and the general area is really nice/safe. The campus is quite pretty and nicely placed so that nothing is really apart from the campus. The dorms are nice but, could be seen as on the smaller side(at least for the one we were given a tour of).

1 Like

Hi! I have visited the campus a few times and it’s nice. I actually live fairly close to the Cleveland area, so I have been a lot throughout my life. I went to the open house last year. You definitely get used to the weather in Ohio, though it’s not my favorite. The weather in Cleveland is a little worse than where I live because of the lake effect, but it is definitely manageable. Everyone at case was very nice when I went last year, and every time we are in the area the students seem very happy! If you’re interested in pre med, the hospitals are amazing! I had surgery at the pediatric hospital a few years ago and the staff was very friendly. It’s definitely a great place to get shadowing/ volunteer hours!