D has change of heart about nursing...now what?

<p>D is a first semester freshman at Pitt's nursing school. After 7 weeks, she's decided that nursing is not for her. Academics are not her problem at all, but after spending some time in the hospital setting withnworking nurses, she's had a change of heart. She really has always wanted to be a doctor, but was concerned about the time, expense, etc. She now is thinking of majoring in biology and eventually attending dental school. </p>

<p>I'm sure my daughter is not alone in changing her mind. Anyone have any advice, words of wisdom, etc.?</p>

<p>Most of my cousins were nurses as was an aunt. I was going to be a nurse. I decided in high school that it was my mother who wanted me to be a nurse, not me. It will work out. Luckily, Pitt has lots of options for your daughter. Best wishes.</p>

<p>

My daughter is currently a sophomore nursing student at Pitt. I don’t recall any time during her first 7 weeks of freshman year when she was working in a hospital setting with working nurses. It was (as best as I can recall) all academics for the first semester.</p>

<p>My daughter has visited Montefiore hospital’s transplant unit twice in the last week as part of her nursing freshman seminar class. I’m glad she did; I’m pleased that she found out now rather than later. With no nurses in the family, she had little to go on. Her greatest disappointment is that she worked so hard to get into the nursing school, honors college and even had guaranteed admission to their graduate nursing program. Ultimately, she wanted to be a DNP, but now realizes the long road in between is not for her.</p>

<p>I had many similar conversations with my d during her 4 years in Nursing School. She had many doubts about wanting to be a nurse but she also had some really good experiences - it was a real mix. There were several points when she wanted to switch to another major but the problem was that she didnt know what to switch to. Ultimately she decided to add a minor in an area that interested her and to get the BSN with the idea that she could change to something else in grad school. She is now working as a nurse and deciding where and what she wants to do in grad school. But she will always have that BSN and be employable - it’s a very practical degree.<br>
My response during all of her doubting moments was to wait it out - see if she felt the same at the end of the semester.<br>
Isnt the road to dentistry just as long or longer? And more expensive? How does she know that’s what she wants?</p>

<p>Yes, she is still in a great place. U. Pitt has plentiful opportunities for other health care-related fields other than nursing. She should talk to some advisors soon to find out the options. She also should still be able to graduate on time.</p>

<p>The physician’s assistant field is growing, and might appeal to her. That involves studies after obtaining a BA or BS.</p>