Davenport Leadership Scholarship Question

I was not invited to the next phase. Can anyone who filled out the survey and was asked to complete the next part of the application please share their stats?

I don’t want to come off as entitled or anything, but I’m just trying to figure out the competition of those who were invited (the email said they invited around 500 students to the next phase).

Out-of-State
35 ACT, 4.0 UW
800 M2, 760 Chem
National Merit Commended
President of school’s DECA business club, NHS Secretary, Community Service Club officer, cross country, other activities
A ton of community service
Science fair awards

Thanks!

Hi I was invited to stage two and your test scores are better than mine were but if i remember correctly the first survey never asked for SAT or ACT scores. Here are my stats (I’ll include everything because I can’t remember what exactly they asked for and what they did not)
In-State
32 ACT , 4.0 UW and 4.6 W
President/Captain: Robotics team, coding team, academic team, philosophy club, astronomy club, and physics/engineering class
Member of : all national honor societies and a couple extraneous clubs that aren’t really worth mentioning
I mentioned taking classes at NASA and having an internship there as well as being a certified and current EMT (emergency medical technician). I also mentioned I worked 2 part time jobs
Volunteer : John Randolph Hospital (600 hours / year), EMT (48 hours every weekend), SPCA (only like 5 hours a week) My whole life is basically volunteering which may have helped me
Important classes taken : AP BC calc, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, AP physics, AP Chem, AP Biology and then every AP humanities course you could take other than European History 2!
It may also be worth mentioning I go to a specialty school for the math and sciences
*Overall I don’t know why I was picked over you! You honestly have better test scores but again I dont think they asked for you to report that on the first stage of the scholarship! Honestly I think the only thing that set me apart was EMT and the NASA thing and the obscene amounts of volunteer work I’ve done! I’m sorry you didn’t get through but if it makes you feel better, from the roughly 400 people who were accepted to stage 2, only like 45 people get the scholarship so I’m not getting too excited just yet! Anyways sorry this was so long just trying to be as thorough as possible! Good luck!

I made it to the second round, but I think you should of been invited your stats are way better than mine.

Enrolled in Governor’s School
Weighted GPA: 3.86
1st Generation

SAT and ACT

SAT:
Math: 550
CR: 550
W: 590

ACT:
Math: 26
Read: 29
Science: 24
Eng: 21
Comp: 25

Senior Course Load:
Physics - A
AP Lit - B
DE Calc - A
Leadership 3 - A
AP Gov - A
Gov School Internship - A
DE Chem 111 - A
Sociology - A

I have taken a total of 9 college course throughout high school.

My course load through high school was very rigorous and I will graduate with a Governor’s seal, Early VA Scholars seal, and an Advanced Diploma

I made it to the second round of the VT davenport scholarship contest for the engineering school.

My EC and Community Service are:

Name of the Activity and Leadership Position Held

• Student Government Association: Chair of Hospitality Committee, 2010 2010-2015, 5yrs, Current
  • Future Business Leaders of America: (Head of Hoops for Hunger, 3yrs, Vice President 2012-15, 2011-2015, 4yrs, Current
  • Beta Club: 2013-2015, 2yrs, Current
  • National Society of High School Scholars: 2011-2015, 4yrs
  • Girl Scouts of America: 2003-2011, 8yrs
  • JV Basketball: 2010-2012, 2yrs
  • JV Softball: 2010-2011, 1 yr.
  • Varsity Basketball: 2012-2014, 2yrs,
  • Varsity Softball: 2011-2015, 4yrs, Current
  • Travel Softball: 12yrs, Current
  • Travel Basketball: (Captain) 2012-2014, 2yrs
  • Montpelier Archeology Department Expedition Member 2014, Summer
  • Senior Internship, the White Laboratory at UVA, where we study biomedical engineering and virology, we make synthetic Ebola -internship, neuroPathology Department UVA hospital
  • Governor’s School 2011-2015, Current

AWARDS/HONORS

• Received 67 MVP Metals in my entire career, hold the record for most homeruns in a season of the Raging Wildcats as well as Most Career Strikeouts on the Raging Wildcats.
  • PVCC Pre-Calculus 163/164 Award
  • Daughters of the American Revolution Award
  • National Society of High School Scholars Inductee Honors
  • Beta Club Inductee Honors
  • Blue Ridge Virtual Governor’s School Honors

COMMUNITY SERVICE

• Red Cross
  • Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville
  • Hoops for Hunger Charity Basketball Game
  • FBLA Breast Cancer Awareness Walk
  • Fluville Market
  • Habitat for Humanity Fashion Show
  • FCHS Homecoming Parade
  • Angle Tree Program
  • Adopt a Family Program
  • Gold Hill Village Retirement Home

The only thing that I could think of that makes me stand out is the fact that my governors school makes us publish a lot of research, including research that we did with techs bio engineering project with the plant arabidopsis.

It’s fine! Numbers are just that, numbers. You guys definitely did a lot outside the classroom to deserve it. Good luck!