DD plans to apply early decision, but...

<p>as of now, she would probably be borderline. Has a 91 GPA unweighted- I think that is a 3.5. Has taken basically honors or AP througought (NHS). Moderately tough senior year. Decent EC, I think, but I'm the Mom! She is an URM- hispanic. She LOVES Geneseo- funny thing was I had to talk her into seeing it! Now she tells people it's her first choice! I could tell it was a great fit when we were walking on our tour. I just hope she isn't being unrealistic. She is taking a Princeton Review prep course because her SAT scores were less than stellar. She says she can't believe how much the course is helping her so far, so that's good news.</p>

<p>Any areas she should be really concerned with? There is not a lot you can do at this point, I would think. </p>

<p>She is interested in Bio/premed-but I read that if you are psych or bio, you are going to be competing a lot. Is that true? WOuld it be worth her to maybe major in something else?</p>

<p>I’ll be a bio major at Geneseo in the fall. I have some family that goes to Geneseo currenly in their junior year, and 6 of my friends were accepted this year with 5 attending.</p>

<p>As far as ED, one of my friends applied and was accepted. He had an 89 weighted avg., 1300 SAT and was very involved with his church outside of school. He thinks his ECs helped him out tremendously because not only is his GPA low, but it is really difficult to be accepted ED.</p>

<p>If your daughter designates that she is an URM on her application, then she will automatically be placed in the Access Opportunity Program. My friend was admitted into this program with an 85 average, 1130 SAT and good ECs. I suspect your daughter will be too. The drawback of the AOP is that anyone choosing to attend Geneseo that is admitted under this program is required to spend a month of their summer at Geneseo doing various things. Such things include taking a couple summer classes, taking seminars about how to prepare for college, etc. My friend did not want to take time out of his summer to do this. He said he didn’t like Geneseo that much to be separated from his friends his senior year summer.</p>

<p>As for the bio/pre-med track, well, bio is the most popular major at Geneseo. All classes at Geneseo are difficult because it is considered the public honors college. In this case, Bio is incredibly difficult. The college wants to weed out kids who truly don’t want to work hard to be successful in their program. And it works too. This isn’t official, but its a rumor that 40% of bio majors change their major by mid-sophomore year.</p>

<p>As for competitiveness, its not as competitive as an ivy legue (kids wishing other kids to fail). However, at Geneseo, everyone is considered a bright student. Because of this, classes must be on a scale so everyone doesn’t walk out the door with an A. Professors accomplish this by creating a scale. Getting one problem wrong out of 15 can bring a student’s quiz grade down to a B or B-. Pretty harsh for one wrong answer.</p>

<p>Anways, good luck. If you have any other questions, let me know.</p>

<p>sean summed it all up nicely.</p>

<p>Speaking of the bio major, I was also really worried about it’s rigor…still am. However I emailed one of the professors who is also a premed adviser there and he described it to be more…challenging than competitive. Many of the staff and students I saw or spoke with seemed to be quite supportive and though the classes are harder I think if you put the time into it, it might just work. Atleast I hope it does…we’ll see how freshman year goes. :P</p>

<p>Also Geneseo admissions loves to see students challenging themselves in HS, so your daughters APs and Honors will be a big plus. Her GPA is also higher than mine was when I applied RD.</p>