Deciding between RLC and Galileo

<p>DS is accepted to RLC and Galileo. Would like to help him decide. What he knows so far:</p>

<p>RLC: Nicer rooms, carpet, A/C, etc. -- leadership minor courses -- diversity of staying with other majors. </p>

<p>Galileo: Standard rooms -- all are Engrg majors -- more convenient for hw, etc. -- project area, 3D printer, etc. -- Invents community.</p>

<p>He has been in high-school student government and is leaning towards RLC, but unsure of how much he would miss on the benefits of Galileo.</p>

<p>Would appreciate any advice.</p>

<p>My son lived in Galileo this year. He found the community to be such an asset. He said as a freshman engineering student, he couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. He made great friends and had built-in study groups. They help each other with homework and lend each other support during stressful times. The community also has social events, perform community service and have opportunities for professional development activities right in Lee Hall. Companies such as Ford and Exxon Mobile came to meet with the members of the community throughout the year. The students also are required to have a resume prepared by the third week of school to attend the big Engineering Expo (job fair) in the fall. Through this opportunity, my son was invited to attend a GE Leadership conference. He enjoyed the community so much this year that he has chosen to stay another year to be a mentor for the freshman coming into the community.</p>

<p>My son lived in Galileo two years ago. Engineering is a very difficult major and having the support of other engineering students nearby definitely is a plus. One of the keys to success in Engineering is to form or join a strong study group. My son lived in Lee Hall before they added the Lab, 3D printer, etc. so I expect that it is even nicer. Even though Lee Hall is a freshman dorm, the rooms were a good size and all the space was useable. The second year my son lived in West Ambler Johnston and that dorm room was smaller and the larger furniture, the A/C unit, and the location of the door really restricted the placement of the furniture. Also, I would not worry about the lack of air conditioning in Lee Hall. There really are only a few days during August, early September, and May that are really hot.</p>

<p>Thank you Hokiefirst and GradandMom for the timely thoughts on Galileo.</p>