Deciding Major

<p>When I applied in the middle of September, I was unsure of what I planned to major in so I went with undecided. When will we get a chance to declare a major? Also, because I put undecided I was put into the College of Letters and Sciences. Should I fill out the scholarship applications for this college even if I do not plan on getting a degree from letters and sciences?</p>

<p>Do not worry at all about your major yet. At SOAR you will choose classes to meet breadth requirements and can choose some in potential majors to test your interest. Most entering freshmen are either undecided or will change their declared major. Most students are in L&S. No harm in checking on any scholarships you are eligible for. Once you are at UW you will learn a lot more about yourself and be better able to choose your major.</p>

<p>The L&S Scholarship application is due February 4th and requires a recommendation submitted online.</p>

<p>btw- you need to declare your major to graduate. Technically you are supposed to have declared a major sooner than your final semester. You will eventually want an advisor in your major, but all of that is info you will learn once you are on campus. Your SOAR advisor will be determined by your declared major- that is the only reason it may matter now. You can easily add a major to your info before SOAR if you for example want an engineering advisor.</p>