Undecided

<p>I was recently accepted at UW with "undecided" as my possible major. I understand that when you are accepted at UW you are accepted to the whole school, only undecided has certain advisors. </p>

<p>I was wondering if as an undecided, it is harder to get certain classes? Also reading online you need to "apply" to a major. Are there difficulties in applying to a major that you really want?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Most majors are open and do not require any further application. You just declare it and can do so at any time. Majors in Engineering, Education, Business and a few in L&S are restricted enrollment and you have to file an application after Year 1 or 2. Some are very competitive–business, bio-eng, journalism, teaching, nursing come to mind.</p>

<p>You will be given a general L&S advisor to start your first year.</p>

<p>Would you say an econ major would be accessible?</p>

<p>Totally. They just hired about 10 new people to keep it open. Very popular.</p>

<p>Putting a major on your application helps in determining your summer (SOAR) advisor. Most students will get a cross college advisor next summer, those in the Honors Program will get an Honors advisor. Your intended major will not change classes you can sign up for as a freshman. Some majors/schools/colleges require an application after you have attended UW for some semesters- this is due to limited facilities and the need to control numbers so everyone in the major can get their needed classes. Everyone needs to meet requirements to be formally admitted to their major- for most (eg L&S) it is a minimum gpa in courses related to that major. That makes sense- someone who hasn’t learned the basics would struggle with advanced courses in the major or should rethink why they want it. In theory some advanced level courses are only open to those in a major but it is possible to delay formally declaring your major until you want to graduate and take the courses (having an advisor in the major who signs off on getting into the courses is how that can happen). </p>

<p>In short- don’t worry. SOAR will answer a lot of your questions- that’s why they have it, to orient students as well as to get registered. Once you are a UW student on campus you will learn a lot more about how things work. You can read the online catalog for official major requirements et al. Your summer advisor will get you started and you can switch advisors at any time later to get one in your proposed major. The professors/advisors know the system and will help you make it work for you. UW may be a huge school but it is composed of people who care about the students. You have to take the initiative, however- it is your education, you are in charge of it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I was wondering before I decide to enroll. I am down to Wisconsin and Michigan, if I get in. One factor would be if I could get into the major I want at Wisconsin from being undecided. I can see that it will not be a problem though.</p>

<p>UW Econ>>UM Econ</p>

<p>In deciding between Michigan and Wisconsin look at factors that differentiate the schools for you. Choose the school that seems to best fit you, not the one others say you should choose. Academics will work at both schools. Look at other details- housing and meal plans, locations of dorms, campus beauty, available clubs and activites that may interest you and you can participate in…</p>

<p>Just to add to Wis75’s point: If money is an issue, and you are an out of state for both schools, UW is cheaper to go.</p>