Decision: Purdue Beering vs. Princeton vs. USC Trustee

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>Im an east coast kid who had the good luck of getting into Princeton SCEA. I also got pretty good financial aid (20k a year). I thought I'd be definitely going there, until other news came out. After applying to Purdue, I received an invitation to apply for the Beering Scholarship. I did, and now I've been selected to receive it. It's an extremely selective (less than 10 people get it), little known scholarship that is a full ride not only for an undergraduate degree, but also a Masters degree AND either medical or law school at Purdue/IU. Finally, I will likely receive the Trustees scholarship at USC, which pays full undergrad tuition. </p>

<p>I want to major in Computer Science (BSE), while exploring other interests in college. I find it's a really tough decision. I feel like Princeton would give me the benefit of exposure to so many great and diverse students. And of course, it's Princeton! However, the amazing scholarship at Purdue would get me a lot of attention there. Also, although right now Im not particularly interested in studying medicine, having the opportunity to go to med school for FREE after my undergrad degree if I change my mind seems impossible to pass up. Finally, I loved USC from my visit, and I'd also get many opportunities there as a Trustee Scholar (guaranteed paid research as a freshman, funding for travel abroad, etc.)</p>

<p>Basically, what I'm looking for in a college is a place to explore my academic interests (computer science, math, entrepreneurship/finance, neuroscience, etc.) and to have lots of fun!</p>

<p>Which college should I attend? Is Princeton worth passing up for Purdue or USC? Please share any comments, opinions...anything that could help me make this decision. Unfortunately, I have to let Purdue know whether I'm taking the scholarship by April 5th... I've got a month to make this tough decision...</p>

<p>First of all…Congratulations! Items you might want to consider are: what type of students do you want to be surrounded by (each school definitely has a different vibe), what is the four year graduation rate for each school (you are obviously well-motivated and will graduate in four years, but will most of your classmates/friends?), finally at the end of undergrad. which school will give you the most options for graduate school (a student of your caliber, upon completing your undergrad., may once again be offered extremely enticing graduate options/scholarships/fellowships)?</p>

<p>What demom said. Also I would try to visit all three to get a feel for them.</p>

<p>I would attend Princeton in a heartbeat. Don’t fall for gimmicks.</p>

<p>XTremePower, are you a student at Purdue? What’s your reasoning for selecting Princeton so assuredly?</p>

<p>Congratulations! You have some awesome options in front of you. The Beering scholarship is VERY prestigious and opens a lot of doors. With your interests, Purdue could be a great choice for you. Their CS and engineering programs are top notch. Our former governor just became Purdue’s newest president. He is one of the most financially saavy politicians out there and it is going to be very interesting to see the direction that he takes the school. But I know that it is going to open up even more doors for entrepreneurship. You would have a lot of opportunities available to you as a Beering scholar.</p>

<p>This might seem kind of bold and perhaps not your style, but you might want to just flat out try calling the president of the university, Mitch Daniels, and telling whoever answers that you’ve been selected for the Beering scholarship and you are trying to decide if Purdue is the best match for you with the other offers you have so you’d like to talk to President Daniels to get his input. This could give you an idea just how special you would be at Purdue. If you do try this, be sure to be prepared with questions! If you were to email I am certain you would get a personal response. With a phone call, I think the chances are very high for getting a call back.</p>

<p>My point is that at Purdue you would have doors opened to you that might not happen at Princeton or USC. The real differentiator is what you do with the opportunities you have.</p>

<p>Hi alphabeta11,</p>

<p>First of all, congratulations on all of your great offers!</p>

<p>I also received the 2013 Beering Scholarship and am thinking about my college options. :slight_smile: I am deciding between Purdue, the University of Virginia (in-state for me), and Johns Hopkins for biomedical engineering. Actually I am just about ready to officially accept the Beering so I can share with you what my thought process was.</p>

<p>Purdue, UVA, and JHU are all great schools - Purdue has top 10 engineering in the nation, UVA is known as a “public Ivy” and is a well-rounded school (great business school if I don’t stick with engineering or just want to explore), and JHU has the #1 biomedical engineering program.</p>

<p>I’m deciding on Purdue because: 1) Beering is an incredibly generous offer and I don’t think I could ever get such an amazing opportunity again, 2) it would be a huge relief to not have to graduate with any student debt, 3) I still have the option to go to a better graduate school with money saved up since I won’t spend it in undergrad (your graduate and professional school is more important in my opinion), 4) I have not ruled out medical school so the IU option is nice, 5) Purdue engineering is still very reputable, 6) I believe it’s better to shine at whatever school I go to rather than be average at perhaps a better school - more opportunities open up for the top students of any school, 7) since I’m considering medical school and GPA is very important for med school admission, I would be able to keep a higher GPA at Purdue than at a harder school (Princeton is known for grade deflation, by the way), and 8) while it was very tempting for me to want to go to a school with a “better name,” it helps to remember that I will not be just a Purdue student, but rather a Purdue BEERING SCHOLAR. A lot of honor comes with that title.</p>

<p>Those were some of the factors I considered when making my decision. Of course, your college choice is a very personal decision. Wherever you go, it has to feel right. My older brother actually graduated from Purdue so I was already familiar with Purdue. Best of luck to you wherever you go though! If you choose Purdue, we can talk more haha. :)</p>

<p>Hello Op:
It was a great discussion, and thought process among many.
May I know what happened finally, did you go to Purdue? It will help understand your view points, and your experiences so far in the school of your choice now.
Thanks!</p>