Declaring a major

I appreciate your response. I don’t think I’m “just looking for the name”. A mentor once told me that you can learn film from the field, jobs, experience. You go to college so that you have something to film. I’ve always thought you go to college to be exposed to a wide variety of subjects and opportunities and learn how to think critically. Yes I love film. But it’s not trade school- I want to go to a college that I will enjoy spending 4 years on that will provide resources and opportunities.

3 Likes

Definitely. You just don’t want to be backed into a whole major-concentration that you’re not genuinely invested in.

And at any rate, many “communications” majors have little to do with film. You have to figure out what combination of subject matter will work for you.

If you actually like the whole English/Writing/Literature angle as a potential foundation, you might consider applying to CCS at UCSB also. That would give you a lot of latitude to customize what kind of portfolio you want to build, and the philosophy of the program might fit with what you’re looking for. There’s an additional application for CCS. (You can also minor or double-major outside of CCS.) Writing & Literature | UCSB College of Creative Studies

Perhaps you may want to look at the curricula for all of the “communication” majors at various colleges to see which ones suit your interests better.

1 Like

Excellent point of view, in my opinion!

1 Like

Sounds like your approach, criteria and goals are sensible. Some kids choose colleges based on getting single rooms, food or the schools mascot while you are being mature in focusing on long term skills and outcomes. Stay true to your beliefs.

@collegequestions57 as noted upstream someplace…your exact major doesn’t need to align with your future career. One of the most successful photographers I know was an undergrad major in dance. Another who works in film got a degree in international affairs (or something like that). Both sought out work doing their passions…but they both had excellent college degrees with lots of experiences and options.

Good luck to you! I think you have a good head on your shoulders.

Op- I know OWU is not a school of consideration, but this just happened to pop in not my email today and It’s thought the message was timely, given the discussion here:
“As Ohio Wesleyan University’s new president, I recently met with prospective students and parents, debunking college myths.

College isn’t just about the first job; it’s about lifelong skills. At Ohio Wesleyan, we give students the experience and skills for their first job, and we help them develop the vital, lifelong skills that will help them grow into new careers as the workplace changes, start their own businesses, and be the boss. According to Forbes, OWU alumni are among the most prolific entrepreneurs in the nation.

Society pressures young students to pick a major early, but at OWU, we encourage exploration. We value skills like how to ask good questions, speak and write persuasively, work with diverse groups of people, and solve wicked problems. Those are the power skills we teach, in every major. And our unique OWU Connection program guarantees every student enriches those skills with real-world experience.

We offer generous financial aid, but what truly sets OWU apart is helping students find their path. If your students need a little help figuring out what they want to do with their lives, and if they want to outpunch their weight class, Ohio Wesleyan University is the single best place for them to go to college in the United States of America.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.