Deferred EA

My DD has been deferred from Chapman Dodge, creative producing. What’s next ? Is there anyone who has been accepted in any film school or other programs after being deferred? She needs to write a letter and has some ideas on what to write but she is a little bit discouraged.

1 Like

Our amazing neighbor is studying film at Loyola Marymount and absolutely loves it. He was deferred/rejected from Chapman, USC and NYU. LMU gave him merit aid, too.

2 Likes

I assume she has reaches (Chapman), targets and safeties. There are many places to get a film degree and some that offer creative producing (DePaul, etc.). Even if they don’t offer the major, many will have a track or classes.

After she gets past the shock and writes her letter, sends in the latest grades, move on and find that school she’s going to love. They are out there, including safeties such as U of AZ.

Hopefully she’s already applied to these other schools.

1 Like

Thank you for this suggestion. LMU was on her list then off, then on and then off, because of the religious classes. So she didn’t apply. We will see if she wants to give it a chance.

Yes, she applied to some others EA and RD and was accepted to DePaul with a presidential scholarship, so it’s a good option, but we didn’t visit it in person yet. She was accepted to Emerson, which is close to home, but zero scholarship. Chapman was her prefered option and she really liked the campus and the program. She is waiting for decisions from BU, Ithaca. UCLA and USC, are reaches too, so no big hopes here.

1 Like

I mentioned this in another post, but LMU is not a “religious” school, per se. The school has values that are rooted in religion but no one my daughter is friends with or has even met would be described as super “religious”. It’s an amazing school—and the film school especially is highly respected, consistently in the top 10.

1 Like

Dodge is truly the best undergrad film school (remember that most schools are “ranked” by graduate program but for Dodge it’s based on undergrad opportunities). Classes are so unbelievably small (12-16 students in most and taught by working professionals). It’s worth it to keep pursuing especially for creative producing because there’s really no other program like it.

2 Likes

Thank you grace27. DD sent her letter tonight to be considered with the RD pool. But not only she needs to be accepted, she also needs to receive a scholarship. We saw that DePaul has also a creative producing concentration. Anyway, she was accepted there in their film production program with a great scholarship, so DePaul could be a good alternative to Chapman. Same with Ithaca, generous scholarship so 2 good options. We will wait until April 1st before making a decision I think. Wait and see.

2 Likes

Hi, not sure you will see this or not - was just wondering what her activities and resume were that she put on the Chapman creative producing application? My son is interested but we can’t find anyone who will give us an idea of what people had done on their application. Any feedback appreciated! Thank you

Hi, my son is interested in the Chapman creative producing program. Do you happen to have any insight into what kinds of activities and resume the kids who get accepted have done?

I answered on another thread.

So no, I have no info. I’d like to know though. Working in a museum? with a curator? being the producer of a short film? In the meantime, how can you know at 16/17 you want to be a creative producer? When I see what my D did, she’s more on the side of creative than producing…

1 Like

I just replied to your other post. And I agree about how were they supposed to know. Thanks so much. Don’t know where you live, but we are in LA and with the amount of time our schools were closed and how few activities they could do - they had no way to do so many things. My son’s school did awful job of online teaching and so he pretty much had to spend loads of extra time just teaching himself! Sounds like you have a very talented daughter!

1 Like

Yes, I understand. We are close to Boston and our school, private, did a wonderful job during the pandemic. In 3 years, we only closed 3 months. The management has been top notch and I don’t think the students lost too much during that period. They continued their education like if nothing bad happened. So yes, we were very lucky and it’s sad that, depending on the state and the school, students didn’t receive the eduction they deserved. But I’m sure the universities take this into account or at least I hope. Good luck to your son. Let’s wait and see.

1 Like