Denied from Virginia Tech

I received my decision from VT yesterday and unfortunately, I was rejected. It is very sad and painful to think about but it was very much expected considering the fact that there were many students that applied and they had bigger and better stats than me. It’s a bit crazy but I’ve already started looking at transfer options and it says that I have to take English 111 & 112 which is English 1105 & 1106 at VT (I’m pretty sure) but I am already taking that college class as Dual Enrollment credit along with World Hist. and Geography. Would I have to take a higher-level English History class and/or History class? I also was wondering if I was given the opportunity to transfer next if I would be able to double major or would that have required me to be there my first year which is definitely not happening.

Grbeoan. Welcome to the VT board and sorry about the bad news.

I believe once you transfer in you are considered the same as any student who was there from day one.

Your DE credits will be sufficient. You should contact the Admissions Office…they will help you with the transfer process and make sure you know the classes you need to be a competitive transfer student.

@grbeoan

1.) Google “virginia tech checksheets” so you can see what your courses will likely be based on your major.

2.) Go here to determine if the DE courses you are taking and/or courses you plan to take in community college have transfer equivalencies at VT (if you are in-state):

https://www.tranguide.registrar.vt.edu/2019/vccs.html

3.) Then, go here to see what Pathways categories (these are the general ed courses all VT students are required to take) your DE and CC courses map out to:

https://www.pathways.prov.vt.edu/

4.) Combine 1,2 and 3 - Do your DE courses and your upcoming CC courses satisfy these categories “straight up” (e.g. ENG 111 = ENG 1105) or do they just count as general electives? Your key is to try and take as much CC coursework that maps directly to your Gen Ed or major-specific requirements.

The only area where it might make sense to take a course that doesn’t give you transfer credit is in calculus. Even if you took it this year in HS, you will be a year removed from exposure if/when you are accepted as a transferring sophomore.

It would help if we knew what major you wanted to go into. The Engineering department puts up quite a fight to make sure people don’t transfer in so easily.

You can transfer into Engineering from community college, that’s not an issue. What they don’t want is current VT students changing their major to engineering. It used to be doable, but they’ve tried to shut that down for the most part in the last few years.