Desperately need textbook help!

<p>I’ve called the Supe store but I’m still confused…</p>

<p>For Math125, Calculus 1 this is what it says is required:</p>

<p>Essential Cal W/ Webassign, Stewart (Hardback Bundle)
ISBN 1133425941
Edition 2
Binding Hardback</p>

<p>The problem is there are two Essential Cal books…</p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals (9781133112280): James Stewart: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-Transcendentals-James-Stewart/dp/1133112285/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342620292&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Essential+Cal+W%2F+Webassign]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-Transcendentals-James-Stewart/dp/1133112285/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342620292&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Essential+Cal+W%2F+Webassign) and</p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> Essential Calculus (9781133112297): James Stewart: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-James-Stewart/dp/1133112293/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342623175&sr=8-3&keywords=essential+calculus]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-James-Stewart/dp/1133112293/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342623175&sr=8-3&keywords=essential+calculus)</p>

<p>Does anyone know which one it is? Also, the Supe store mentioned it was a custom edition which is contradictory to what it says online under my required books. </p>

<p>For EC110 this is what it says is required (choose one):</p>

<p>Principles Of Microeconomics Aplia Access Code (New Only) Mankiw
ISBN 1111959404
Publisher Sw
Binding Hardback</p>

<p>OR</p>

<p>Bundle:Custom Principles Of Microeconomics, Revised W/Aplia, Mankiw (New Binder Ready Bundle)
ISBN 128503953X
Copyright 06 Binding Looseleaf</p>

<p>My understanding is that Aplia is online and includes the textbook so I’m wondering why it says Binding Hardback or Binding Looseleaf. Also, when I search the ISBN for the first choice it comes up with an Aplia 6 month Access Code with no mention of a hardback book.</p>

<p>Finally, here are the requirements for SP101 (choose one):</p>

<p>Bundle Sp+ Tu Diras 4E, Martinez-Lage (Bundle)
ISBN 1428209840
Binding None</p>

<p>OR</p>

<p>Tu Diras W/ 3 Cd’s, Martinez-Lage (Best Value)
ISBN 1413028101 Copyright 07
Publisher Heinle
Edition 4
Binding Hardback</p>

<p>OR</p>

<p>Tu Diras Quia W/ I-Learn (E-Book)(3 Semester), Martinez
ISBN 1413031706
Binding None</p>

<p>Other than Quia being required (I think…), I have no clue which option to choose.</p>

<p>Any help is appreciated!</p>

<p>If you go to this page and scroll down, it looks like the blue book with Web Assign is the one with the req’d ISBN. Maybe that’s what the SUPE store meant by a custom pkg.</p>

<p>[Cengage</a> - Mathematics Instructor Product Details Page - Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals (1133112285)](<a href=“http://www.cengage.com/aushed/instructor.do?disciplinenumber=1079&product_isbn=9781133112280&courseid=MA03&codeid=2B76&subTab=&mainTab=BetterTogether&mailFlag=true&topicName=]Cengage”>http://www.cengage.com/aushed/instructor.do?disciplinenumber=1079&product_isbn=9781133112280&courseid=MA03&codeid=2B76&subTab=&mainTab=BetterTogether&mailFlag=true&topicName=)</p>

<p>Spanish 103 had same choices listed.
The online quia is required. It includes the e book. $120
Hard cover textbook is optionall (same as ebook) used @$60 inside the book is the CDs
The bundle includes both quia, ebook, hard cover book plus a Spanish dictionary for $270
The bundle is an unnecessary expense just to add a small dictionary.</p>

<p>Buy the quia, your choice if you would also like the hardcover book. Then use an online Spanish dictionary or buy a cheap one elsewhere.</p>

<p>It isn’t unusual for schools to have custom editions of books printed. Some of my D’s books last year were custom editions for UA. Many times (but not always) it is because they simply take out a chapter or a few chapters and not necessarily that the material is different from the traditional or standard print edition. You aren’t likely to find the custom edition books outside of Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>One option you may want to consider that will often save you money is to look at the Off Campus Bookstore off of Hackberry (beside Bottom Feeders) for used copies of the textbooks. They often have the best selection and their prices are reasonable.</p>

<p>Each person’s preferences and experiences may be different, but my daughter found that although she was initially disappointed when we couldn’t find a hardback of her OChem book, she actually loved having the binder ready books. She simply bought two binders and only carried the chapters she needed to and from class and left the others in a binder in her room to change out as needed. It made for a much lighter load in her backpack. I’m not sure if this info helps you much, but maybe it will give you something to consider.</p>

<p>It’s odd that it says edition 2 online and yet the supe store said it was a custom edition. Also, as m2ck pointed out the ISBN actually matches the early transcendentals 2nd edition. I think I will wait until the first day of classes to buy the Calc book. </p>

<p>Wow @ the markup for the Spanish dictionary, thanks for explaining that.</p>

<p>@bamagirls, did your D buy the binder ready book online or via the supe store? The idea sounds really convenient but I know the supe store is overpriced.</p>

<p>She’s bought from both the Supe and from online vendors. Yes, the Supe is often overpriced.</p>

<p>I’m having a hard time finding books anywhere except SUPE. Ugghhh.
Calc II (Math 126)
Eco 110 (w/ Zirlott)</p>

<p>asaunmom, I’m not 100% sure I have the right book, but I think I do. Here’s what I did. The ISBN for the MATH 126 book “bundle” is 978-1-111-01901-3. I could not find it anywhere online. I looked back at Spring 2012, and a number of books were listed and it said “Choose one.” One of the items listed was the bundle with the same ISBN number as is shown for Fall 2012. However, they also listed ISBN numbers for what appear to be the component pieces of the bundle. I took the ISBN number for the book itself (0-495-01428-1) and bought just the book. I’m hopeful it’s the correct book and then I’ll just buy whatever Webassign code D needs directly from Webassign. D doesn’t want the e-book and I can’t imagine it’s a requirement. In any event, the textbook itself was inexpensive enough that if it’s the wrong book I’ll write it off to lesson learned with no regrets.</p>

<p>Interestingly, for Math125, purchasing the textbook through amazon and the web assign through web assign’s website costs about $225 vs the supe store bundle which costs $215.</p>

<p>asaunmom, I’m in Econ110 with Zirlott too, tell me if you figure it out!</p>

<p>Interesting - it looks like they’re switching to a newer edition of the Calc book for those who are starting the Calc series. The bundle for MATH 125 is different from the one for MATH 126.</p>

<p>Any thoughts on the required materials for Cal 3 (MATH 227)? any help would be appreciated :)</p>

<p>978-1-111-01901-3 STEWART / ESSENTIAL CALCULUS BUNDLE w/ EBOOK WEB ASSIGN Required new $192.70 used $125.30</p>

<p>CrimsonMom, that’s the same bundle as was listed for Calc 2. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I got what I think (hope!) are the ISBN’s for the constituent parts of the bundle by looking at the book list for the Spring 2012 class. I paid $17, including shipping, for the book alone.</p>

<p>JTownatp, I think we might have calculus together.</p>

<p>@crimsonmom, here is the link to where you can buy the webassign direct:</p>

<p>[WebAssign</a> - Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals 2nd edition](<a href=“http://webassign.net/features/textbooks/sesscalcet2/details.html?l=subject]WebAssign”>http://webassign.net/features/textbooks/sesscalcet2/details.html?l=subject)</p>

<p>If your S (or D?) is planning on taking Calculus 3 in the Spring you probably want to purchase the multi-term student access for $110 ($55/semester), rather than the semester ($75) student access.</p>

<p>@soccergirl, what section are you in?</p>

<p>I’m in section 003.</p>

<p>Where do you find the list of what books you need?</p>

<p>bamagirl- g
go to mybama
homepage choose “detail schedule” in center column
choose fall 2013
scrool to the bottom of the page, and click on the “click here for available books” button.</p>

<p>** make sure that you read the book list carefully. Some books are required in either hardcopy OR onliine. Some books/items are optional. </p>

<p>My advice would be to obtain any required items, and look into any option or recommended ones. My son took classes at the CC last year, the first semester we made the mistake of buying all books on the list (even if optional or recommended) and we wasted a lot of money on books he never opened. But there were a few things that were really helpful on the optional lists also- like a laminated chart/cheat sheet, answer books, and particularly math supplmental materials. So I recommend that you evaluate the “optional” items carefully before purchasing. </p>

<p>My DS is in a position where one of his classes only has optional books listed, they are 2 different books, and he is not sure if he should get one, or if the prof will be listing a required book later. He is going to email the prof and ask his opinion. You too should email the prof if you are unsure of a book, have questions about books/supplement materials/ or need clarification. However, you may be able to get some questions abuot books answered by the supe store. So you might consider asking them first!</p>

<p>good luck!</p>

<p>soccergirl-I’m in section 003 of MATH 125 as well! I’m probably just going to wait until a week or so into school to buy my book.</p>

<p>No book is listed for MATH - 247, section 002 (Andrew M Lewis). An email to the professor returned undeliverable and a search of faculty returned no match for Andrew Lewis. Any ideas on how to find out what book will be used for this class?</p>

<p>zgrace, great! I’m so glad the class is at 10am and not earlier! I’ll probably need a study partner to.</p>