Detroit Closing Half of Public Schools

<p>The State of Michigan has ordered that Detroit close half of its schools. Students already being given sub par education will also have to share to space and resources with 60 students to cut 300 mil in spending over the next 4 years. </p>

<p>Michigan</a> orders DPS to make huge cuts | detnews.com | The Detroit News</p>

<p>I think that this is really a shame, especially since I think we all know who this is going to affect the most.....</p>

<p>I agree. Really sad to see education be the first to get cuts during tough times.</p>

<p>Wow, 60 students per class? That’s huge.</p>

<p>Put the dumb kids into special vocation schools and make the classes smaller.</p>

<p>^Really?I hope you’re joking.</p>

<p>^Really?I hope you’re joking. </p>

<p>No? Why would I be joking? Just filter away the misbehaving dumb kids into special vocational classes. They’re not becoming doctors or engineers or very likely even productive citizens.</p>

<p>You probably would have difficulty doing this. A class full of 60 teenagers and 1 teacher in a struggling academic environment is sure to be very chaotic. Detroit is a place that has been struggling very badly. It may be difficult discerning misbehaving kids from low achieving kids, because after being thrown in a small class room and forced to share an already inadequate amount of resources a lot of kids will just lose hope. </p>

<p>Think of colleges especially large public colleges. The have a lot of students in one room, the teachers identifies them with a number and these kids slip through the cracks and a little bit more than the majority drops out. Detroit’s drop out rate is about 50 % but these college students had reenforcement to finish because they paid for their education and actually had a decent quality of instruction and resources. What would happen to some student’s reinforcement to finish after they are put into public-college size classrooms without the adequate instruction and resources to learn? We will see a ridiculous drop-out rate if this happens. Again, I really really hope you are joking. Its hard to tell what other people are thinking beyond the text sometimes. Maybe I shouldn’t be trying to…</p>

<p>You might as well stay home and stare at a wall for six hours than go to Detroit Public Schools.</p>

<p>all of those school have a very very low graduation/passing rate. it’s so sad.</p>

<p>Exactly, Romulus.
They might as well close all of their high schools, as theyre pretty much encouraging future failure with those class sizes and limited/inferior resources. The more I think about this story, the angrier I become. I’m tired of the urban poor continually being screwed over and then getting blamed for it.</p>

<p>Pumping money to the schools hasn’t done **** either. Just shut down all the public schools in detroit, its not like anyone is learning **** there anyways.</p>

<p>And that would do what exactly? I really dont know how to respond to your reply, considering the huge generalization you make.</p>

<p>The schools need reform. They don’t need to be closed. Maybe one or two, but not half (I’m not sure how many there are there.)</p>

<p>“misbehaving dumb kids?” it’s not their fault. They are a product of their environment. If their parents don’t step up and encourage learning, the kids won’t want to learn. By the time kids get to middle or high school, they are seen as dumb. But they aren’t. They haven’t had a foundation provided by their parents. Doing what they do is all they know. But in high school, students need to step up and take control over their education. I’m not saying take a million APs. If you can only handle a regular class, or a level below that, try your best. If you get a good grade, the next year take a class a level higher. </p>

<p>It’s sad that this is happening. We need more prominent figures who emphasize education and not “those other things.”</p>

<p>I actually don’t understand this course of action. </p>

<p>What they should do instead of putting the children from the closed schools into classrooms is shoot half and send the other half to jail - this will be the statistical result of closing the schools, anyway. This is a goddamn modern Modest Proposal! Shame on Michigan!</p>

<p>

They are a product of their environment, but you can’t absolve them of all blame either. They still are the ones that control their own lives. While I agree that their environment strongly influences their behavior, they still have personal accountability. Everyone who is involved with Detroit Public Schools needs to take responsibility - students, teachers, administrators, and voters.</p>

<p>Throwing 60 kids in a classroom IS NOT the right choice. Many of the kids want to be productive. Throwing them into a classroom with 59 other students, and making them share one teacher is basically failing them and depriving them of a real education. Closing down schools isn’t necessarily the right option.</p>

<p>It’s quite remarkable, but still unsurprising that a the state would act to deprive an already struggling district in this way. Though I think the larger state of Michigan is going to start rethinking things once they realize that many of the parents of Detroit schools are not going to deal with this and flee to suburban schools…And they’ll get to changing things as quick as they made this decision, for the reason that they made this decision…</p>

<p>

Certainly the school district can raise taxes to make up for the state reductions…correct? It not as though this is a poor area…is it?

Which parents? The ones that are involved with their children’s education and who can afford to move to suburban schools? How many of those families are still left in DPS?</p>

<p>Michiganis in an overall serious financial crunch. Coupled with the fact that their governor is making some very radical political moves, I can’t see this story getting too better in the near future.</p>

<p>60 kids…when I was in DPS I had 40 kids in my class in the…3rd grade, talk about tough and the numbers only went up each year. I’m glad that I don’t go anymore, but highschool has been really hard coming from a failing DPS school.</p>

<p>^^^So true. I unwillingly left DPS after the 7th grade, but now I’m glad I did. Got my life turned around, and now I’m headed to college. It was pretty bad. 60 students at that age in that environment is not a recipe for success though. Not at all.</p>