Did I hear this right?

<p>I heard from my parents that the Virginia Tech Stats for 2010~2011 rose to 4.0GPA and 2000 SAT is this true? I want to know...</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/953180-admissions-stats-accepted-class-2014-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/953180-admissions-stats-accepted-class-2014-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>i feel like its getting harder each year ti get in to a college…</p>

<p>Due to the economy, I would believe this is very true. Kids who never thought they would go to Tech are going because they can’t afford to go private or OOS.</p>

<p>At our DD’s hs. If you were not in the IB or AICE program, and even n those programs, if you had less than a 3.9 wgpa you got the thin envelope.</p>

<p>One thing to realize is that sometimes the area you reside in will also impact the ability to get in. For example, NoVA is very competitive, and the kids know it so they load up on every AP/IB course they can get their hands on. Our DD’s class for the top 10% of the school had only a 0.01 percent difference from the Valedictorian to the bottom. The gpa difference between No 2 and No 1 in the class was 1/100 of 1%. They had over 30% of kids with a wgpa of at least 3.85, and 50% with a wgpa of 3.6. </p>

<p>And like I said the only ones that got the BFE from Tech were in the top 10%</p>

<p>The other thing to place into the equation as far as chances is if you are OOS or IS, for some it actually can be easier gaining admission if they are OOS, it just depends on their program. Architecture, not so much compared to Sociology.</p>

<p>Yeah, never thought about it during the application process; but what prima says is very true.</p>

<p>For me, I applied early decision with a 3.6-3.7ish; being from southern Virginia, (SoVA I guess?, lol). My SAT scores were a notch above the accepted average, but they wern’t really phenomenal. Though its important that you visit the university, talk with the admission guys about your personal situation, and see if your guidance counselor has any networks with them. And of course, do your best to improve your image.</p>

<p>For the first time, honestly ever, I worked and studied my butt off and got all A’s throughout the year. If you really want it, you’ll get to VT. Be mindful of also the community college route of 2 years. A lot of my friends are doing this with VT, William & Mary, & UVA to save a lot of cash and get a degree from their dream school.</p>

<p>With privilege comes responsibility. This is true in admissions. If you have the privilege of attending a school that offers 15 AP classes and you take 3, that’s not too impressive. If your school only offers 5 AP classes and you take three your profile is much better.</p>

<p>It only gets harder, never easier…</p>

<p>best way to save money esp if your not too thrilled about the “college experience” of your first year is to do 2 years at a community college in state and transfer to tech. Looking back I would have saved half of my total costs if I did that and you end up with the same degree from the same institution regardless. On top of that you tend to be much better prepared depending on your learning style.</p>

<p>It’s also much easier to do that route than apply out of high school because it’s competitive. As long as you get around a 3.2 or higher in community college you are good.</p>

<p>Yeah, repeat on what Chaz said, a lot of my friends are doing this, and basically as long as they meet a certain grade average; they’re guaranteed a spot at UVA, VT, William & Mary, whatever they want. They also have costs chopped up for tuition, they simply drive to campus cause thye live so close, a lot f money can be saved.</p>