Difference between CSCE and CEEL?

<p>I am talking about the Computer Engineering Computer Science track and the computer engineering electrical engineering track? How are the two different?</p>

<p>This site might be helpful to you:</p>

<p>[Academics</a> | College of Engineering](<a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/electrical/academics]Academics”>Electrical and Computer Engineering Academics | Texas A&M University Engineering)</p>

<p>Note the “What is Electrical Engineering” and “What is Computer Engineering” links on the left.</p>

<p>You can also compare degree plans here.</p>

<p>Now, there also appears to be a Computer Science major that does not have “Engineering” in the title, but does fall in the school of engineering.</p>

<p>That particular track does not dictate that you take Chemistry and Physics, has different math requirements, more CSCE requirements and a ton of technical electives different than those that are “engineering”.</p>

<p><a href=“Computer Science and Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering”>Computer Science and Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering;

<p>My guess is the computer science (without the engineering) is focused less on industrial computer systems and applications and more on computer techy type stuff. </p>

<p>There may be someone here who can do a better job explaining the split to you.</p>

<p>I think CS Engineering CE has more Computer Science course requirements than CEEL degree thru the EE department:</p>

<p><a href=“Computer Science and Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering”>Computer Science and Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering;

<p>In contrast there are a lot more Electrical Engineering courses required in Electrical Engineering CE:</p>

<p><a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/electrical/academics/degrees/computer/bs[/url]”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/electrical/academics/degrees/computer/bs&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Still confused? I am interested in programming and also in studying about the hardware of the system. Should i go for computer science or computer engineering?</p>

<p>for now i am going for computer engineering computer science track.</p>

<p>thank you for your help!</p>

<p>OP, call an adviser. But in the meantime, print out the degree plans and look up the descriptions of the classes. That may be of some help to you!</p>

<p>One question is what exactly do you want to do when you graduate? Do you want to write programs or do circuit design?</p>

<p>Looking at the depth tracks at:
<a href=“http://www.cs.tamu.edu/media/15042/C...6-20120501.pdf[/url]”>Computer Science and Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering; the ones </p>

<p>Hot job areas are (1) Mobile computing and (2) network security which fall under the Communications and Networks depth track.</p>

<p>Data mining is huge too, that is the Information depth track.</p>

<p>Unless you really want to do stuff like Microprocessor Design and Digital Integrated Circuit design why would you go the EE route?</p>

<p>BTW, my CS degree was from UVA engineering a long time ago, (1985). I come here to check stuff for my kid applying to Texas A&M.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t advise someone spend their college years just learning programming, be sure to specialize in an area like data mining, mobile computing, or network security to make yourself marketable.</p>

<p>@cromette I did go through the degree plans and the only differences I was able to find out were that the computer engineering (computer science track ) will focus on the computer science curriculum and have an electrical engineering aspect along with it , while the computer engineering (electrical engineering track) Will focus on the electrical engineering curriculum with a computer science aspect to it . </p>

<p>While the computer science( Department of computer science and engineering) has only software the software development side and no electrical or hardware aspect.</p>

<p>So I’m sticking to my decision of computer engineering from the computer science and engineering department as it has both the software development and the circuital side of the system, so its basically tougher?</p>

<p>I hope I make sense.</p>

<p>But I have a question. Will it still be possible to change my major if I choose this right now and decide that the other choice was the one for me at a later stage?</p>

<p>@TexasAtHome I have the same choices for the depth tracks in both majors , but I do get your point and will keep it in mind. Thank you for your response!</p>

<p>FutureAgg - Sounds like you’ve got it down! That was my assessment too. And I think you did right by looking at the detail of the courses and determining which track you have the most INTEREST in! :)</p>

<p>Yes, I think it will be possible to change your major. Many of the courses overlap. But remember, the earlier the better on a change.</p>

<p>It would be easier to change from Computer Engineering to Electrical Engineering. The courses are almost identical for the freshman year.</p>

<p>Good luck, OP and Gig 'Em!</p>

<p>Haha yeah I hope so.
I was actually talking about a change from Computer engineering to Computer Science (both from the department of computer science and engineering) would that be easy too? I think it would??</p>

<p>Thank you for all your help! </p>

<p>Good luck to your D too! :D</p>

<p>Thanks again and Gig 'Em!</p>