Direct Admit vs. 2+2 programs

New to these forums. I wish I would have discovered this last year when D21 was a junior.

Need help with DA vs. 2+2 programs and school decisions that will be coming down the pipeline for D21.
My daughter has applied to both DA and 2+2 nursing programs for Fall 2021 admit.
Her stats are as follows:
No SAT/ACT taken
GPA: 3.93 UW/ 4.15 W (4 AP classes)
53/343 (top 20%)
Hispanic/Female
CA- Southern CA area
Athlete x 4 years, Team Captain, EC’s, etc

She has applied to DA:
SDSU
CSUSM
Fullerton
ASU (accepted with 12k merit)
UT Austin
University of Hawaii Manoa (accepted to pre-nursing - waiting for DA decision in spring)

2+2 schools:
PLNU (accepted with 10k merit x2 years + small grant)
U of Arizona (15K merit)
CSULB
Sonoma State
Stanislaus
Baylor (accepted with 72k merit)

She is waiting to hear from all CA schools, and is fully aware of how competitive they are to get into. However, she would like to stay as close to home as possible (we live in San Diego, CA). Right now she is leaning towards PLNU ONLY because its closest to us (and my alma mater), but its a 2+2 program.

She will also be taking NCLEX pass rate into consideration, but that information is available online.

I know it is highly encourage to stick with DA programs, for obvious reasons. However, right now it is only ASU at this point and I think the very strict GPA requirement of 3.5 first 2 years makes me a little nervous. She is a good student. As a nurse myself, I know how difficult the program will be for her. I also know its very doable because I was able to graduate with honors from my ADN and BSN program while working and raising a family. Its hard, but not impossible. Then another part of me says to not worry about the 3.5 GPA requirements because if she decided on a 2+2 program, she would have to get AT LEAST a 3.5 to be remotely competitive to apply to the nursing program.

That being said, I want to provide my daughter the most information to each program she is accepted to by asking the 2+2 programs the following questions. (This is where I need your input. Please let me know what other questions I should ask. Your input is very appreciated). I want her to to be fully aware of any situation she is entering.

How many students get admitted as Pre-nursing students each year?

How many pre-nursing students are successful enough to apply to nursing program after pre-requite classes are met? (What is the pre-nursing attrition rate?)

How many students are admitted to your nursing program each year?

What is the average GPA of students admitted to nursing program?

**Do you admit a certain number of students (or percentage) to your nursing program that are transfer students?

What is the average number of applications you receive to nursing program each year?

Do you give priority students who completed pre-requisites at your university?

What else? I’m sure there are other great questions. I’m drawing a blank right now. If any of you have experience either way or links to other forum discussions, I would appreciate all the help available

TIA!

Family friend did a 2+2 and even though she met minimum requirements she was not accepted " she got caught up in more pre nursing students meeting requirements than spaces available" and had to transfer schools.
Make sure guarantee spot if meet requirements and not capped " competitive " spots before turning down a direct admit

2 Likes

If you are worried she wont maintain GPA at a DA, then she may likely not be accepted in the 2+2 either and you know this.

My school typically gets 3-4 times the number of applications for spots in their nursing program (which is a DA program).

If not a DA and they meet requirements after 2 years and are denied, can they apply the following semester and defer a semester or two? Of those who meet requirements but get denied, where do they go?

1 Like

Jumping in to agree that DA is the way to go and to offer information on ASU. My daughter was in the same boat as yours. We are from Nor Cal. Mine had 3.9 weighted GPA with good ECs. She didn’t even attempt SDSU or Fullerton but did get into Seattle, Portland, Gonzaga, FAU, ASU and a few others. She is now in her 4th semester at ASU. She will start clinicals in the fall. We were concerned with the 3.5 gpa but the easy flight from Sac to Phoenix, the weather, her desire for a spirited school with sports and the ability to be a part of greek life, won her over. Plus mom and dad liked the merit awarded. She has had no problem maintaining the 3.5 gpa. The first couple of semesters, they take English and math classes that balance out the hard science classes and help the gpa. They also start taking nursing related classes that are actually interesting to them. The freshman dorm is in Phoenix and houses the nursing students on the same floors. They work together to study and prepare for exams. Also classes are within a 5 minute walk so super convenient. She was able to go to athletic events, join a sorority and make great friends. As you know, you need much higher than a 3.5 gpa to get into the clinical portion of a 2+2 program and instead of working together, those students are fighting it out for the few coveted spots. DM me if you want more information on ASU. I would not rule it out just because of the 3.5. You do have to put school first, no question but it is doable.

1 Like

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I’m a DNP. I have taught clinical as well as some lecture sections for a top 10 BSN program. I have also coached a number of wannabe nurses through the process and written many letters of rec. no question do the DA. These programs are getting harder and harder to get in. I have seen too many bright, capable students with very high GPA’s get turned down for 2+2 programs and end up spending a lot more time in college then they planned. I understand wanting to stay close to home but if I were you I would plan on ASU- visit, meet with other students and get comfortable with it- while you wait for any other acceptances.

1 Like

Have you checked what the weed-out GPAs for SDSU, CSUSM, CSU Fullerton, and Hawaii are if she gets into the direct-admit nursing majors there?

It looks like CSU Fullerton requires the following to stay in:

• 3.0 GPA overall and in prerequisites.
  • B- or higher in science prerequisites.
  • C or higher in non-science prerequisites.

http://nursing.fullerton.edu/programs/elfreshmen/curriculum.php

For SDSU Direct admit Nursing program:

Preparation for the Major:

Students in the nursing program are coded as nursing majors once they successfully completed Biology 211, 211L, 212, 261, Chemistry 102, Statistics 250 (or Biology 215 or Psychology 280), Communication 103 (or a course listed under General Education I.1. Oral Communication), Rhetoric and Writing Studies 100 (or a course listed under General Education, I.2. Written Communication) and Rhetoric and Writing Studies 200 (or a course listed under General Education, I.3. Critical Thinking), with the required grades (B- or above for all biology courses, C or above for all others). Nursing 202, 206, 208, 219, and 221. (43 units)

Retention Policy
Progress in the nursing program is dependent upon completion of preparation for the major and nursing courses each semester. Students will not be permitted to progress to the next semester until preparation for the major and nursing courses are completed from the previous semester. Students who meet any one of the following criteria will be dropped from the program: (1) earn a grade of C- (1.7) or below in two nursing courses; (2) earn less than the required grade for two prerequisite courses; (3) earn a grade of C- (1.7) or below in one nursing course twice or below the minimum required grade in one prerequisite course twice. Continuation in good standing in the nursing program is contingent on students following the defined plan of study. Student failure to follow the plan of study may result in either removal from the program or an extended time frame for program completion. See the School of Nursing student handbook for updated information.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this @Gumbymom Literally looking for this info as you posted it.
These requirements seem totally reasonable to me. And, truthfully, a minimum GPA of 3.5 at ASU isn’t very unreasonable either considering the degree itself. I do, however, see in the SDSU requirements a little more “grace”, so to speak, then a strict 3.5 minimum with no option to recover. At least SDSU has a “two course” grace which, I feel, is more lenient.

I also don’t want to given the impression that my daughter can’t handle it if she put her mind to it. I know she can. I also know each nursing program will have a minimum requirement to remain in the program (even DA) and that she cannot slack off and think she has it made. I just worry that one slip up on one big exam that drops her grade to B towards the end of the semester will drop her from the program. Maybe I’m just worrying too much. LOL

Thank you @LollieW for the offer. I’m sure I will be messaging you questions.

yes, you probably want DA if the kid is sure of the path. However, I want to talk a little bit about the numbers.

I work at a school that’s 2+2. Also, full disclosure, my D graduated from here with a BSN. Now, every year, “nursing” is one of the most popular majors that incoming freshman are pursuing, even though they haven’t/can’t declare the major yet. By the time students are ready to apply, t least half won’t. They’ve already changed direction. Sometimes, they didn’t have the grades, but mostly, they just realize they want to do something else. SO, from a raw numbers perspective, of all the students who entered proclaiming in interest in pursuing nursing, it does look like only a small percentage actually get spots. However, the reality is very different. So, when you ask, ask about percentage accepted out of those who actually met the requirements to apply.

1 Like

@playinthegame My understanding is that most DA program would not drop a student from the program “immediately” after a failed (lower than required GPA) course. They would instead be asked to re-take the course one more time, or be put on probation status and has another semester to get back on track.

All of the DA programs my D is looking at have some sort of remediation / probation for falling below required GPA. DA definitely takes off some of the pressure in that regard. Competing for a 2+2 spot just feels so cut throat to me. I think it is also nearly a guarantee you will not get into a competitive 2+2 program if you can’t maintain a 3.5 (in many cases higher) GPA during pre-reqs.

1 Like