Direct Entry Nursing for Fall 2024 Admittance

This a thread created for those applying to any direct admit nursing programs for Fall 2024. Would love for you to share your info (including any historical data on admittance to direct admit nursing programs)

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, courses, date applied, date accepted, any merit, guaranteed pathways programs, ECs, early action vs. regular, etc…

Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

3 Likes

University of Pittsburgh:

Timeline for OOS School of Nursing Acceptance:
W 96.7 (Test Optional), 15 IB /Honors/ AP/ Dual Enrollment, Great EC’s, Varsity Sports, Volunteer, Clubs, etc…
• 9/27 Submitted via Common App / SRAR
• 10/10 Application moved to “review” phase (Notified via email)
• 10/20 Status “Complete” and Accept / Reject Button showed up
• 10/23 Acceptance Letter in Document Center after 7pm (Did not get Guaranteed Nursing Admission, but was thrilled for acceptance letter so not a big deal).
• 10/30 Personalized Video Received via email (Very cute!!!)

**No merit offered to date…hopefully something will show up in Document Center.

2 Likes

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to share it here to give others hope since I read so much here about how competitive DE nursing admission is and how optional is not truly optional, etc.

Due to health issues, DD24 was mostly bedbound for middle school and the early years of high school, so had minimal activities, no test scores, etc.

She attended online school freshman and sophomore years (no honors or AP classes, only standard college prep curriculum) and now is homeschooled, taking dual enrollment classes (6 DE courses junior year and plans to complete 5 DE courses this year). Her current plan is to continue in the nursing program at the CC she currently attends, but wanted to apply to BSN programs in case she changes her mind or doesn’t get into the CC program.

She applied to most of the programs in August/early September (all are rolling admissions) and didn’t want to bother writing an essay or getting teacher recommendations, so she only applied to programs where these were optional.

state of residence: PA
GPA: 4.0 unweighted/4.3 weighted
SAT/ACT: did not take
activities: part-time job and a seasonal sport only for less than a year
LOR: none, other than one written by me as guidance counselor as required in common app
essay: none

Accepted to DE nursing at:
Bloomsburg: $5K/yr scholarship
IUP: $5K/yr scholarship + $1K housing grant 1st year
Holy Family: $23K/yr scholarship
Neumann Univ: $25K/yr scholarship
Wilkes Univ: $28K/yr scholarship
Saint Francis Univ: ~$24K/yr scholarship
Fairleigh Dickinson Univ: $25K/yr scholarship
PA College of Tech

Still waiting to hear from West Chester.

​ ​ ​ ​

3 Likes

Wow! Congratulations to your daughter! She has come so far and has so much to be proud of! She did awesome getting into great DEs and with scholarships too! She must be so happy!

Agree…the Direct Admit/Entry for Nursing is so competitive so this definitely gives hope to others (including for my daughter). Thank you so much for sharing!

AAAA13 – What other DE nursing programs/schools is your student applying to?

Other options to apply with DE were Penn State, UDel, Fairfield, SHU, Binghamton, OSU, UConn, and URI.
Any others you liked?

Which do you think is a tougher admit for BSN? PSU, Pitt, or OSU (direct entry)? I assume UMich is tougher than all of these. Good luck to all!

I would think you are correct, but not sure how many apply to each so IDK. I am so new to this process so just trying learn from everyone. All the ones you listed are highly rated though:)

OSU direct entry from high school is very different from the other schools’ programs and requires the completion of the 7 prerequisite courses while still in high school (either by AP or college/community college courses). Those students accepted then skip freshman year entirely and enter as sophomores. Also, notification of admission to this program is not until mid-June, after high school graduation.

Yes definitely agree…OSU has a different sort of entry, but there are also 3 different options of BSN entry for HS Seniors to apply (ignore this if you are aware already:). Wanted to share just in case. I added the link below as they have a chart that explains each type of BSN entry and requirements (too complicated to explain- haha!). The 3 pathways are direct from HS, early admissions/pre-nursing, and traditional. Scroll down the page on the link below to the “Comparing BSN Pathways Chart”.

1 Like

No, I wasn’t aware. Thanks for the information. I know much more about the programs in my state (Pennsylvania), such as the ones in @samsmom20 's post.

1 Like

*Unweighted GPA: 3.93 / Weighted 4.22
*6 AP’s, 53 hours of community college classes (none of these are applied to her high school transcript, so concurrent enrollment, not dual-enrollment), IGETC certification (CA) completed 12/2023 with GPA: 3.9, CA State Seal of Biliteracy for Spanish
*Competitive Dance, independent of school system, 8+ years, 20+ hours per week, also teaches classes.

• Volunteers at local hospital for 6 months, American Red Cross Volunteer
    *Applied to UCLA, UCI, CalFullerton, SDSU, USF, PointLoma, ASU, UNReno
    *Applied to ASU on 10/17, accepted on 10/25, notified on 11/1 New American Univ Dean’s Scholarship of $12,500. Will accept 77% of her community college classes.
    *Applied to UNReno on 10/17, accepted on 10/26, pre-nursing. Will accept 100% of her community college classes. Realized it is not Direct Entry, but also not as hard as CSU’s to test into Nursing.

Hoping for UCLA, UCI, SDSU, or CalF, but grateful for ASU. Not sure of the value of adding Barrett’s Honor College, so haven’t applied. Ultimate goal is BSN, work for 2 years, go back to school and get FNP. Good Luck to EVERYONE!

1 Like

My D24 has applied Early Action to several BSN programs:

4.0 UW, 5.1 W GPA
1300 SAT, sent to some schools
rigorous public high school, Austin TX
5 APS, 4 dual enrollment courses, Anatomy and Physiology, AP Stats senior year
4 years of French in high school
Varsity Soccer player, club soccer, shadowing OBGYN this fall, lots of volunteer hours (400+), part time job junior and senior year

Accepted:
Belmont, $8000/year merit
Pitt, waiting on merit

Waiting on:
TCU
Indiana
Miami Ohio
Michigan (reach)
UVA (reach)
University of Denver (no nursing, but loved school and wanted to apply)

2 Likes

Just wondering because you are from Austin-did your d apply to UT Austin Nursing? I am aware it is a tough admit!

No, she did not. She isn’t interested in staying that close to home. And she wouldn’t be an auto admit so chances would be slim to get in.

1 Like

I’m a class of 2023 mom but am helping my daughter’s friend who plans to enter college in Fall 2025 and wants to go into nursing. I’m just starting my research on her behalf and will be following along closely. I know almost nothing about nursing and the different options available. I’m looking forward to learning! She is in the PNW.

1 Like

Does she want to stay in the PNW or is she willing to go to another part of the country? I know very little about nursing programs in the PNW. The mid-west, mid-Atlantic, and northeastern states have quite a few direct entry programs; Pennsylvania alone has over 50. If she is sure of this major, direct entry is her best bet. What type of school is she looking for (small, large, urban, suburban, rural, Greek life, no Greek life, religious affiliation or secular only, etc.)? How strong of a student is she? How much can her family contribute to her education?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!! Actually I’m meeting with her for the first time in two days so right now I’m just familiarizing myself with the field. I will definitely be asking her every single one of these questions! My gut tells me the answer to many might be on the conservative side of things (not politically but money, distance, etc.) But I don’t want to assume of course. My next thing I need to research before this meeting is the most conservative option: our local nursing program at our local and rural CC.

Anyone know if Charleston Southern is direct entry?

It looks like Charleston Southern does have a direct entry pathway for students that meet the criteria (see the criteria under Early Acceptance Eligibility):