ohio state nursing change?

there is always a lot of talk about whether OSU nursing is direct admit or not. This is new on the website, and I was curious about whether anyone here has had any experience with osu admissions lately to confirm it?

There is always a lot of discussion about whether Ohio State nursing is direct admit or not. This is new on the website, and I wonder if anyone has verified it?:

Students Applying Directly from High School:

Senior-level high school students may apply directly to the College of Nursing BSN program for Autumn 2018 admission. The following items must be complete in order to be considered for admission to the BSN program:

Students must apply concurrently to:
The Ohio State University - through the Undergraduate Admissions website (by February 1, 2018)
Applicant must be accepted to The Ohio State University Columbus Campus only.
The College of Nursing BSN program - through the Professional Admissions website (by January 15, 2018)
Completion of all prerequisite courses by the end of the 2018 Spring Semester with a C+ or better.*
Minimum GPA of a 3.2 on a 4.0 scale on overall collegiate academic courses.
Completion of 30 semester credit hours of college coursework (25 of which are prerequisite courses) by the end of the 2018 Spring Semester.
*Students taking prerequisite courses at institutions that do not award grades on a +/- scale must earn a grade of “B” or higher in each of the prerequisite courses in order to be eligible for admission.

This still doesn’t sound like direct admit to me, since you are still assessed at the end of your freshman year. Maybe it’s semantics, who knows.

There is a good discussion going on in the Ohio State subforum about this. The answer is … no one really knows. I’m surprised that there is not a clear answer on this.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/ohio-state-university-columbus/2056658-ohio-state-pre-nursing-vs-direct-entry-elsewhere.html#latest

I’m beginning to think that OSU doesn’t even know. Hopefully after our visit this month we’ll have the answer. It doesn’t need to be this complicated.

This is the cynic in me, but I don’t think OSU cares what the perception is.

There are likely enough people applying that the few people who won’t apply over the direct admission question are barely a blip on the radar. People apply to non-direct admission programs all the time, which means universities can basically over-enroll the major for freshmen year and then weed it out for sophomore year.

I talked to a nursing dean on a summer tour and she said she doesn’t like non-direct admit programs (hers is a DA) because they foster competition instead of cooperation. My daughter’s program (University of Cincinnati) went DA in the last five years or so.

There might be a trend towards DA, I don’t know. But there isn’t much incentive for a direct admit program if kids will still apply no matter what.

@Banker1 I look forward to hearing what you find out … maybe when someone looks them in the eye and asks, they will say one way or another.

Ok @bearcatfan and others. Here’s what we found out. I posted this in the OSU thread but wanted to make sure folks here had it as well. D visited campus today. During the nursing portion it was confirmed that the school is no longer direct entry. Instead it is Pre-Nursing (no exceptions such as Honors were listed). Students apply to get into Nursing during freshman year. The numbers:
target freshmen enrollment for pre-nursing: 180
students accepted into Nursing program: 166
number of students applying to Nursing: 400
The 400 is made up of the 180 plus the CC and other college transfers and OSU students switching majors. So acceptance is about 40% to get into the Nursing program. Not nearly as low as other programs. A major factor of the application apart from completion of prerequisites with high GPA is the essay and some students spend weeks to craft theirs. So it’s not just high stats that are needed.
My D has eliminated OSU since it isn’t direct entry but also for her the campus is too large (40 residence halls, 12 libraries, etc.) I thought this might help someone. Good luck to all students!