Direct Entry Nursing Program

Hi, I’m starting to really get nervous about applying for college. I’m a senior in high school, and really want to get into a direct admit nursing programs but I don’t have a strong test score or strong GPA. My ACT is a 25, and my GPA is a 3.9 (weighted). I’ve been volunteering at a hospital for the past four years, I have my CNA, I’ve been working on a research project for the past two years and published my research in a journal article, I’m in numerous clubs and societies, and I’m a ballet dancer.
I’m applying to:

• Gonzaga
  • University of Portland
  • University of New Hampshire
  • Regis University
  • Creighton University
  • Xavier University
  • Drexel University
  • Marquette University

I don’t know if some of the choices I’m looking to apply to are even worth paying for based on my scores. If anybody could give me insight on averages that got them into some of these schools, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

What region of the country do you live in?

My daughter applied to Xavier with similar stats (also a ballet dancer, lol) and got in but it was still very expensive. She much preferred the program across town, the University of Cincinnati, which is also a direct admit program and that’s where she is now.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about the others.

UNH very competitive because they take few students. Ate u willing to look at many northeast schools? There are a lot in Penn that u may qualify for

If a program has an EA option, I would suggest that you send in those applications asap. The competition for direct entry programs is fierce and your stats are at the lower end of the spectrum. Most schools will recalculate GPA. Your EC’s are very strong. It is also very important to obtain a solid letter of recommendation and submit a strong essay. Have you taken any AP’s in the sciences? Have you taken the most rigorous courses especially in the math and sciences?

Ok, that’s good to know, thank you! And I definitely plan on submitting early action and as soon as possible. I’m in AP Stat. and AP Biology right now. I’m also in the three-year biotechnology program (even though it isn’t AP I think it will help). Thank you for the help!

I don’t live in the northeast but I have a ton of family out there; I’ll look into Penn! Thank you!

Most New England schools are direct entry too

Even if a college does not have early admissions, I still would try to get applications in as early as reasonable. Many classes fill up early. At some colleges, earlier applicants have a better chance at aid. Also, a couple colleges won’t accept any nursing applications after October.

That also means making sure your guidance counselor has everything they need from you as soon as possible, and that you ask for any teacher recommendation early. It also means getting an early start on any essays that are needed, and making sure you have scheduled any SATs or ACTs for as soon as possible.

@Charliesch Do you off hand remember any of the ones don’t accept any after October? We are worried as the guidance won’t have it done by then. TIA

I only know PA. colleges. Bloomsburg U. in PA has a Nov. 15th deadline for nursing applicants, but they say to get your applications in by October. Pitt does not have a definite deadline, but they have rolling admissions, so they accept well-qualified students soon after they apply. It is possible to get an acceptance in Sept. or October. The marginal applicants have to wait months for a decision. Misericordia U. sent out an acceptance package to my daughter the same day in October that they received her application. West Chester U. fills up their nursing class quickly. York College of PA fills up their class by November. As of a few years, ago, York College required nursing students to pay a deposit to reserve their seat by December, and later applicants may have to do the 4.5 year program, instead of the 4 year program.

UVa has a non-binding early decision program. Statistically, the chances of getting accepted early action are supposed to be similar to the regular round, and many students are deferred for a second look in the regular admissions round. If deferred, the most important factor becomes your grades in the first half of your senior year.

Many community college nursing programs have long waiting lists.

Many colleges have limited financial aid, and do not offer much to later applicants.

Students feel much better after they get their first admission, because they know they have at least one option.