Diversity at UW-Madison?

<p>I was looking at the collegeboard website, and I see that nearly 80% of the student demographic is white. Now, I will be attending Madison this fall, but... being Afghan, I don't think I'll fit in. I also checked out the Muslim Student Assocation website, and it looks like there are only a handful of members...</p>

<p>Thoughts, guys? Often times, the collegeboard's stats are wrong (at least for me and some others it's been this way, as far as demograhpics go), but, current/prospective students who've visited, what can you say about the diversity among students at Madison?</p>

<p>Weird thread perhaps... Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.</p>

<p>G'night.</p>

<p>Afghan, as in, first-generation American with Afghani parents, or as in you'll be joining us from Afghanistan?</p>

<p>I'll be a freshman next year so I don't have any first-hand experience, but I'd imagine you should get along just fine :)</p>

<p>That's not much consolation, I know, but everybody will find their niche, I think. It's a huge school, so I'm pretty sure we can all find a fun group of people to hang around.</p>

<p>If it helps, Im an Asian-Indian, who has an American passport and lives currently in the Hong Kong. Will be arrving from the other side of the world, but from what I have heard, it doesnt matter, the students in general are very helpful, freindly and open minded.</p>

<p>Sulaymanshah, you should also check out some country-specific student associations. I know the Muslim students from South East Asia (specifically Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia) have a sizable, healthy and close-knit community in Madison. Back in my student days, they made weekly trip to Chicago to procure Halal meat and food for themselves. </p>

<p>I don't know how much has changed since my days. But most students were respectful but ignorant of other religions aside their owns. So be prepared for some awkward situations. Please use those moments to clarify/educate others who are less familiar with your religion.</p>

<p>Afghan, as in, first-generation American with Afghani parents, or as in you'll be joining us from Afghanistan?</p>

<p>I'm a 1st-generation American of Afghan descent.</p>

<p>Sulaymanshah, you should also check out some country-specific student associations. I know the Muslim students from South East Asia (specifically Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia) have a sizable, healthy and close-knit community in Madison. Back in my student days, they made weekly trip to Chicago to procure Halal meat and food for themselves.</p>

<p>Bless them, they are good people. Thank you for the help, and I look forward to meeting these students.</p>

<p>Being American, you may find differences between your part of the country and Wisconsin trump home culture and religion. Not following Judeochristian mythology won't affect you on campus like it does in the rest of the US culture as social life in college doesn't revolve around churches like it seems to elsewhere. Please do not be offended when people like I was at your age try to learn what it's like outside their little hometown boxes (even if those boxes are big cities). I remember being so naive and learning a lot by being exposed to girls in the dorm (none coed in those days) from other countries and religions. You will find some of those Wisconsonites are not typical- my son has an Indian immigrant father, he learned about both Hindu and Catholic religions when he was little, and of course is neither. You may find many/most of the instate students choose Madison because of its liberal nature and are glad to escape their hometowns, they would choose other campuses otherwise.</p>

<p>Don't worry. The campus is big enough for you to find your niche. It will be nice for you to experience your life without the constraints parents place on you, a good chance to find out who YOU really are, and how you want to fit into this country independent of your childhood's expectations, although not necessarily any differently. Good luck!</p>

<p>diversity doesnt just have to be ethnic - theres diversity of thought, diversity of ideology, diversity of background, belief, etc... honestly, its not all about being white or not</p>

<p>just as a point of reference - im like, one of 5 minoriteis in my senior class of 500 (im indian+chinese, so i kinda look mexican)... i live in fairfield county in CT, which is just soooo white... our school is 99% white... you can get along with white people if youre not white, it isnt hard, and you dont really feel left out if you try to be outgoing/social</p>

<p>it really doesn't matter...but I could have sworn that it was 92% of the students attending that were white...but those statistics are probably wrong. Regardless, "crouton" makes an excellent point and you shouldn't worry about the student demographic too much, college is purely what you take from it- just be open to meeting people of different backgrounds, ways of thinking, and nationalities..because you would be surprised to see how diverse UMW is in that sense.</p>

<p>What's UMW? I know UWM is UW- Milwaukee... if you say UWM in this state that's the school you mean. UW is the grandaddy, flagship school, in Madison.</p>

<p>I saw in some outdoors magazine in the barbershop the other day that UW is considered the 18th most beautiful campus in the country.</p>

<p>Pretty neat, in my opinion.</p>

<p>oh shh wis75, you know what i meant. :P</p>

<p>Trying to educate those who have no idea, then they'll sound like natives when they're here...</p>