Do courses ever get canceled if not enough kids sign up?

<p>Hi, y’all. I am about to place a sizable order at Amazon.com – mostly my son’s textbooks plus a few other non-related things.</p>

<p>Before I do, though, I want to make sure the books I’m ordering will actually be used. Here’s the situation: DS has signed up for a history class that has a cap of 40 students. To date, only five kids have signed up, and it does not look as if many more will be coming out of the woodwork.</p>

<p>Question: Does Bama consider it worthwhile to hold an undergraduate class even if only five kids are enrolled?</p>

<p>My son’s Greek class has only five kids, but you kind of expect that with Greek!</p>

<p>Is there a minimum sign-up figure required before a course can actually be offered?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>Is that class offered at another time?</p>

<p>If so, can your son take that class?</p>

<p>Can your son email the prof and ask?</p>

<p>Often it’s not cost effective to have only 5 in a class, but I don’t think there’s a rule or set guideline.</p>

<p>Are the books eligible for Amazon Prime Shipping? If so and you have Amazon Prime, I would wait until classes start before ordering textbooks for that class.</p>

<p>Courses do get cancelled due to low enrollment, but what constitutes low enrollment depends on the course.</p>

<p>LadyDianeski: My son had a calculus class canceled his freshman year because of low enrollment. Students can still register before classes begin on the 11th, so there is a possibility that your son’s history class still may go. Wait a couple of days and see.</p>

<p>Yes, classes do get cancelled sometimes.</p>

<p>Usually the books are not needed immediately and you can get Amazon to ship in an expedited way. Why not wait and see, books can be shipped directly to Paty.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all! Alas, impulsive critter that I am, I went ahead and ordered the books. (Yes, I do have Amazon Prime – LOVE it!! Indispensable!)</p>

<p>Guess I will send the books back if worse comes to worst. The biggest charge in the order was an insulated dog house, which has nothing to do with any Bama class, of course. (Although it may be where DS ends up if he fails to keep his grades up. :))</p>

<p>S tells me he is going to wait until classes start & he has the sylabbi to order books as he didn’t need some last semester & used the online versions. This makes me nervous, but I guess he can get them via Amazon Prime or Supe store as soon as he finds out.</p>