Do I have a shot?

Hi, to start off I’m from NJ, first generation Hispanic male, from a low income family. I have a 3.9 weighted GPA (probably higher now since I finished first semester with all A’s) and 1320 SAT. I applied EA for engineering and some courses I’m taking that allign with that are multi variable Calc, AP physics C, and honors intro to engineering w/robotics. I also got a 4 on the AP calc exam last year. My EC’s are track 4 years w/ varsity positions, two years of football, ecology club, and coding club. I also work 20+ hours a week. Do I have a shot?

For any major but engineering I would say yes. For engineering its going to be tight.

You have a good SAT but your GPA is below average. HOWEVER, you have several other things going for you in that you are hispanic, and first generation and low income. You are the type of candidate they do want to give advantage too. So yes I would say you have an average shot. Hesitant to say but if you were in state virginia I would have thought maybe a good shot.

I wish the best for you - I would get a transcript to them on those 1st Semester grades. could push you over the top if they will look at them now vs. deferring and waiting for regular admission (which from the way they talk regular admission will have more limited spots).

@juan1801 See if your guidance department has statistics they will share re: students admitted from your high school in prior years. Does your school use Naviance or another tool to track that info? That can be a much more reliable source of info than you or anyone else trying to read the tea leaves based on the nationwide/comprehensive admissions data that VT posts online. Last year’s application/admission process really showed how unpredictable admissions decisions can be, with plenty of high score and GPA applicants being rejected or wait listed, while some other less flashy applicants stats-wise were admitted.

This year may well be even more unpredictable, and likely more competitive with the transition to the coalition application. The best thing you can probably do is explore and discover more about what you liked about all of the schools you applied to, knowing that even if you don’t get your first choice you will have an opportunity to thrive at one of the others. Good luck!