Do people at UM like Fishing?

<p>I love to fish and I saw that Miami won Field and Stream's #1 best fishing city so I was wondering if there are very many avid fisherman at UM who take advantage of the phenomenal natural setting?</p>

<p>I would love finish up with class and go catch some tarpon permit or bonefish onthefly!</p>

<p>Its possible that people got off and fish after class, but unlikely. a) you need a boat. most college kids can’t afford one. b) if you have a boat, where do you keep it? that is more money. </p>

<p>True, you could always charter a boat, but usually that has to be done in advance. </p>

<p>The only fishing I have seen done at UM is with smaller rods trying to catch the fish in our lake… know there are lots of fish there. But I have never seen anyone catch anything… I do see people trying probably once a week or so, so maybe it is possible.</p>

<p>I was thinking on the weekends I could wade the flats of key biscayne for bonefish or fish from the banks of some of the canals that have peacock bass</p>

<p>It’s not a common hobby for the students at Miami, but I’m sure if you look around, you can find a few people who would like to go fishing on the weekend. However, the majority of students can be found at the beach (Crandon Park, Key Biscayne, South Beach, etc) during the weekends.</p>

<p>I can’t believe it is not more common! Miami is one of the best fishing destinations in the world and people dont take advantage</p>

<p>just as i feared</p>

<p>Onthefly,</p>

<p>To be brutally honest, you really do not get a huge amount of people who do fun things like. The majority of the student body has money and is not afraid to spend it in these times of economic hardship. However, you do no have that bulk on merit scholarship and financial aid who do watch where they spend their money, but everyone likes the Grove/ South Beach, even if its just a few times a semester. May I suggest that you live on an interest floor, maybe you can make a floor called Gone 'Fishing or something to do with outdoor sports. I had a couple of friends who were on special interest floors in both Stanford (one of the freshmen towers) and Mahoney/Pearson (upperclassmen dorms; suite-style). Some of the past ones were the International floor and Wellness Center floor and I know this year there is going to be a Salsa Craze or Latin floor.</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>

<p>thanks bruin</p>