What to do on the weekends?

<p>Sooo I'm a prospective student, and I'm just curious as to what freshmen and other students do when they're not in class. I've heard about the frat parties, clubs, etc. And I mean I'm curious about that nightlife too, but what else do students do if they don't like to party all the time? (I mean some but not every night of every weekend). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Well, there are a multitude of student activities and clubs on campus that you can become involved in, and if there isn’t a club for your interest, you can always make it yourself. Other than that, Coconut Grove and Sunset Drive are good student hangout spots.</p>

<p>The great thing about living in Miami is that there’s always something going on, even non-alcoholic related. There’s always shows and performances in the performing arts center downtown, artists are always coming through South Florida, and the area has a team in all 4 of the major sports. As a student, I go to Sunset Place once in awhile (there’s a movie theater in there and a bunch of local restaurants near by) and sometimes venture out to The Falls (another outdoor shopping/restaurants area). One of my favorite nights out was when I traveled to Miami Beach at night (no clubs/bars, way too expensive + you need to be 21+) and saw a bunch of outdoor performances. No matter your tastes, Miami/SoFla has something to offer you</p>

<p>My freshman S frequently golfs and fishes on the weekends. (He fishes in the campus lake, but shhhh… it’s not allowed.) He also joined a frat that does a lot of community service activities on the weekends. He likes hanging out at the Grove but not South Beach as he’s not much into clubbing. There’s an amazing variety of things to do at UM. Whatever it is that you enjoy, I’m sure you’ll find it.</p>

<p>I’ve heard that fishing in the lake is allowed… Are you sure it isn’t?</p>

<p>He’s been caught and told he can’t do it. Now he goes to some spots where he’s less visible.</p>