Do UCs coordinate acceptances among campuses?

Since they see all the campuses for applicant do they talk to each other? For example if someone is accepted to UCB, will lower tier UC still offer admission?

I seriously doubt the UC campuses talk to each other in regards to whom they will accept or reject. If you are accepted at UCB, most likely you will be accepted at other UC campuses to which you have applied. Each applicant will be reviewed slightly different by each campus especially the essay portion, so what one admission officer finds compelling may not resonate with another.

@Gumbymom I would think so too, but my DC was accepted at UCB with Regents invitation among other very good non UC acceptances so far. She also was sent UCLA Alumni invite, but not Regents. The most puzzling part is that she applied to mid-tier UCs as well, but did not get scholarship invites and early acceptances from UCI and UCSB.

Again, each school does look for something different when it comes to Scholarships and Regents. UCSB does not always choose high Stat applicants, but applicants with significant volunteer experience and leadership qualities, so like I stated above, it will vary from campus to campus.

I think they do talk to each other and they try to protect their yield. Especially if they think someone is using mid-tier school as a safety.

No. But, if you did not apply to UC Merced and got rejected to the other UC’s and if you meet the UC requirements, you will be offered admission to UC Merced, if there is space available.

I’m reasonably sure they do NOT talk to each other. The counselors at D’s high school told us that UCB would love to have their admissions process completely separate from all the other UCs and that the review is unique to UCB. In any case, as Gumbymom has already said, the review is different for each campus. There are always unexpected and weird results. It depends on the major, the program (UCSB has a special process for its Creative Studies program for example), the high school and area.

I personally do not think it really matters, since you can only attend one school. If you are accepted than great, if you are not, then move on. There is more to life than worrying about if you get into one UC or nine UC’s.

True. But it is not always the UC you want. She would prefer UCLA, but got into UCB. If they share this information and UCLA would think she will go to UCB, this will lock her out of UCs, since she will take USC with scholarship over UCB, but will have to think a little longer if she gets into UCLA.

There are so many people that get into UCB and other UCs that I can’t imagine there is any truth to them denying applicants to preserve their yield rate.

This fails to take into account that some people actually prefer a mid or lower tier UC, but apply to Cal or UCLA anyway for whatever their personal reasons are. Automatically assuming that someone would drop everything and go to Cal or UCLA over another UC is awfully presumptuous, and the admissions staff know that. Even if the UCs did coordinate acceptances (which I’m fairly certain they don’t), you can’t automatically assume which UC someone would choose if they were accepted to multiple, because it depends on a lot of different factors unique to each person.

I am trying to understand the fact how someone can get into UCB and not into UCSB or UCI.

I know a UCB freshman in L&S who was rejected from UCLA, UCSD, UCD, and UCSB. UCB and UCI were their only choices. Roughly 4.25 UC GPA and 2050 SAT, no extenuating circumstances (low income, hardships, etc.).

Excellent example. The question is why?

Again, it depends on the major, the high school, the profile.

Because each campus looks for different things.

I’ve heard of each campus looking for different things concept. It would be helpful for future applicants to know some of those things that they are looking for. In general strong applicant with 2300+ SAT 4.8+ GPA, tons of APs, leadership, volunteering hours and great essay should be in all mid- tier UCs. What else can keep this type of applicant out?

https://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/applying/freshman/selection

UCSB says they weight the UC GPA, a-g, & exam scores 50% and the personal statement and activities 50%.

I don’t know if UCB or others specify their weighting, but the holistic review section at http://admissions.berkeley.edu/selectsstudents mentions extracurriculars in item 6 and personal qualities in item 2. Berkeley’s description does seem to place a lot more emphasis on course rigor and intellectual achievements than UCSB.

Very helpful @Ynotgo . And also the fact that only UCB and UCLA look at uncapped GPA. So tons of APs will be irrelevant at mid-level UCs, since they cap at 8 semesters. In fact they will be harmful, since capped GPA goes down with more AP taken over the 8 semesters.

UCSB in particular has admissions that seem random, due to 50% of their admission being based on subjective traits. Especially when it comes to essays, 2 different readers could form 2 completely different opinions. My son’s second essay was about his comfort zone in the more structured world of math vs more subjective subjects. If the reader has a masters in literature, it may go over differently than if the reader has a masters in STEM. I wondered about the wisdom of that essay, but it is definitely who my son is, so it will be what it will be.