Does ACT Writing need to be taken once, or with every test?

I took the ACT a while back and got a 34 Composite, with a 10 or 11 on the writing. This was my “trial” ACT, and although I was fine with my writing score, I felt like I could improve my Composite. The second time I took it without writing and got a 36. Am I correct in assuming that the UCs will only accept the 34? I know UC’s don’t superscore, and there is only room to submit one ACT(i.e 1 of each subject, 1 writing score, and 1 date of test taken) on the UC App.

I know a 34 is still a great score, and I’m not going to retake. However, a 36 would basically guarantee me admission into UCSD/UCSB according to my school’s Naviance scattergrams(and make my life just a little bit less stressful). I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt my chances at UCLA/Cal either. I’m fairly sure this won’t be a problem on the common app schools that can see all my scores----Correct me if I’m wrong about this.

The bottom line is, is there anything I can/should do to notify the UC’s that I scored a 36? Should I send the score to them directly or add a little note in the additional info box?

Thanks

In no way would a 36 guarantee your admission to any UC. GPA is much more important. In fact, the odds of admission won’t move a bit between a 34 and a 36 at any UC, You should send all your scores to the shared UC id.

What are your other stats?

UC’s require the ACT with writing so your ACT score of 36 will not be considered.
UC’s accept the highest score with writing from a single sitting.

Also echoing that an ACT of 36 is not a guarantee of admission to UCLA/UCB. Test scores are only one piece of your whole application (although an important one), but your grades, HS course rigor, EC’s and essays will all contribute to your chances.

What UCLA and UCB consider important in the application review process:

• Berkeley

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Extracurricular activities, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, State residency
  • Note: Thorough review of academic performance; likely contribution to intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus; diversity in personal background and experience; demonstrated qualities in leadership, motivation, concern for others and community; non-academic achievement in the performing arts, athletics or employment; demonstrated interest in major.
  • LOR's by invitation only as of 2017
  • Los Angeles
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence

•   Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed.

@NCalRent What I meant by the guaranteed admission is that based on Naviance Scattergrams for my school, every student with around or slightly below my stats(36 ACT + 4.5ish UC gpa) has gotten in. Sorry for the late response

With a 4.5 and a 34 ACT, you are a competitive applicant for all the UCs. I would caution that a UC GPA above 4.4 is unusual. For most people, the 8 semester bonus cap limits them to 4.40 or lower. 5 a-g classes with As, 2 of which are AP each semester = 4.40. 6 classes, straight As and 2 APs gives a 4.33. With fewer than 5 a-g classes, you won’t have a competitive rigor.

Take another stab at it with this:
https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/