I know the UC’s require you to send all scores, but does this include the act without writing?

After taking the act with writing twice, I took the act without writing in October. Do I need to send this score? I know that UC’s only accept the act with writing, but will they still require me to send this score because they have an all scores sent policy?

@BelisariusMagni . . . so in other words, you’re wondering if you can send a writing score from a different sitting, despite the fact that UC requires an ACT score from one sitting?

I would say that you can mix and match writing scores with one set of composite and component scores. I believe that UC just wants you to take the written test, irrespective of its score and regardless of whether it was attached to the other parts.

UC’s will not consider the ACT score without writing so not worth sending.

UC’s recommend you send all scores for the SAT with Essay or ACT with writing. You are not required to send all Scores and you will not be penalized.

The UC’s will take the highest score from a single sitting being either SAT with essay or ACT with writing.

That clears up a lot of my questions. Thank you!

@gumbymom . . . I disagree.

If OP’s October score was the best – which I’m thinking he’s intimating – then he should record the score, especially if it were materially higher. I agree that this person probably should have taken the written test in that sitting, but I think that UC will see that said person made the effort the previous two times. The written scores are not really important, the UC just wants to see the effort. OP made the effort the first two times; I believe this is sufficient.

And I believe that full disclosure of all scores is the way instead of strategizing whether to send scores or not.

I did marginally better on the October act than the other times I took it (my score went up on one of the sections but my composite remained unchanged). I was wondering more along the lines of what the UC policy about sending all scores if one of the scores does not have the writing section, which they require.

@firmament2x: We can agree to disagree since I have seen individual posters email UC admissions and the answer is always that they will only consider the highest ACT with writing or SAT with essay from a single sitting. Since sending an ACT requires a separate cost for each test date, not worth sending if the score will not be considered.

@gumbymom . . . You are correct on both counts.

@BelisariusMagni , you have to send one of the first two scores, along with its essay score, even though the essay isn’t factored into the composite score. The language in Q&A is also consistent with this:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/exam-requirement/

. . . even if it didn’t appear that way to me.

Even a one point improvement in your October test is material, but it cannot be used.