Does any one know the bank used by the accts receiveable dept of the university?

We need to place a stop payment on a check, but all the university offices are closed and we don’t know what bank the university uses to when they issue checks to students.

If anyone knows or can look at a student’s check, we would really appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Are you trying to stop payment on a check issued by the University? Only the issuer (University) can stop payment.

Did the University issue the check for a plus loan refund to the student instead of the parent and you’re trying to stop the student from cashing the check? Unless they made a mistake and you indicated on the promissory note of the plus loan that you wanted it refunded to you (I remember the choice of student or parent somewhere), I don’t think you have any recourse.

No. My ds had his check in his wallet. His sister is moving into an apartment and he is helping her. Now the check with his id are missing. We figured we couldn’t put a stop payment officially, but we were hoping we could call local branches and altert them to what happened. His own bank’s branches have flagged his acct to not cash the check and his bank card has been canceled. The only other bank we can see cashing the check before Monday would be a branch of the issuing bank.

If he hadnt lost it with his Id I wouldn’t be so concerned. Of course we will go through all of this and then find the wallet.

My son’s refund from UA was issued from Compass Bank , Tuscaloosa .

@seccat Thank you so much. That was the information we needed. I really appreciate you taking the time to post.

That’s interesting that your son’s refund was drawn on Compass Bank as UA uses Bank of America for almost every banking service (BOA has a department specializing in financial services for colleges and universities) and I seem to recall my UA paycheck being drawn on a BOA account.

My son’s checks were for refunds of unused scholarship money. He received one in August and another in December and both checks were drawn on Compass Bank. It looks like UA handles scholarship overages differently . Since my son had just received his scholarship refund check yesterday, I assumed that’s what Mom2aphysicsgeek was referring to also. My son has his paycheck from UA direct deposited but I just checked his account and it was drawn on BOA.

Yes, our scenario is what @seccat described. I spoke with a very nice branch manager who alerted their treasurer’s office (who they are supposed to call if anyone without an act tries to cash a check drawn from their bank.)

Ds also got a new driver’s license right away. So if anyone types in his old DL # it will be invalid. We did everything we could think of. Now all we can do is wait until Monday morning.

So sorry about the missing wallet. I hope all works out for you.