Does Choice of Major Influence Acceptance Decision?

I’ve heard conflicting reports. Some people say it’s not a consideration, some say it is. The UWM web site says this: “If we are unable to offer you admission to your preferred major/field of study, your alternate choice will be considered in our application review to assess interest and preparation.” Seems to me that means your major is considered. Anyone know for sure? And if so, which majors/schools are better bets for admission if its a slight reach for you? Thanks!

If your first choice major is in a limited enrollment program, like engineering or business, then you must have a second choice major that is not in a limited enrollment program. So, if say you want an engineering major, and you do not meet the CoE’s requirements to be directly admitted you may gain admittance to the College of Ag & Life Science if your second choice major was biological systems engineering. Or if your first choice major is finance and your second choice is economics, you may not be offered direct admission into the business school, but could be admitted to Letters & Science as an econ major.

If UW is a reach for you, I guess it depends on what you’re interested in. Certain majors in CALS or SoHE might be options to look at. Letters & Science is the largest school on campus, so obviously they take the most students, so you could look to see if there are majors there you are interested in. There are some limited enrollment programs that you cannot apply to until you reach a certain academic level only campus or have completed certain courses: Nursing, Education, Journalism to name a few.

Thanks so much for the reply! Very helpful. I appreciate it.

‘UWM’ is UW Milwaukee.

Sorry. Meant Madison.