Does the amount of black students I'm your school phase you?

<p>Like wentworth institute Of technology in Boston, Massachusetts is on my list of school for technology, and they only have like 6% black students. </p>

<p>Would you be phased by this or not let it bother you?</p>

<p>Don’t let it bother you. Look out for an environment that has low numbers like that because it isn’t welcoming but if you are pursuing a technology or engineering field, low numbers like that are normal. Wherever you work will probably have an even lower percentage.</p>

<p>If you can only get along socially in groups with a high percentage of Blacks, you will be handicapping yourself later down the road. On the other hand, you may not have anyone that can tell you where to get your hair done and stuff like that. So, you may be on your own for some things that others do socially.</p>

<p>I know this is just me, but I’ve lived in an area of the US with not so many black people my whole life. I’m so used to being the only black person that it truly doesn’t matter to me. In fact, I don’t even notice it. I wouldn’t let that dissuade you from applying at all.</p>

<p>Yeah it’s on Boston. I don’t think much people know how to do natural hair.</p>

<p>Please don’t let the amount of black students bother you when you go to a school. You are there to learn a new skill or trade that will help you in the future, and you are also there to make new friends and experience living on your own in a whole different place (depending on where you go). I go to Purdue and there aren’t that many blacks on campus as compared to everyone else, but I am still doing fine. What you should be concerned about is what you are majoring in and how you will excel in your studies so you will have great job opportunities in the future. </p>

<p>P.S. I’m black</p>

<p>This basically depends on what your social circle was when growing up. If it was very diverse, a school with a dearth of black students (whatever number you consider that to be) could be more uncomfortable. OTOH, if you were in HS and were frequently “the only one” in your classes, having few other black students around may be no big deal – unless you are specifically looking for an environment that is more diverse, and that’s fine too. </p>

<p>Also consider absolute numbers as well as percentages if a black presence is of concern to you. I don’t know how big Wentworth is, but 6% of, say, 1000 kids is only 60, or 15 per class, but 6% at a school with 20,000 kids is 300 black students per year. There is a difference.</p>

<p>The importance of the number of black students varies per person … for people like myself, our academic environment plays into our academic success. So if I’m not happy and extremely disappointed with the pool of students I have to interact with everyday, I’m going to hate the school and not be at my best. But if I’m around students who I can relate to and look forward to being around … it makes my academic experience that much more enjoyable and I flourish.</p>

<p>It’s not always just about the books, YOU HAVE TO BE COMFORTABLE. And some schools with little to no diversity can make you uncomfortable and jaded when you don’t have to be … there’s thousands of schools to choose from and don’t be afraid to transfer (most college students I know transferred at one point).</p>

<p>Since my HS is only 2% black (it used to be 1% until about 5 black students came in this years frosh class), I don’t think it would matter all that much to me. I’m the only black girl in APs this year, and I’m used to it. //shrugs</p>