Does the UMN have a vibrant/fun campus

Hello.

I’ve been recommended the University of Minnesota a lot in my college search. However. I’ve heard that there is a large percentage of commuters. Does anyone know what it is like at the UMN? Does it still have a vibrant campus with a lot going on?

Thanks.

I can’t answer - although I assume the answer is - yes, it’s vibrant - based on location alone.

I will say though - according to the school - 90% of first years live on campus. And over 30% are from OOS - which is a high # - at least according to College Factual.

So while there might be commuters, I’m sure there’s a huge residential contingent.

3 Likes

Yes, I would say it is fun and vibrant. The overwhelming majority live on campus their first year. After that, many rent housing in the nearby student neighborhoods of Dinkytown and Stadium Village. It has D1 sports and frats/sororities if you are into that, but it does not dominate campus. Lots of fun nerdy interest groups. The Twin Cities have lots to do (theater, museums, restaurants, sports, outdoor activities, music.)

Outstanding programs include biological sciences, math, engineering, theater bfa, business, various agriculture majors (among others.)

We visited and it was a top choice for DS23. I’d say the campus is fun and vibrant. While there may be a lot of commuters (there is a huge student population, there is a lot of everything), there are still over 7,000 kids living on campus. And it doesn’t seem to clear out on weekends like many smaller state colleges do because there is a lot to do on campus and in the surrounding area.

If you can, go visit. You will be amazed at how much there is to do on campus. Probably more than any other school we visited.

1 Like