Does Tx A&M have a good pre-med program?

<p>Hello, well I'm soon to be a senior at my high school in Tx, planning to study pre-med and major in something I have not decided yet. And I'm considering about applying to A&M, but I'm not sure about it's reputation on pre-med programs or any affiliation to a medical school. I feel so ignorant about this, since the university it's not far away from home (not THAT far anyway) and I have no idea on its stand on medical careers. </p>

<p>Thank you in advance :)</p>

<p>Pre-med is just a set of courses that are offered at most every college in the USA. </p>

<p>What matters for pre-med is that you have a high GPA (especially in those pre-med courses) and score well on the MCAT.</p>

<p>Thank you for the fast response! :slight_smile: Yes, I’ve been researching in some forums (especially this one) about pre-med programs and the curriculum and medical school. And I know that what’s most important is the GPA and MCAT. But I guess what I meant was how good are the professors there… the classes are they challenging… or is it affiliated to any med school or hospital or somewhere that might make it easier to do volunteering and all. </p>

<p>ps. of course I’m not saying I’ll choose a university for it’s reputation ;)</p>

<p>They have a Biomedical Science major, which is what I’ll be studying this fall. The curriculum has all of the requirements for Pre-med! Just a suggestion =D</p>

<p>The pre-med program here is ok…just not that great, though. A&M has like no research opportunities compared to other universities, which is VITAL along with your ECs/Volunteering/Shadowing/ activities. So take caution, because what if you don’t get a good enough GPA or MCAT, you’ll need some research/ECs to make up for them.
I’m planning to be majoring in Biology this fall. If I don’t like A&M, I will transfer, no question.</p>

<p>there are many summer scholar programs/internships (especially for minority students) offered throughout the united states as well :D</p>

<p>AVOID the Biomedical Science (BIMS) major if you want to go to med school. Otherwise you will be stressed out constantly over grades working towards a degree you can’t really do anything with unless you go to med school. I have met too many BIMS majors who regretted it.</p>

<p>I want to say I had a friend who majored in philosophy with a pre-med track.</p>

<p>^ There’s always Pharmacy or Dental school. But if you can’t even get into those…then you’re screwed. xD</p>

<p>philosophy major isnt easy…</p>

<p>but yeah…you need to major in something that you love and can fall back on if you dont get into med school…</p>

<p>not everyone gets in</p>

<p>CODE:
"It is a widespread misconception that it is necessary to major in a science, especially biology, to be a premedical student. It is also a widespread misconception that medical schools prefer science majors. The truth is that any academic major is suitable and acceptable for medical school.</p>

<p>Many UC (University of California) campuses undergraduates planning to apply to medical school should exercise the grade option in all of their courses. A competitive GPA (3.7), strong test scores (10 or better), and substantial health-related experience (two years) are standard for entry. "</p>

<p>Even though TAMu is not UCs, it probably use the same principal of accepting applicants. That is why sometime you will see prospective students gain the system by majoring in non-killer major (beside engineering and science) to boost their GPA. However having say that, there is no guarantee and you may get stuck with a BS unable to find a job. I am sure admission know such practice too well.</p>

<p>I myself is a Clinical-Laboratory-Scientist. If you are really interested in Bio-Clinical setting. Try nursing, Med-Tech, physical-therapy etc. Not only this field give you an in sight / advantage by being in the clinical field, you also have an excellent career to fall back. The pay is not bad and usually 6 figure >10 ys experience in CA (not sure about pay scale in Texas or other states). In clinical (medical center, hospitals etc) lay off usually is not an issue and the job is quite recession resistance. Please note: all 3 fields mentions require internship plus licensing so you must pass the BOARD to practice in this field. Also these major are not easy, often you will be taking classes together with “pre-med” and “medical” students especially in the upper division classes. So the curve is STEEP.</p>

<p>A few of my past co-worker apply to med-school after practicing a few years. By then they shown their truth compassion toward medicine and the well being of the patient. They receive high recommendation from our Pathologists and Laboratory Directors even-though their GPA is not up to PAR. Unlike many now going into the field mostly due to prestige and money. I have seen far too many in my career and I often wonder why they even bother and often they seem to forget the oath we took “DO NO HARM”.</p>

<p>A small comments from a current “Allied Health Care Professional”</p>

<p>Pre-med? A&M has the best opportunity, in my opinion, for future doctors! </p>

<p>Search online-- Partnership for Primary Care Program Texas A&M
*No MCAT
*Garenteed admission into med school
*No major requirements</p>

<p>^ Never even heard of that. That program is like a BA/MD or BS/MD program, though. Good luck as those are ridiculous to get into (typically 2250+/top 1% for those programs), and they only take 15 students anyways, so that sucks.</p>

<p>Xcellerator, as a Biology major did you like Texas A&M? I am going to college to be a Biology major and have considered applying and going to Texas A&M, but would like to know if it’s a good school for the major because I would have a lot of money invested in going to Texas and would not be able to transfer if it was not a good school for my major. In layman’s terms, I would have to buck up and stay.</p>

<p>A&M was alright for me. I liked some things and disliked a lot of things. It depends on what you’re going to do with your major. I planned on going to medical/pharmacy school and after a year here, I found out it was a bad choice. If you’re planning on doing grad school with a Biology degree, there are not many opportunities here at A&M. Also, a couple friends of mine went to the Biology advisors (I never did), and basically they said that the advisors are clueless/careless about helping you on what classes to take…</p>

<p>You should really visit A&M to get a feel for the campus too. This campus is really different, and you would need to decide if it would be right for you too.</p>

<p>So I’ve been wondering, what would be a good major if you want to get into medical school. I’ve heard that biology/science majors are not necessary and sometimes not even preferred by medical school from a TON of people. Which makes me wonder, what is it that they are looking for? Do they want a 3.7+ GPA on a business major? math, english, history, art? Also, which one, in your experience, what is an enjoyable major that you don’t have to kill yourself to obtain a decent GPA in? If anyone could answer this, I would really appreciate it! Thank you.</p>

<p>I was in the same position as you and I am still thinking of possibly changing my major of Biology to something different. I’m just worried that if I don’t get into med school, I’ll be stuck with a Bio degree and won’t have many work options unless I get a masters.
Here’s what I think- you should do something that you like. Don’t make yourself miserable studying something you don’t like for the sake to please med school. Do something you’ll love, study hard and get an awesome MCAT. Get involved in extra curriculars and just find ways to make yourself stand out from the rest of the applicants. </p>

<p>Many people are out to please the the people in med schools by choosing majors that they think they want to see. Go ahead and get a feel for the classes and find something that you like. A&M has many degrees to offer so there’s bound to be something. Your grades will reflect your passion for what you’re doing…</p>