Does undergrad school matter? (for future work, grad school, etc)

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I would like to ask my question in a more broad/general way haha. I am wondering if the undergrad I go to matter? Will future employers at hospitals care/take into account where I went to get my BSN (ie. state school vs top tier school)? Will the location of the school help with networking/getting a job after graduation?

I am also planning to attend grad school for a masters in nursing after graduation. Will my undergrad school matter? Is it better to go to a better/more prestigious grad school than undergrad?

Thank you!!

“State school vs top tier school” is a false statement as many “top tier” nursing schools are also state schools.

My D has only just completed her first semester at SDSU’s BSN program. So we don’t have too much experience to offer - other than the admissions process is rigorous. Last year the program received 5700+ applications and has a target enrollment of 120. So far there’s nothing to indicate this isn’t a top notch BSN program filled with “best of the best” high stats students. Abundant nearby hospitals for clinicals (and future employment) and ample study abroad opportunities at SDSU.

My spouse is an RN at UCSD and can vouch that they hire BSNs from all over regardless of school. Consider saving on undergrad tuition if you can for future expenses such as graduate school.

Most RNs don’t dig in seriously into grad programs until after they have work experience. Therefore, your work references will probably matter more than the name on your undergrad degree.

What kind of grad school? You want to be a nurse practitioner? That’s really just more professional training, so no. You want a PhD in a field of nursing research? You want to make sure you’re prepared for that as well as passing the NCLEX

I have the same general question. My D20 is looking into nursing and she really like Vanderbilt. Unfortunately Vanderbilt does not offer a BSN so she would be doing an undergrad in something and then a Masters in Nursing. I really want to convince her that a lesser school that offers a true Undergrad in Nursing (BSN) is a better option without having to pull the money card

@WasIDremin There are a lot of “well known” universities that offer the full college experience AND have direct BSN programs. For a student with some flexibility in the budget there is really a lot of choice. Also often BSN programs are very small even when they are part of “huge” flagships. For example our flagship’s direct program is less than 100 students. Students that are looking for smaller schools should have that in mind. Lots depend on budget (obviously) and students stats but I think everyone can find a college for BSN that ticks most of the boxes they are looking.

@WasIDremin You would probably not be looking at an MSN after a bachelor’s in another field. They do exist, but are much longer as the student first must complete the nursing curriculum and sit for the NCLEX before he or she begins the master’s curriculum. Also consider that an MSN is a more like a professional degree…most likely no TA/RA positions or fellowships. You’re looking at full pay AFTER completing a bachelors, all to do work one can train for at community college.

Most likely, after a 4 year degree in a related field, you’re looking at an accelerated BSN, which a VERY intense 15-18 month program specifically designed for students with degrees in other fields, and because it’s a second bachelor’s, most likely full pay. I don’t know why anyone who hasn’t started college yet and wants to be a nurse would plan for either of these two routes. Too long, too expensive for someone who thinks she knows right now that she wants to pursue nursing.

I’d have no problem pulling out the money card on this one. Or the time card.