Dorms

<p>Ok so I've read the other threads on here, but I have a different question. I obviously want to have a good social experience but like the lakeshore atmosphere is there a form in lakeshore that parties a lot similar to southeast. I'm trying to decide where o stay but cant</p>

<p>Honestly, the dorm doesn’t particularly matter. Of course, Southeast has more of a party atmosphere but don’t underestimate Lakeshore. Besides, you are not guaranteed your top dorm choices. It is NOT unheard of to get your bottom choices in terms of dorms. All of that being said, try picking the dorms in Lakeshore that are more populated and mostly freshman, as you’ll have better chances of finding the party-goers. </p>

<p>Don’t pick your dorm solely on finding parties, though, because there are so many other factors to consider: costs, location (this might be really important to you, so look at a campus map!), dining facilities inside the building, learning communities, etc. </p>

<p>Wherever you end up living (even if you don’t get your top choices), you will find the atmosphere you want. Meet people in the other neighborhood, in classes, clubs, etc. </p>

<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>Are you in state or out of state? My dad went to Madison and was out of state and said MOST of the time the out of state kids stay in out of state dorms that aren’t funded by the university. BUT from what he says those are some of the best dorms considering they’re right by state street and where all the action is at night! </p>

<p>If your in state you might have a better chance of getting your top choice but if not I promise you any dorm will be social for you! :)</p>

<p>Parent of a current UW student here – just responding to above post suggesting that OOS don’t live in UW dorms – it may have been true before there was a building boom on campus, but not true in my son’s experience. With Dejope, Ogg and Smith, many many many OOS students live on campus. In Sellery, his freshman year friends were from east and west coasts, Illinois, MN as well as WI (we are also OOS). Yes, there are some freshman who live in Lucky (private “luxury” non UW building), and elsewhere, but many many many OOS freshman are in the UW dorms.</p>

<p>Having gone through housing assignment, focus on neighborhood first, then dorm order. As my kid wanted Sellery or Witte – that is 2000 spots roughly so he had a pretty good chance of getting one or the other. But the Lakeshore dorms just don’t house as many students so a student is more likely to wind up further down their own preference list.</p>

<p>As a parent – I thought Chadbourne with its residential learning community was a great option – southeast but closer to academic buildings (great location) and really nice renovation. My son wouldn’t consider it, wanted party atmosphere of Sellery/Witte. </p>

<p>Many OOS students mingle with the masses. You chose UW, why not choose to be with the students you will be with in classes for housing?</p>

<p>Chad is different than SE or Lakeshore- in a way onto itself. Never my style even though friends lived in Barnard I chose elsewhere and walked back and forth to visit. Likewise Liz is a bit separate location wise. Definitely chose which area you want, then list your preference within that area. All dorms are maintained to the same standard so you don’t need to worry that the oldest buildings are decrepit. You need to decide which atmosphere appeals to you most, none of us can tell you that. There are many different architectural choices. Look at the Res Halls info and consider if you want to be closest to the snack or dining areas, other features. You can eat anywhere so no need to consider that relative to potential classes for lunch/dinner…</p>