Double Associate degree

Does it hurt/help to have two associate degrees while applying to top-tier Schools as a transfer like Ivies or Public Ivies?
I have an AS in Business Administration and I am thinking of going back to my CC to get a second associate in Public and Nonprofit Administration. I would like to transfer to selective-year colleges like Yale or Stanford as a Global Affairs major. My Yale interviewer told me I have mostly business classes & I applied as a Global Affairs major. I ended up getting rejected.

Be mindful of Yale’s 18-credit limit.

Is suspect your high school GPA, college GPA and SAT/ACT test results will have a bigger impact than the number of associate degrees, if any. And even if all those are near perfect, there is still a 95% likelihood for everyone to be rejected.

So it might not be wise to try to “strategize” your way into colleges for which there are no winning strategies (short of convincing Jeff Bezos to become your adopted parent): admission for qualified candidates might as well be lottery based.

1 Like

Two associates degrees just indirectly tells the universities that you were not efficient with your time.
If you decide to try for a second associates degree, to target those universities, you may be wasting a lot of time. Take a couple of course in Global Affairs, to gain experience and to have those under your belt.

Your previous posts have indicated a penchant for Ivies only. Why? The 8 ivies are vastly different and it’s a “Sports Conference”. (Hint: “Sports”, they love strong athletes)
Those schools are extremely tough admits. I know that Stanford looks for non-traditional students for transfer (athletes, military vets, environmentalists, with significant credentials, etc.) and they tend to offer just a handful of transfer admissions (<5).

Hi guys,
I’m holding an associate degree in Business Administration and I am thinking of going back to my CC to spend a year there to take Advanced English and Math classes to be a competitive transfer student to the t Schools. Although I return to my CC as a non-degree-seeking student, it will cost me per credit $285 whereas as a second-degree matriculated student I will be charged $2400 a semester and I can take up to 21 credits per semester at $2400 tuition.
My strategy is to go in as a second-degree student and just complete two semesters and apply to selective four-year colleges.
Will it affect me negatively?

Thank you!

1 Like

I do not know what you mean by t schools, but this strategy of returning to community college after having received an associates degree is a bad idea. It is unlikely to lead to acceptance to a highly selective school. Go to the 4 year public state college that you can transfer to, and finish your BA there.

5 Likes

No clue. If you are years out and want to get back into the academic swing of thing (a CC may be a gentle entry to re engage you), perhaps it’s ok.

But if it’s within 5 years, I’d apply direct to schools where:

1. You have a great chance of admission (I know you want top so you can try but you need the safeties)….and that are affordable.

2. So that you don’t waste credits - what good will another cc year do you ? I suppose you can ask each school this question…but likely very little.

There are other very reputable schools…I know MTSU (regional large and respected state school) by me as an example … that will give you life/intern credit if you’ve worked many years.

Going back to try and entice top schools toward you has a lot of risk - risk in wasted money, credits and maybe from their POV the ability to personally strategy efficiently and effectively…since they’d see the waste.

Good luck

You wrote these in April 2022. What happened? Did you decide not to take either of these transfer offers?

Hello,I got into Columbia as a community college transfer and will be studying financial economics. Even after getting some scholarships, I will still have to pay around $120k intuition to get my bachelor’s degree. Is it worth taking the loan to attend Columbia?

And this…

I am a domestic student and got i Baruch College as a finance major. However, I am not sure whether I will do good in finance or not because my math skill is not that good.

I aspire to get a high-paying job at a Fortune 500 company or in investment banking. But most importantly, I want to maintain a high GPA so that I can get into top graduate schools for my master’s.

And then in May 2022 you posted this:

I am thinking of applying to the College of Human Ecology as a junior transfer. I graduated from the Borough of Manhattan Community College in 2021 and applied to both Cornell’s ILR & Hotel school for spring ‘22 & fall ‘22 and was rejected from both. Now I have decided to attend Baruch College for a semester and apply to the HumEco school for spring ‘23. What are my chances of getting in?

Did you or are you attending Baruch? If so…why are you considering transferring anywhere!

1 Like

It is not the associates degree per see, but whether your course work at the community college covers the expected major preparation and general education courses that your target college(s) like to see from transfer students.

Some state universities may designate a certain type of associates degree from in-state community colleges as fulfillment for those expected or required transfer prep courses; in these cases, the associates degree functions as a convenient checklist of needed courses.

But an associates degree (or two) in business fields is not likely to include the major preparation course work for most non-business majors at four year colleges you may try to transfer to.

1 Like

Also from another thread:

So either multiple people are using this account or there’s deception going on or there’s a logical explanation that eludes me. The OP will need to PM me an explanation before I reopen.