Double Major

<p>How hard is a double major in Computer Science and Finance/Accounting? Is it doable? Do you know anyone currently that is doing it?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t bother. There is almost no overlap between these majors, so expect a heavy courseload that will take you 5+ years to graduate. A better option would be to major in Finance/Accounting and get a CS minor, or major in CS and minor in Business.</p>

<p>I was thinking about Finance/Accounting + CS minor actually. Do you know if that will take 5+ years to graduate or should I be able to do that in 4 years? Also to minor in CS, will I have to be accepted to the E-School since CS is in E-School right?</p>

<p>It’s perfectly doable in 4 years. The CS courses will count as your free elective credits, so you probably won’t need to request a course overload. Also, the CS courses needed for the minor are open to everybody, not just engineering majors. This means you won’t need to buy a tablet or take the dreaded freshman engineering course.</p>

<p>that sounds great. Is a regular course load 4 classes per semester?</p>

<p>Haha, no. I mean, it depends on the class but most are 3 credits and some 4 (if I remember right) and an average load is 16 credits for engineering. Many people take 18.</p>

<p>what about the average courseload for business students?</p>

<p>18 credits seems like so much. I think I would much rather take 12-15 credits during each semester and then take more classes in the summer. 6 classes seems really stressful</p>

<p>I couldn’t find a link to the accounting major course checklist. But, I recall the average courseload will be around 16 hrs. Freshman 5 classes + 1 lab. Soph-Senior 5 or 6 classes. So some semesters 15 hrs and some 18 hrs in order to graduate on time. </p>

<p>You will have to pick either Accounting or Finance for your major. I’d suggest Accounting with the Information Systems option. I think that major would work very well with a CS minor and probably is the easiest in terms of number of additional courses to obtain the minor.</p>

<p>While you can take classes during the summer you may want to keep that time free to take on interships especially after your 2nd and 3rd years. 12 hrs would be considered a light load. If you are already worried about stress I think you need to look for stress reducing activities in your life, e.g., exercise, yoga etc. Actually working in accounting/finance/information systems etc is going to require long hours and involve significant stress to be successful.</p>

<p>I’d suggest the CS major with the finance minor. What has you interested in both topics?</p>

<p>I think I have decided to try to do Finance & Accounting double major in Pamplin. After visiting, I looked at the 4-year plans they gave us and the first two years are the exact same classes. Also, I will be going in with quite a bit of AP Credit which should help. I might decide to add on the minor in CS later if I do really well in the AP exams coming up in May so there would be even more places freed up in my schedule.</p>

<p>@hokagesama I don’t really want to major in CS because not really an engineering person. I initially thought about the CS minor because I thought it would be a good thing to learn about since CS is a big field nowadays within any job. Also, Pamplin gave me a $7,500 merit scholarship and I must major in something there to receive all of it.</p>

<p>Accounting and Finance may have the same requirements for the first 2 years + probably intermediate accounting in year 3. When the paths diverge is where you will have to double up on classes to graduate in 4 years. Moving classes up to take advantage of space from your AP credit isn’t always possible given prerequisites. But, if you have the 4 year plans and access to the course catelog you can map out your schedule and see how it works. Good luck.</p>

<p>and I can always take summer classes right?</p>

<p>Technically, yes, you can take courses during the summer. In general, that does not necessarily mean the classes you need will be offered both summer sessions (or during the summer at all). I’m not trying to scare you or anything, but plan on taking courses during the fall/spring. From the looks of the timetable, accounting has a decent number of summer offerings-- finance not so much. Winter break of every year is useful in figuring out your schedule for the upcoming spring/summer because all of the timetables should be out by then.</p>

<p>Very ironic you created this thread. Currently, I am a rising sophomore pursuing and Computer Science and Mathematics double major with a minor is Economics at Virginia Tech. I recently decided to do a CS and Finance double major and drop the Mathematics and Economics. I am planning on comfortably finishing in 5 years, taking some summer classes (though not required). </p>

<p>As for your situation, if you think regularly taking 18 credits seems to stressful, I wouldn’t pursue the double major because that is what is going to be required to complete the two majors. </p>

<p>That being said, I think you should try taking 18-19 credits a semester – I think you will find it less stressful than you think. I took 18 credits both semesters my freshman year (all engineering courses: Calculus 1205 and 1206, ENGE, Intro to CS, Chemistry, ect.) and made deans list of distinction both semesters. I am not bragging, but I am giving you confidence with solid evidence that 18 credits can definitely be done and very much succeed while doing so. I think the reward will be great.</p>

<p>yeah for cs, u gotta do the math requirements + CS classes
and for accoutning/finance, u have to do the business requirements too (which is like 2 semesters of econ, finance, accounting, buisness information)</p>