Dual enrollment?

<p>i am registering for my high school senior year classes and wanted to make sure that ua accepts dual enrollment credits? i couldnt find information on the website and i emailed them about it last week but never received a response…</p>

<p>Yes…Bama accepts DE.</p>

<p>Which classes will you be taking?</p>

<p>Hopefully someone will post the link where you can check those credits.</p>

<p>i would be taking us history and statistics. and i’m deciding between DE english and AP lit</p>

<p>this is where you find the transfer tables to determine which courses have been “pre” approved by UA. I have been told that they will consider other courses that are not on this list on a course by course basis. </p>

<p><a href=“https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype[/url]”>https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Did you take AP English Comp? If so, how did you do on the exam?</p>

<p>Is the DE English for 2 semesters? Would it cover 2 English classes?</p>

<p>I want to add a note to DE students…</p>

<p>If you are pre-med, then take your DE classes VERY seriously. The grades that you get in these classes WILL get included in your Cum GPA …and your BCMP GPA ( if they are bio, chem, Math, physics) classes.</p>

<p>I am taking AP comp this year, so i kinda want to wait and see how i do on the exam to decide whether or not to take AP lit. </p>

<p>yes, the DE english would be for two semesters</p>

<p>I want to major in nursing, so if I took DE statistics, the grade i make will count towards my science gpa?</p>

<p>Stat doesn’t count as a science and as a nursing major you need to be VERY CAREFUL about both your course choices and your GPA. Refer to the required courses for nursing majors on the website. There are no substitutes for the science classes listed there and the science GPA counts twice for promotion to upper division. If in doubt, contact a nursing advisor. Check out the requirements on degree works if you have been accepted or see the course of study on the Nursing website. Also, know your HS policy on dual enrollment and how those grades calculate into your GPA if class rank is important to you. You might also consider Early College at the UA for some classes.</p>

<p>I looked up the course equivalencies and the de stats class i would take isn’t the same as the one i need to take for nursing, so i dont want to risk taking it and not getting credit for it. </p>

<p>thanks for the help!</p>

<p>I don’t think nursing does the “science GPA” thing like SOMs do, but maybe I’m wrong.</p>

<p>I imagine that they do look at Bio and chem grades closely…</p>

<p>For Bama nursing, a high GPA is always a good thing!!!</p>

<p>Stats (I think ) will either count as a math or computer science course…depending on what it is.</p>

<p>Good luck Bridget. Your GPA will be crucial for promotion into upper division. Nursing calculates your GPA using your required science classes twice (CH104 inorganic chemistry, CH105 organic chemistry, BSC215 anatomy 1, BSC216 anatomy 2, and BSC242 microbiology). Your other REQUIRED courses count once. For this reason, you cannot take an easy class to bump your GPA for promotion to upper division. To obtain preference you must have 32 of the required lower division courses completed at the UA. DE and AP will be considered as being a part of the UA courses for preference although AP are just calculated as pass/fail and do not contribute to the GPA. As I mentioned earlier, you may not substitute science courses and since the science classes count twice in your GPA you take a substantial hit if you don’t do well in a science class. Upper division takes 96 students twice a year (summer and fall). Summer promotion is the most competitive as far as GPA. Always check with a nursing advisor if you have questions…better to ask first than to learn from a mistake. The UA has a 98 percent first time pass rate on the NCLEX so you are making a good choice in attending the UA. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>thanks for all the help! I think i’m just gonna do the dual enrollment history because I know i’ll get an A. the stats is online so i don’t know how well i would do with an online class, and i dont want to get a B and it hurt my nursing school chances in the future.</p>

<p>bamagirls you sound like an expert so i’ll definitely ask you if i ever have any nursing questions!</p>

<p>:)…thanks for the vote of confidence Bridget! I’m not an expert in the sense of being a nursing advisor, but I’ll be happy to share what I do know from one of my D’s experiences as a nursing major or point you to some of the real experts…nursing advisors. They do an awesome job. I’m glad you checked on the stat class before taking it. Best wishes as you complete your senior year and move on to the UA in the fall. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Your GPA will be crucial for promotion into upper division. Nursing calculates your GPA using your required science classes twice (CH104 inorganic chemistry, CH105 organic chemistry, BSC215 anatomy 1, BSC216 anatomy 2, and BSC242 microbiology). Your other REQUIRED courses count once. For this reason, you cannot take an easy class to bump your GPA for promotion to upper division. To obtain preference you must have 32 of the required lower division courses completed at the UA.</p>

<p>=========</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know how Bama calculated GPA for nursing. Very interesting that they count the sciences twice.</p>

<p>I hope my comment was clear that counting the sciences twice is for calculating GPA for promotion to upper division. It is part of a formula which determines the top 96 lower division students strictly for promotion to upper division and has nothing to do with the cumulative overall GPA calculations as calculated by the UA.</p>

<p>Bama Girls, DD has DE Anatomy. She received a B both semesters. At her high school it counts as a 4.0 out of a 5.0. Does UA count it a B in DE classes as a 4.0 or 3.0? Wondering if she will need to retake it.</p>

<p>pinkturtles,</p>

<p>I would guess yes that she should retake it, but I am really not qualified to say. I would encourage you to speak with one of the nursing advisors. They are always very happy to answer questions. Best of luck to your D.</p>

<p>Pink…</p>

<p>Bama will count it as a B. And that’s a 3.0</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t use a 5.0 scale.</p>

<p>^^^^^^Then that is a very clear yes Pinkturtles. She should retake the Anatomy. I would also try to talk with an advisor BEFORE sending the transcript to the UA. The B’s will hurt considerably. Be sure to ask the nursing advisor whether you should send the transcript at all. She’ll take inorganic chemistry in the fall and organic chemistry in the spring of her first year.</p>

<p>Thanks guys. It’s only her second B she received in high school. I help her study for her tests and it’s a ton of information. I wonder if she should take it freshman year while it’s still fresh. We did tell her not to worry about getting college credit for her DE and AP classes but that was before we knew we’d be paying out of state tuition.</p>