Duke Class of 2027 Official Thread

Straight up rejected after being deferred. I sent in tons of great updates (hired for a paid internship, Presidential Scholar, new leadership role, additional letter of rec, etc.) so I was expecting at least a waitlist. Wish they would’ve just rejected me back in December instead of making me hang on

2 Likes

Deleted

Son was accepted after being deferred I can’t believe it !!!

Deferred ED- Accepted RD
4.0 UW/ 4.94 W
35 ACT
Commended Scholar
AP Scholar w Distinction
National and state recognition awards
NHS, and other honor societies
Varsity captain
Recommend being clever with your essay

You can reference the article in the Duke Chronicle for details. RD admit rate was 4.8%, overall 6%. 2148/44589 applicants. https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2023/04/duke-university-admissions-regular-decision-college-acceptance-rates-2023-class-of-2027

Can we negotiate aid package?

Accepted. Brutal season from what I saw. Amazing people not getting in.

I was accepted at: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, Chicago
Waitlisted: Brown, Vanderbilt
Rejected: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Dartmouth

Big doubt now if I accept Duke or Columbia - both very very different and great.

1 Like

D was accepted! Test-optional, 4.0 uw

Accepted: Duke, Brown, Vanderbilt (full tuition), UNC Chapel Hill, Swarthmore, Wellesley, Haverford, UMD, Agnes Scott (full ride)

Rejected: Harvard

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships in their acceptance letters? I haven’t seen any information on Duke’s Rubenstein.

2 Likes

DS accepted!
1570 SAT
National Merit Finalist
Very strong EC’s- has worked in CS paid “career” job since he was 14

Financial aid is 0, so was also curious if it’s worth following up with financial aid office. Our in state option would be 1/3 the cost.

3 Likes

DS rejected after ED deferral
3.95uw/4.65w
1550 SAT
15APs
2 sport varsity athlete
Lots of ECs
Seemingly good essays
Legacy (active alum interviewer and consistent donor)

Guess legacy really doesn’t mean all that much to Duke. Disappointing.

This was the decision we were waiting for. Duke was second on S23’s wishlist. He rolled the dice doing EA at his top choice, but was still able to get in. He wants to take a few days to think things through, but I suspect this will be his choice.

Some stats:
Int’l (LatAm), Legacy
1530 SAT
12 APs
4.0 UW, 4.5 W
Two math Olympic medals
NHS, Drama
Captain of the basketball team
Secretary General MUN, several awards
Contributor on a published medical paper

Accepted: UNC OOS, UVA OOS, UCLA OOS, UCSD OOS, NWU, Rice, UC-Berkley

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Duke has so many legacy applicants, so unfortunately that dilutes the impact. And most elite universities have moved towards de-emphasizing legacy over the last few years. Good luck to your son with whichever college he attends!

rejected after an ED deferral, but committed to Brown! wish i could switch the acceptances, but i know there is a reason and i’ll find my place at brown. just hard to let go after duke being a favorite for 4 years.

1 Like

For everyone who was waitlisted, would you guys like to start a thread to discuss?

3 Likes

Hello, just saw this. I mentioned all of the faculty-student programs (FLUNCH, Faculty-in-res, Duke Conversations) and highlighted how I’d love to be connected with faculty. I also mentioned some social innovative programs that they have, and highlighted fit with interdisciplinary work/liberal arts curriculum.

Research wise: Just dug around the internet. Lots of google searches and videos and consulting with a friend who got in Duke ED

1 Like

yes, me!

1 Like

My son was accepted by Duke :smiley::smiley::smiley:… but he was also accepted by Rice. Now he is torn between the two… any feedback on either would be appreciated. TIA :pray:t2:

1 Like

Of course, Duke :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mine accepted to both also (as well as another big contender which gave him a scholarship). Also, I have another child who is a Rice grad. Difficult decision!!
Definitely attend admitted student days at both. What we love about Rice is the residential college system which is truly amazing! They start off in O-week with a support group of student advisors who, in most cases I’ve heard of, genuinely do support each other and act like a little family. My daughter had 3-4 older students who acted as older brothers and sisters to the small group of younger students and met weekly for lunch almost every week for at least the first year if not the first two, and still all stay in touch. They even had the freshman over to their apartments where they cooked for them a few times. The residential colleges have their own shirts, hats, and gear etc. and she was more likely to wear her house gear than Rice gear because they have such pride in their houses! :sweat_smile: Beer bike is an event they plan for all year and is the funnest event ever, check out recent Instagram posts to see. But Rice has many smaller scale events throughout the year as well, I know Esmeralda is one that was like a more formal event. However, if you want a school that turns out to support every football game, Rice is not the one. :sweat_smile: Students are very laid back and if my daughter wore a dress people assumed she had an interview. There’s something they instill in them called “culture of care” where they are genuinely there for each other in every way, at least in our experience, looking out for each other at parties or just checking up on each other.
Great professors, very interested in students well being especially in the smaller seminar classes. An annual bbq at the mansion of the president of the college which is right by campus. And you can’t beat getting to wear shorts sometimes year round except for the occasional cool fronts, or rare freeze, though be prepared for lots of rain and humidity. Also no fraternities, which you don’t need because of the house culture. You are already “in” the day you arrive.
I’m going to be looking at Duke and the other school to see how they compare! Both Duke and the other choice are amazing opportunities, but I want to make sure they are equal to what Rice offers.
Anyone with first-hand experience of Duke and what it’s like to be a student there? Mine is thinking chemistry and taking pre med prerequisites so I’m nervous about potential for competitiveness or if grading is on a curve, because as far as my daughters classes that she took at Rice, they were not on a curve.
When daughter was deciding it was between Rice, NU, and Johns Hopkins. Rice was her last admitted student event and she fell in love. Hopefully our kids will feel something like that while visiting different schools!
(Sorry for so much stuff off topic in this Duke thread!) but would love to get feedback on all the equally great qualities I’m sure Duke possesses!

2 Likes

Looks like only staff can make them :sob:

It’s fine though! Ig we can just talk on here since us waitlisted folks are the only ones who are gonna keep visiting haha. Congrats to everyone who was accepted!!

1 Like