Duke University Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admissions

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Duke University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

I’m an international student, will I be disadvantaged if I don’t submit my ACT/SAT scores?

1 Like

No- they are completely test optional

Probably, unless you have a hook…

1 Like

I’m planning on applying for biomedical engineering and physics as a double major at duke, I don’t really know how I can apply for the physics, please put me through.

if you happen to be a femme-identifying - pratt is trying to fix their gender ratio (30/70 split rn) so engineering might give u a leg-up. however bme is also one of pratt’s strongest/highest-ranked majors so that might cancel any advantage.

physics is small at duke, but it’s a close/tight-knit department. i’m a current duke student who got in for engineering and switched into cs/stats.

2 Likes

11/1 is rapidly approaching … has anyone submitted?
My DS has - looking for Mechanical Engineering, #10 class of 180, weighted 98.28 gpa, 7 APs, ACT 35, relevant work & extracurriculars Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone

1 Like

Just submitted to Trinity. Honestly not expecting anything.
3.6 UW/4.2 W, 7 AP/3 DE, rank na/~100 at small religious school, 35, NMSF, Asian, female. My EC’s and essays are fine, but unimpressive by Duke standards. It hurts to know that my chances would have been higher than zero had I not ruined my freshman year. But I’m grateful for every opportunity I’ve had including the chance to apply early. Almost everyone told me to ED to Emory, but Duke has been my dream for a while and my parents wanted more “prestige” for their buck, so I’m hoping for the best for everyone.

3 Likes

Anyone has received interview so far ?

Yep! I got an email yesterday from someone and we scheduled it for tonight!

2 Likes

How did the interviews go, if you don’t mind me asking? I haven’t received any info on interviews yet.

1 Like

Can you share what questions you got during the interview?

My son was contacted last week for his interview and it will be over Zoom on Monday. I’ll circle back with questions once interview is conducted.

3 Likes

It went really well! My interviewer was local, but we did it over Zoom. He was super nice and very interested in my extracurricular activities. I also wore a Duke sweater to my interview, which I think also showed my interest. Let me know if you want a full rundown of my EC’s and Stats, but we only really focused on ECs!

1 Like

The questions I got were super basic:

• What do you do outside of school/for fun?
  • What major and why?
  • What drew you to Duke/Why Duke?
  • Any Questions?

To be honest, it really was more of a conversation and I just talked about what I did outside of school and my passion for my major! Let me know if you want any more information on what we talked about in detail! Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi! Has anyone gotten their interview scheduling request email yet? My friend got his today, and we’re in the same area but I haven’t received an email. Does that mean Duke doesn’t want to even interview me?

From my understanding, Duke interviews 100% of ED applicants who indicate they want to be interviewed on the application. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much, it may just be that they haven’t sent it out to you yet.

Check your spam folder maybe? I initially missed my email by a couple of days, which was sent on 11/8, because it ended up in my spam folder.

2 Likes

My son also has his interview over zoom. His interviewer was in a different part of the country. She asked him pretty much the same questions and then follow up pertaining to their conversation. He said it was conversational and she answered his questions.

3 Likes

I had mine today