E-learning?

<p>Hi there! I saw a couple references to e-learning on another thread and thought it would be worth a new thread to ask about it, rather than high jacking the CBHP thread. </p>

<p>Can you describe more about what you mean by “e-learning?” Are lectures recorded and watched on video, are textbooks digital, are test or quizzes on computers, homework turned in electronically? Just wondering how they’re using technology in e-learning.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Different classes you have will have their own e-learning tabs. It should be in the bottom right corner of your mybama page.</p>

<p>Thanks KP, but I’m not a student. I’m a parent of a student who has applied for fall 2012. I’m wondering more about how different courses and professors incorporate e-learning into the classroom experience. </p>

<p>Can you tell me what your courses are that use e learning and what it looks like?</p>

<p>I have American Studies 150, Intro Telecommunication (TCF 100) and Motion Picture History/Criticism (TCF 112) on e-learning.</p>

<p>All of them have the syllabus and basic info on there. AMS links to Tegrity, which I think is a recorded lecture thing… but attendance counts, so you can’t skip and watch later. I’ve heard in some classes on some days they don’t go to class and just watch lectures on e-learning. I think that was a friend’s chem section.</p>

<p>TCF 100 puts some stuff like surveys and instructions for extra credit… TCF 112 puts all the outside readings on there.</p>

<p>I’m not sure of the difference between elearning or Blackboard. </p>

<p>I know that my kids turned in homework electronically for" many classes…which is a good thing because then no problems with “oops, I forgot to bring my homework.”</p>

<p>And, since most essays now use Turnitin.com to check for cheating, those are also turned in online. </p>

<p>The only class my kids had online was a technical drawing class.</p>

<p>I’ve heard that the math classes that are considered to be “high school level” are online (like Algebra II).</p>

<p>When my D had a public speaking classes they recorded the speeches and posted them online. Although she’d timed herself, she didn’t realize until watching that she was really talking pretty quickly.</p>

<p>eLearning is a product of Blackboard, as is the Action Card system.</p>

<p>I’ve taken quite a few online courses and it depends on the professor what is done/included on eLearning. Some professors post lectures, homework and quizzes/tests, have discussion boards, and utilize the eLearning email feature. Other professors post the syllabus and maybe a few relevant articles.</p>

<p>Thanks for the answers so far everyone! </p>

<p>Seatide - for the classes where professors post lectures, what happens during class time? Are the lectures in addition to classroom instruction or do they replace it?</p>

<p>If you take quizzes and tests online, do you do that on your own computer wherever you want, or do you go to a computer lab somewhere and take the test?</p>

<p>Other than the lower level math classes, are there many more classes that are taught exclusively online?</p>

<p>I believe that some of the unique foreign language classes are taught online. Not the more traditional classes, like Spanish, French, and German…but some of the ones that are less in demand.</p>

<p>Since Bama does offer “distance learning,” some classes are offered both ways…traditional instruction for those who are on campus…and online for the distance learners or for some campus students who prefer that way.</p>

<p>Some professors will post supplimental lectures and some will post either the in-class lectures or lectures from past classes. Note that attandance may still be required even though the professor posts the lectures online. For some classes though, it is a great way to make time in ones schedule for meetings and such.</p>

<p>m2ck is correct that certain courses are offered both online and on campus, particularly those courses that are required for an online degree program. Most of the time, on campus students will have to wait until a couple weeks before the start of the semester until they can register for the online section of a course.</p>

<p>SeaTide… Are you saying that sometimes attendance is mandatory, but a student can then rewatch a video of the class to review or relearn something?</p>

<p>m2ck, My AMS class is that way. Attendance is mandatory, but the recordings are posted in case we want them or happen to miss class.</p>

<p>My experience concurs with that of crazyinalabama11.</p>

<p>*Attendance is mandatory, but the recordings are posted in case we want them or happen to miss class. *</p>

<p>That’s great…so if you think you misheard or didn’t catch an explanation of something in regular class, you can go online and listen again.</p>