DegreeWorks

<p>Hi again, y’all!</p>

<p>OK, so son and I are trying to figure out DegreeWorks, without much luck. Can’t even get the training videos to run.</p>

<p>Right now, the “sample fall-semester curriculum” they’ve arranged for DS is seriously faulty. (It puts him in non-Honors western Civ and in a Fine Arts course that doesn’t interest him; assigns him to Eng 101 although his SAT composite automatically qualifies him for Eng 103; etc.) We tried to do the Planner and What If? scenarios to explore alternatives, but we can’t figure out how they work.</p>

<p>Sorry for being so dumb, but would really appreciate help.</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Has your son done Bama Bound yet? He probably will receive instruction about DegreeWorks there. Sample is just that, a sample. They may be loading in a sample schedule just so you can see what DegreeWorks looks like. (BTW, the videos are not working on my computer at the moment) </p>

<p>My son went to see someone last fall in the registrar’s office to get something fixed. They were more than happy to assist him when he pointed out a slight error.</p>

<p>While DegreeWorks is a powerful tool that works very well for the majority of students, one has to be aware of its many limitations, particularly when a student is in a more complicated degree program. I know that DegreeWorks does not actually show the correct requirements for my triple major as the current system does not have the ability to input the third major outside of the “What If” function. I assume that momreads’s son has also ran into this issue. I’ve also had discussions about how there are now less ways to earn honors credit, such as no longer being able to take other universities’ honors classes, now that the Honors College is on DegreeWorks versus the paper-based system.</p>

<p>Your son should get a tutorial to DegreeWorks at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all! We’re going to Bama Bound 5/31-6/1, but we were under the impression that we should have a pretty good idea of his first-semester classes before then, so we could expedite the process…?</p>

<p>Here is what works for me - may not be best way.</p>

<p>1) Planner tab > in Right frame under 2010-2012 catalog, go through and add all planned classes by code from UA catalog (ie; “EN 101” “3” credits) must have correct code/ number of credits. (DS’s degree had spread sheet from dept’s page, I used that)</p>

<p>Do all courses for entire degree(s) with minors and concentrations, rough breakdown by yr & semester - you can play more with ‘when’ after you get them all in.
I put ‘transfer credits’ in summer session so the system would ‘see’ them, and added notes to the advisor to explain. (Copy/paste notes works better then typing them in directly)</p>

<p>2) Name & Save Plan.
3) Click > Check all terms</p>

<p>4) On Left panel > Click “show what if options”
5) >add all degrees and minors and concentrations, from pull-downs.
(What if’s are not saveable, lost when browser is closed)</p>

<p>6) Click > “Hide what what if options”</p>

<p>7) On Right panel again > click “process new”.</p>

<p>After a short “processing data” The Left panel will now show how your entered courses compare to University requirements. Missing items will have pull-downs of courses to correct errors.</p>

<p>Very nice when you get the data in, allows you to see how the entire schedule will work,
Semester course load etc., But not perfect - I added notes to explain where it was wrong
(ie; course listed as a computer requirement instead of used as a science requirement)</p>

<p>8) Fix errors on Right> ‘save’ > ‘process new’ — until you have a good plan.</p>

<p>I screwed up my first attempts so badly I had to email the Registrar and have them delete my plans - Take your time, it does not like errors. I can not get it to work with more than one plan, it refuses to allow changes to which plan is active - I suggest just do one plan.</p>

<p>I ended up emailing some Prof’s and departments to see when courses would be offered.
Everyone was very helpful.</p>

<p>Good luck, let me know if it works for you.</p>

<p>WOW, thanks!! I will definitely try this tonight. :)</p>

<p>I can’t imagine using DegreeWorks at this point (incoming frosh).</p>

<p>*We’re going to Bama Bound 5/31-6/1, but we were under the impression that we should have a pretty good idea of his first-semester classes before then, so we could expedite the process…? *</p>

<p>Yes, you should…but I wouldn’t use DegreeWorks for that.</p>

<p>Is your son a history major with a Classics minor?</p>

<p>“I can’t imagine using DegreeWorks at this point (incoming frosh).”</p>

<p>Thanks m2ck. Son received an email from UA urging him to become familiar with DegreeWorks before Bama Bound. I think my son watched an on-line tutorial and played with it a little (as did I), and we were about to invest more time trying to figure out how to put in AP credits, etc so that we could use it for this incoming fall semester. I think we will stick to paper and pen until we get to Bama Bound.</p>

<p>Diane…I’ve forgotten…will your son have any AP Credits?</p>

<p>Random…I agree…at this point…paper and pencil is much easier and referring to the undergrad catalog.</p>

<p>Degreeworks doesn’t know a person’s interests…such as what classes he might want to take for Fine Arts or Foreign Language, etc. There are too many choices for Gen Ed/Core to rely on something that’s just going to arbitrarily suggest stuff.</p>

<p>Yes, randomparent, we received that same email! :wink: And mom2ck – actually, DS has decided to double-major in both History and Classics. (Professor Kirk Summers suggested this, and DS is all for it. DH thinks it’s a great idea, too.)</p>

<p>No, mom2ck, no AP credits. :frowning: We are home schoolers; therefore out of the AP loop.</p>

<p>But Professor Summers wants John to start with 200-level Greek and 300-level Latin. (He said it’s not necessary for him to take the placement test, since he has already had so much Latin and Greek, and he has scored 800 on the Latin SAT II.)</p>

<p>I’m not sure John really wants to “place out of” any other courses. The History major does not have a very rigorous math or science requirement. Might as well take those math/sci classes (rather than skipping) to get a more well-rounded education.</p>

<p>Degreeworks doesn’t know a person’s interests…such as what classes he might want to take for Fine Arts or Foreign Language, etc.</p>

<p>Agreed! It’s just the Computer Brain trying to figure things out for you, and computers can only go so far. :D</p>

<p>What does concern me a bit, though, is the fact that Latin and Greek are not even included among the FL options. It’s all modern languages. But I’m sure this is all OK, and I agree totally re pencil and paper!</p>

<p>*is the fact that Latin and Greek are not even included among the FL options. *</p>

<p>these are the classes that are FL options.</p>

<p>Foreign Language (FL)Subject Number Class Name Type
ARB 101/102 Elementary Arabic FL
CHI 101/102 Elementary Chinese FL
CROA 101/102 Elementary Croatian FL
CZE 101/102 Elementary Czech FL
DUT 101/102 Elementary Dutch FL
FR 101/102 Elementary French FL
FR 103 French First Year Review FL
GN 101/102 Elementary German FL
GN 103 Accelerated Elementary German FL
GR 101/102 Elementary Greek FL
HEB 101/102 Elementary Hebrew FL
HIN 101/102 Elementary Hindi FL
INDO 101/102 Elementary Indonesian FL
IT 101/102 Elementary Italian FL
JA 101/102 Elementary Japanese FL
KOR 101/102 Elementary Korean FL
LA 101/102 Elementary Latin FL
MDGR 101/102 Elementary Modern Greek FL
NOR 101 Elementary Norwegian FL
POL 101/102 Elementary Polish FL
POR 101/102 Elementary Portuguese FL
RUS 101/102 Elementary Russian FL
SAN 101/102 Elementary Sanskrit FL
SP 101/102 Elementary Spanish FL
SP 103 Intensive Review Introductory Spanish FL

• SP 104 Spanish for Engineering FL
    SWA 101/102 Elementary Swahili FL
    SWED 101/102 Elementary Swedish FL
    THAI 101/102 Elementary Thai FL
    TURK 101/102 Elementary Turkish FL
    URDU 101 Elementary Urdu FL
    VIET 101/102 Elementary Vietnamese FL</p>

<ul>
<li>UA Only - not currently a State-wide (AGSC) approved core course</li>
</ul>

<p>Do you have a hard copy of the Undergrad catalog?</p>

<p>If not, here’s the online version:
2010-12 catalog [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama) </p>

<p>Here’s the link to tell you which classes fulfill Core/GenEd
[Core</a> Curriculum – General Studies Course Listing | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-2]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-2)</p>

<p>Core/Gen Ed</p>

<p>Core Gen Ed</p>

<p>CORE CURRICULUM/GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Applicable to students who begin their college careers fall 1998 and after, except for students enrolled in the College of Engineering (see “College of Engineering Core Curriculum/General Education Requirements” below).</p>

<p>To achieve a general education while pursuing a specific concentration in a chosen field of study, each undergraduate student will construct a curriculum that includes coursework in the following areas:</p>

<ol>
<li>6 semester hours of written composition (FC).</li>
<li>6 semester hours in 300- and 400-level courses, preferably in the student’s major, approved for the writing (W) designation. The (W) designation indicates that one of the conditions for a passing grade is that students write coherent, logical and carefully edited prose in a minimum of two papers, at least one of which will be graded and returned before mid-semester. All (W) designated courses are taught and graded by instructors who have at least the master’s degree and preferably are limited to an enrollment of no more than 35 students. The (W) requirement must be satisfied with courses taken on this campus.</li>
<li><p>6 semester hours of one of the following:
1. 6 semester hours in courses that are approved for the computer (C) designation. These courses either substantially integrate the application of appropriate software or require writing computer programs. Students must make extensive use of the computer as a condition for passing the course. Courses approved for the (C) designation assume that students have a working knowledge of the computer.</p>

<pre><code> or
2. 2 semesters in one foreign language (FL). A grade of “C” or better must be earned in the first-semester course of the two-semester sequence that fulfills the requirement before the student will be allowed to enroll in the second semester course. Students with two or more high-school units of a foreign language will be assigned to foreign language courses by the foreign language advisors on the basis of placement test scores. Students placed into FR 103, SP 103, or intermediate courses (FR 201, SP 201) will satisfy this requirement in one semester.
</code></pre>

<p>Note: These 6 hours are in addition to the requirements for humanities or mathematics.</p></li>
<li><p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the humanities and fine arts (HU, L & FA) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the fine arts (FA) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the literature (L) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history.</p></li>
<li><p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the history (HI) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history.</p></li>
<li><p>11 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences and mathematics (N & MA) designations, to include 8 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences (N) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the mathematics (MA) designation. This mathematics requirement must be satisfied with MATH 110 or higher.</p></li>
<li><p>Pre-professional, major and/or elective courses applicable to the student’s declared major program of study. Students are to consult with their major departments/program areas for specific course designations that fulfill this requirement.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>A course may be used to satisfy only one core requirement. For example, if a course carries a designation for both foreign language (FL) and humanities (HU), it may only be used to satisfy one of these core requirements. An additional course or courses must be completed to satisfy the remaining requirement.</p>

<p>A student may satisfy some general education course requirements by demonstration of competence on a proficiency examination such as the CLEP subject examination.</p>

<p>Review of general education (core curriculum) courses is an ongoing process. New courses may be approved and added to the list of those that meet core curriculum requirements. The Core designations for existing courses may be discontinued. A course carries general education designation if the course is approved at the time the course is taken. The student must consult the general education designations as found in the appropriate section of the schedule of classes booklet to ensure that the general education designation is in effect at the time the course is taken.</p>

<p>General education credit may be earned for courses taken at another institution, provided the courses transfer as the equivalents of courses that have been approved for general education credit at The University of Alabama. The (W) requirement must be satisfied in courses taken at The University of Alabama.</p>

<p>randomparent: No need to worry about putting in AP/IB/dual enrollment credits on DegreeWorks. Alabama should take care of that. The only thing that a student should do is double check what is listed. That way, if there is a concern or issue, a student can go to the registrar and point out the error.</p>

<p>Using the paper and pen method is best. Before Bama Bound, have your student come up with some ideas as to which classes he wants to take. Make sure you list at least 12 hours. The preliminary list will speed up registration for classes.</p>

<p>True…</p>

<p>If at some point, you see that something was credited properly on DegreeWorks, contact the Registrar. Son had to do that with his CBHP class. For some reason, the math dept has to actually “ok” that those 2 CBHP with cover the “C” designation req’t. It was a minor “blip” but easily taken care of. </p>

<p>I have to say that I have found Bama to be very accomodating about many things…with minor blips easily rectified. </p>

<p>Older son had a more serious blip this semester. He forgot to notify housing that he was graduating, so he would be ending his contract at The Bluff in May (stayin at The Bluff normally includes summer). So, Bama billed us about $2200 to cover summer. He sent an email to housing and they sent him a new contract to sign. Upon receipt of the faxed “late” contract, Bama canceled the $2200 charge. Obviously, if this had happened in the “real world,” he would have been on the hook for that extra charge.</p>

<p>Degree-works is not a substitute for pencil, paper and hard thought - its just a planning aid. Once you get use to the user interface, it’s easy to navigate.</p>

<p>Just don’t click the Lock button - you can not unlock a locked plan.</p>

<p>DS is thinking seriously about majors, interests, careers and coursework.
He saw a Geography class on computerized mapping that really interested him -
put it into Degree Works thinking elective, discovered it fulfills a computer requirement. So he can avoid a class he did not want and take one he did want, and schedule the prerequisite course in advance.
(He was planning on “getting that computer class out of the way” first semester)</p>

<p>A couple courses that he was mildly interested in - turned out to have prerequisites that were no-goes. By choosing his core requirements, adding in degree requirements, it’s the start of a plan (which is very flexible) of where he is headed.</p>

<p>IMHO Incoming freshman are well served to get familiar with Degree Works, the college catalog, courses required for majors and minors as well as the University Core requirements (A concept that DS still insists is “Bogus”)</p>

<p>Thanks, mom2ck, re FL list. I stand corrected! </p>

<p>Actually, DS is waaaaay beyond both elementary Latin and elementary Greek. That is why Professor Summers suggested 200-level Greek and 300-level Latin, and he said DS would not have to test for that. I assume all of this will be taken care of at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>Also–mom2ck, thanks much for those core requirements!</p>

<p>BTW, does anyone know whether art history courses can satisfy the Fine Arts core requirement?</p>

<p>Also: History major “requires the completion of a minor.” If one is double-majoring, then is a minor really necessary? Can the second major take the place of the requirted minor? Does anyone know?</p>

<p>Sorry for so many pesky questions. :)</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Diane</p>