Early Decision-Merit Scholarships

Which decision( ED or EA) would a strong candidate have a good chance of receiving better merit scholarships at University of Miami? Can an applicant still receive good scholarships when applying ED?

Great question…bump anyone?

I wouldn’t apply ED unless you’re 100% certain that the []_[] is your first choice AND you have gotten reassurance from your parents that they are able/willing to meet the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) using the net price calculator. If there is even a shadow of a doubt, apply EA.

Which decision holds the best opportunity for better merit scholarships? Is one way better than the other?

Colleges use merit to attract the strongest candidates who have other options. Since ED is binding, you can guess that they are less likely to distribute it to ED candidates. If you are on the higher end of their stats pool, wait for RD. If you aren’t, then you probably wouldn’t get merit anyway.

The general thought is that ED applicants are at a disadvantage when it comes to merit scholarships. They already have your commitment to attend, so why should they offer you financial inducement in the form of merit scholarships? But some schools do give them out to ED applicants. I can tell you my son received generous merit scholarships form Miami, as an EA applicant.

Thank you! Your input helps.

@vistajay , do you recall if your son got the scholarship invite before or after the EA admission notice?

@rtpstudent , at the time of his EA acceptance he received a $23,000 scholarship. Later, he was invited to attend the Stamps/Singer Scholarship weekend.

Thanks, that is the response I was hoping for…

@vistajay, are you talking about EA this year?

@Reelp0310 , no last year.

Question, did any of you get a grant and then merit scholarship later or both at the same time