Early graduation from high school and applying to music school

I can’t speak for anyone else, but this is all I meant. I have seen it go both ways. The fact that your child drove the acceleration process speaks volumes to me.

With a kid still at middle school age, I’d just be ready for anything and keep options open and follow where the kid leads. With a homeschooled kid, it’s a lot easier to go deep and wide and follow some atypical paths for a kid than a kid who might just be done with particular B&M school situation when you don’t have other local options to explore. We certainly had an advantage being in range to a lot of good enrichment and dual enrolling as a (well prepared) teen is very typical here.

3 Likes

Homeschooling ‘at times’ is not the same thing as doing it full-time, 100% as your schooling choice, fwiw. We don’t have to get into a big discussion about that and I agree that there are all kinds of ways to educate a kid, but it’s just not the same.

I disagree but hey, we can agree on disagreeing :slight_smile: I do appreciate your feedback and comments.

That’s kind of where we are at. I posted as an exploratory thing, thinking out loud. This could go many ways but I predict it’s not going to be standard, whatever she does.

I agree with @compmom that age 13 is too early to be considering this. I know you are not considering her to graduate now and not until age 16, but just saying, not sure I would get too heavily invested yet in the idea while still 13, and see how things go later. As well, a big part of college life is social and emotional readiness and so you want to make sure that is gonna be a good fit when she is 16, which you might not be able to fully assess yet.

Also, I NEVER contemplated my kid graduating HS a year early (on top of her early entrance to K which obviously was a parental decision). She begged us to let her do it (midway through tenth) and articulated strong reasons in all developmental areas, all which she wrote in a statement to her colleges as well, and was backed up by the school counselor’s report to colleges. In fact, I recall her elementary school talking to us about skipping 6th grade, but we didn’t do it as she already was one year ahead in school chronologically. It was not a problem in elementary school because we had multi-age classes and she was always in a class with grades above her grade in it (except in 6th grade). Little did I know then she’d eventually skip 12th grade anyway.

@soozievt your daughter is clearly extraordinary!

I don’t think that’s what was meant. I think this poster implied that you wanted your student to gain a more in depth music education, not necessarily become a professional musician. I don’t think they meant that you were looking for your kid to enter music education as a career.

@Musicaspirant is that right?

I am familiar with many of the posters on this thread and in general, the advice being given so far is respectful and helpful. The OP can be assured that people who are posting here mean well.

If the OP wants to close this thread, please let me know by flagging the thread. Let’s refrain from accusations meanwhile.

7 Likes

I wanted to hear from other parents who’ve done what we’re considering doing.

I appreciate those who addressed my actual question and respond with open-mindedness, support and kindness. Thank you, I do appreciate your comments whether I agree with them or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m an old-timer (joined in 2010) who continues to check in here periodically because I find this community incredibly supportive and useful for music parents (which I still consider myself to be even though my son is now seven years out of college). I agree with @Lindagaf that the posters on this thread are trying to be helpful and mean well, even if you may not agree with their points of view.

I probably also fall on the “what’s the rush” end of the spectrum. Perhaps because my son defied convention in the other direction, taking a gap year between high school and college to work on his musical development, which he found it incredibly helpful. He has made a living full time with his music since graduating from college. That said, I recognize that every individual is different, and perhaps early entry to college will be the right choice for your daughter. I would offer three observations - take them for what you will but know that I mean well:

(1) Don’t try to make the decision now. Your daughter will develop over the coming years in ways you can’t predict today.

(2) Let it be your daughter’s decision. Don’t push her in either direction.

(3) College is a time for independence. If your daughter is not ready to do it on her own, wait until she is.

5 Likes

I’m coming to the party very late here, but just wanted to add a bit of feedback. I have a high academically achieving son who just went through the audition process this year and was accepted to all of the top conservatories on violin. I am assuming from your description that your child likely plays one of the very competitive instruments (violin, piano, or cello).

No matter how mature, no matter homeschool or not, if your child is set on music, you need to give her as much time as possible to hone her craft before auditioning. I would not suggest auditioning early for the bachelors. Your child will be much better off spending those years in an intense pre-college music program advancing her skills, whether she has finished her academic studies or not. In the top pre-college music programs, most of the kids do some sort of online school or homeschooling, and there is a wide range of paces. Some are doing mostly college courses; others do the bare minimum so they have more hours to practice. Some finish a year or two early while others do not. A few attend regular schools. Many of these kids are incredibly gifted musicians, and many are also academically gifted. They are using the extra time to develop into top notch players while doing competitions, giving performances, and so forth.

In your shoes, what I would be doing is applying to the top pre-college music programs. There are really only a few. Those that are standard pre-college programs are Colburn Academy, Music Institute of Chicago Academy, and Juilliard Pre-College. NEC Prep (in conjunction with Walnut Hill or not) and CIM Academy are also potentially excellent but run a bit differently. Curtis is early admission only, though younger students don’t officially start studying for their degree until usually age 18.

Most of these programs have already held auditions for this year, but look for information starting as early as the fall for audition and application procedures. I’m happy to provide more info on them if you would like.

3 Likes

Thanks. A friend mentioned Blair Academy which is part of Vanderbilt apparently. Know anything about that? I’d never heard of it before.

It is their precollege and adult program. Blair Academy | Blair School of Music | Vanderbilt University

It is a “committed to serving students of all ages and ability levels.” This may or may not be at a higher level than the precollege program your child already attends. It may provide her with a weekly orchestra experience at a higher level than is currently available to her. It may also give her access to a teacher who can take her farther than her current one.

Blair doesn’t sound like a program for which one upends ones life to move to, in order to attend. It sounds like a community program. If it is within weekly travel distance for you, it might be an option. Juilliard precollege is one that people move to NYC from across the world so that their child can attend. Admission is extremely competitive. They do offer financial aid. It is a full day, including private lesson, small ensemble, large ensemble, ear training, and theory. Those who are local can attend Juilliard student performances during the week, and can also take advantage of free and reduced price tickets to performances at Juilliard and often at Lincoln Center.

1 Like

Blair’s precollege program has produced a few outstanding and competitive students, but it is not the same level of program that I am thinking about. There are lots of pretty good precollege programs all around the country. There are only a few that are really top notch. Here’s a general round-up based on our experiences:

Juilliard Pre-college – great program, all ages, full day Saturday program, very competitive, all instruments. Range of skill is high to extremely high. It’s a very large program, though, so you may not have as much individualized attention or opportunities. May not be able to study with college-level faculty. Long history of producing top students. Some students just fly in or take train in for the weekend.

Colburn Academy – small program, high school only, activities mostly weekend and evenings. Smaller, more individualized program. All instruments, very competitive. I’m pretty sure all the students live there or close by. Newer program, so not as much history, but its grads are doing very well.

Music Institute of Chicago Academy – strings and piano only, 12+, very small (<30). My son attended here. Very individualized and nurturing but still competitive for admission. Most people come for specific violin or cello faculty. Kids drive/fly in from the whole midwest. All day Saturday plus at least one other day for lesson. Grads are doing really well, winning/placing in tons of major international competitions etc.

Curtis Early Entry – auditioning early for Curtis. Must meet repertoire and playing standards for college admission regardless of age. Kids attend middle/high school and live off campus until they have graduated or reached age 18. Kids are slowly integrated into various aspects of the program based on age. Truly a prodigy program for those who enter very early (11-15); less so for those who are 16-17. Extremely competitive.

CIM Academy – this program has changed in the last year or two, so I am not entirely sure how it is working currently. It used to be a half day program every day of the week for a small group of very advanced high schoolers but it looks like it has expanded. Some of the chamber groups from the older program were excellent, but I am not entirely sure how it is being run now.

NEC Prep – this is different in that there is not a separate advanced or Academy program. You have to piece together the different components of the program (theory, orchestra, chamber music, lessons, etc.). Having said that, there is access to the top teachers and classes if your child qualifies. Program entry is non-competitive, but spots in top orchestras and with top teachers is.

There are numerous other arts schools and prep programs that are decent quality but not as competitive. For boarding there is Walnut Hill (with NEC), Interlochen, NC School of Arts, and Idyllwild. There are several other decent programs in NY (Manhattan, Mannes, Kaufman), and scattered good programs around like Temple/PYO, San Francisco Conservatory Prep, etc. But these are either less competitive or don’t have the same separate program as some of the others above.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information. I greatly appreciate it!